Terrible, horrific product

You know what? I think Tennessee is purposefully shooting poorly. I think it’s all a conspiracy by our lousy coach to play this tough stretch of games so he could piss everyone off and get fired. I mean, since basketball is only a 12-game season, I guess 5 games is a really good sample size.

I distinctly heard ZZ yell "BRICK" when he shot one. Clearly calling his non-shot. Then did a choking gesture to himself.

It's a huge conspiracy and they are mocking us.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Have they done away with the three second rule?

Still on the books, still getting called in other games, but certainly not in the game last night.

I expect to see more of the same today from Dickinson, except he does occasionally move from the top of the key down. Edey just stands and turns under the rim all day long.

You know what? I think Tennessee is purposefully shooting poorly. I think it’s all a conspiracy by our lousy coach to play this tough stretch of games so he could piss everyone off and get fired. I mean, since basketball is only a 12-game season, I guess 5 games is a really good sample size.
I sense your sarcasm. Of course no one thinks Tennessee is purposefully shooting poorly and I don't doubt their effort. It might just be true that they aren't a very good offensive team overall. The players they brought in, Dalton and Gainey, have certainly added some offensive spark, but the team that was here before might really just be limited offensively and until we get new players in this might just be how it is. But it is still early so we will see. JJJ has been playing well offensively which is good to see.

These refs remind me of umpires who are inconsistent with their strike zones. Even Bilas was commmenting on how things that weren't a foul in the first half are now being called a foul.

Even if they would pick a lane and stick to it would be an improvement. If you're going to call it tight, call it tight all game and allow the teams a chance to adjust. But really the default should be let them play and start calling obvious fouls and not touch fouls. I don't even think the officials could tell you what the actual foul was if you forced them to watch replay. I especially don't get the ones where the defender is just standing there and is jumped into and they call a defensive foul.

There were a lot of issues. Fouling out Awaka in that manner was clownishly bad. It really hurt us.

The worst was Edey regularly spending 8+ seconds in the lane and zero 3 second calls.

Wilt standing under the basket and dominating is why they widened the lane and made 3 seconds a thing. It's impossible to deal with someone who is 7'4 if he doesn't have to leave the paint.
That is absolutely true but refs don’t call 3 seconds anymore. If I was Edey, I’d camp out till they call it. Can’t blame him.

You do realize that statistically Purdue and Tennessee had almost identical FG and 3-pt shooting percentages for the game? The difference was the FT disparity.
And rebounding. You can’t give up 17 offensive rebounds and beat many folks.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Tennessee missed wide open shots all game. It seems like whenever they play great defensively in big games like this, they have a bad offensive night and don't take advantage. It's always their offense that costs them and it seems to happen way too often.
I think a lot of that comes back to settling for jump shots, 3s in particular, too much. This team is far better offensively than most of the teams under Barnes and it’s early in the year so I expect this to get better. I’d like to see Knecht be a little more assertive offensively as he’s by far our best scorer.

I think a lot of that comes back to settling for jump shots, 3s in particular, too much. This team is far better offensively than most of the teams under Barnes and it’s early in the year so I expect this to get better. I’d like to see Knecht be a little more assertive offensively as he’s by far our best scorer.
Knecht is no doubt our best scorer but he was too aggressive driving the ball last night. Dribbled into the middle too much with 2 or 3 guys collapsing on him. It appeared that Barnes wanted him to shoot the jumper a little more and I think that’s why he yanked him for a period of time.

I had no idea how good an athlete he is until I’ve seen him in person. Quick off the dribble, good shooting form and can flat out get off the floor quickly. He has surprised several defenders how quickly he jumps.

Tennessee missed wide open shots all game. It seems like whenever they play great defensively in big games like this, they have a bad offensive night and don't take advantage. It's always their offense that costs them and it seems to happen way too often.
One thing overlooked in the last two games is that Purdue & Kansas outrebounded the Vols with a combined 89-67. You can't beat teams getting outrebounded like that.

Great save Purdue! Just when you thought you knocked it out of bounds, you make an illusionary save and push it up the court and score!

View attachment 597266
Wow!! And attempting 48 free throws!! Really does make you wonder with the increase in and ease of gambling and making bets on games even by the quarter or real-time live bets have affected the way games are officiated not only in basketball but every sport.
Very concerning because I can’t even say I wouldn’t be tempted to make some quick cash on a couple well placed bets that I had the control of the outcome for the most part of.
But that picture of the ball easily seen to be out of bounds and 48 free throws really raises eyebrows. most of the time corruption is the result of greed and money. The NCAA is about as corrupt of an organization as they come

Reactions: 6th Floor Mule
This is over their heads. Don't waste your time.
Also just looked at the play-by-play from the last 2 games and Tennessee had zero And1s in both. Gotta be aggressive to and finish at the rim through the contact when they get the contact.

I’m not talking about the basketball team. I’m talking about the dreadful, embarrassing, incompetent bozos that are called officials.

How has this continued? How daft is the NCAA that this once great product, an American staple of sports and entertainment, has now become unwatchable because of shoddy, blowhard officials who can barely get up and down the court and have the vision of a bat?

They’ve ruined the sport. There are other issues. I get it. But I watched this game and wasn’t entertained. I didn’t enjoy this. I didn’t think “wow what a fun game between two potential Final Four teams”. No. I had to watch 78 FREE THROWS IN A 40 MINUTE GAME and watch these morons call everything under the sun. This isn’t even anything against Purdue. I don’t think this was rigged. Referees are this idiotic and greedy and selfish that they want to ruin a once fun product. And the impotent NCAA, while TV ratings plummet, sits idly by and lets this injustice happen.

College basketball is ruined.
They keep changing the college game to try an look like pro games. I don't watch pro games because I don't like the pro game. And never, ever forget that both games are now sponsored by the gambling organizations.

I don’t think there are any officials smart enough to remember more than 3 or 4 rules. They’re like cops who ignore the left lane law or the no passing on the right law because they’re too preoccupied with speeding tickets and yellow lights turning red.

I saw several hook and holds. That was a very popular call back in 2019. I saw guys blocking out with their arms. I saw over the back and 3 seconds. None of these calls were made. All the refs called called was reaching.. reaching! Not even contact needed to warrant a foul. Just following the ball with a hand. That’s a foul this year.

33-11 FT disparity

The NCAA has decided to protect a 7’4 awkward ogre for a Midwest team that hadn’t made the Final Four in 44 years for whatever reason. That awkward goon getting to do whatever he wants and treated like 1993 Michael Jordan is the biggest crock of ****.

I hate this product.

VN Store

Back