Tennessee's Third Offer Was Tempting, Says Gundy

That would’ve been a terrible hire for us. And we never should’ve offered anyway. No chance he was going to leave ok state. He was a qb there for Christ state. That’s his school. And he had a couple of boys that were in high school qbing their schools. So damn stupid we ever went after him. If he would taken the job he wouldn’t h e done well. He doesn’t recruit the south or have any connections to the schools necessary to recruit at. Our administrators have made us the laughs stock of college football. It was bizarre that we chose hart and then Currie. Neither should’ve had that job

BVS has made some people wary of winning. They wear the loveable loser badge with the pride of a pre-2016 Cubs fan and hate the idea of being crowded into the backseat when the bandwagon fills up. Can't think of any other explanation that doesn't involve brain damage.
Love the Cubs analogy. Go Cards, and as always, Go Vols!

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
If we would have hired mullet this forum would have went nuts with excitement. Hardly anyone even knew of Pruitt much less was campaigning to get him on as head coach. The mental gymnastics is actually amazing within this fanbase. Orange lenses are Coke bottle thick that's for sure

To summarize: On one side we have some names who have built programs and won pretty big at times in places where it is hard to do. On the other side we have a bunch of folks who have a good feeling, most of whom had the same feeling about the last couple of hires after one season. Probably just need to go ahead and pin a coaching search thread at the top of the forum.

Gundy would have made us respectable, but hes not winning any championships here. I would rather take the unknown with Pruitt and his recruiting in the SEC, who knows maybe we have a chance one day.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I have to admit I was shocked when I just read that Pruitt was only 45 years old. I had no idea. Much younger than I realized.
If the stars all line up and Pruitt gets a blood infusion of Big Orange, that means he'll be around a while attempting to woop ya'lls ass !
Some of us are fine with Pruitt and all the Gundy's out there can go pound sand !

Pruitt is undoubtedly a better FOOTBALL coach than Gundy (and probably 99% of all college football coaches in the country)....

And you called MY comment dumb?

“Undoubtedly a better coach” based on what, you? Pruitt is clearly NOT a better football coach, he’s 5-7 in his barely-off-the-ground head coaching career. Gundy has held a job as a head coach for 15 years! Gundy has coached in 13 Bowl games and won 9 of them. Pruitt has coached in and won ZERO Bowl games. Pruitt is two more 5-6 loss seasons from dudes like you running him out of town.

Oh, but in your opinion, not only is Pruitt far superior to Gundy, but also far superior to “probably 99% of the coaches in the country.”

Bye.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purple Tiger
“No doubt?”

One coach is 121-59, is only 52 years old and has been a head coach for 15 years, has a 12-1 season and an 11-2 season under his belt, a 9-4 Bowl record. The other is 5-7, been a head coach for one year.

I have to admit I was shocked when I just read that Pruitt was only 45 years old. I had no idea. Much younger than I realized.
It's the bald head. It makes it harder to guess age. Up until about 10 years ago, a man with male pattern baldness would leave as much hair as he could possibly grow on top, until he was left with a horseshoe. The trend now, is to shave it all off once it even starts.

Reactions: Jaws
If we would have hired mullet this forum would have went nuts with excitement. Hardly anyone even knew of Pruitt much less was campaigning to get him on as head coach. The mental gymnastics is actually amazing within this fanbase. Orange lenses are Coke bottle thick that's for sure
That is going too far. The only hire that was going to make this fan base go nuts was Gruden. Gundy would have been more than acceptable, however. I would not have objected at all. I just don't understand why we have pursued him again and again after he had already turned us down or why we were going to pay him $5 million per year. Currie should have known it was just a ploy to get the deal he wanted from Oklahoma State. Currie was in way over his head as athletic director and he really made us look foolish in the last search. That was embarrassing.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
It's the bald head. It makes it harder to guess age. Up until about 10 years ago, a man with male pattern baldness would leave as much hair as he could possibly grow on top, until he was left with a horseshoe. The trend now, is to shave it all off once it even starts.

I get it, believe me I get it. He has a mature demeanor too, that also makes him seem a little older.

IMHO, Pruitt is a much better "risk" than any of the earlier hires after Fulmer. He may not work out... but he's at least a real football coach.

I agree with the term(s) "much better risk". There is potential upside with him versus other well established coaches.

BVS has made some people wary of winning. They wear the loveable loser badge with the pride of a pre-2016 Cubs fan and hate the idea of being crowded into the backseat when the bandwagon fills up. Can't think of any other explanation that doesn't involve brain damage.

I'm comfortable with that, coming from you.

HEY Buddy don't fricking call me stupid! Purdue had nearly a MONTH to prepare for Auburn. 63-14 cannot be defended in any possible scenario. 53 Lettermen is hardly Thin. And if you recall; Tennessee beat Auburn AT Auburn; with less talent than Purdue (On paper) .
Didn't call you stupid. I said you made a stupid argument. We all do at times. Maybe it was just your turn.

HEY Buddy don't fricking call me stupid! Purdue had nearly a MONTH to prepare for Auburn. 63-14 cannot be defended in any possible scenario. 53 Lettermen is hardly Thin. And if you recall; Tennessee beat Auburn AT Auburn; with less talent than Purdue (On paper) .
Nope. Purdue isn't a talented team... yet. They did not recruit well before Brohm even for a lower tier Big 10 team. They ARE a very well coached team. Brohm's ability to do more with less is part of why I wanted him at UT. I also said they had no depth of talent. That's simply a true statement of where Purdue was and where a lot of teams like Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, and Indiana normally "live". Some MAC teams have been better at recruiting than those programs.

Purdue was 25th in recruiting last year. Brohm's first class was 51st. In the four years prior to Brohm, Purdue broke the top 70 once at 67th. There is your "possible scenario" to explain why a team that finishes top 20 in recruiting pretty much every year got on a roll and blew them out. Auburn had vastly superior athletes in every respect.

And you called MY comment dumb?

“Undoubtedly a better coach” based on what, you? Pruitt is clearly NOT a better football coach, he’s 5-7 in his barely-off-the-ground head coaching career. Gundy has held a job as a head coach for 15 years! Gundy has coached in 13 Bowl games and won 9 of them. Pruitt has coached in and won ZERO Bowl games. Pruitt is two more 5-6 loss seasons from dudes like you running him out of town.

Oh, but in your opinion, not only is Pruitt far superior to Gundy, but also far superior to “probably 99% of the coaches in the country.”

Bye.
If you look solely at Pruitt as a "coach of the game" then KB makes a solid point. He's demonstrated at multiple stops that he can coach guys up and get the most out of them.

We don't know yet if he can do the other things required to make a HC successful like leading and managing the program, recruiting as HC, et al.

Gundy has had success. I simply don't like him and do not believe he would succeed at UT or for that matter anywhere else in the SEC.

I can guarantee you I would have been less excited about Gundy than Jones or Dooley.

VN Store

Back