Tennessee's Main Weakness . . .

He maddens me when he get the ball on a rebound then brings it down to his waist. He had one big one today ripped away when he did that.
And when we were up 80-78 in OT and he stood there while LSU had 2 offensive rebounds to tie the game at 80.

we don't have a slasher, that is why it is so important to run the O through Williams. He draws the double team just like a slasher would do. He also might be our best passer so to me he should get a touch on at least 9 out of 10 possessions. I think this is one of the reasons that our assists are down. The other team goes in scramble mode to guard Williams and he hits an open man, or whoever he passes to hits an open man.

Draft Express (now at ESPN) is the top guys in the industry and has him #24 overall. The Ringer has him #9 on their big board. You can have your opinion and that's perfectly fine but don't try and act like nobody has a first round grade on him and thinks he can play in the NBA.

Anything outside the lottery is far from a guarantee and it’s just the first three picks and the proceeding eleven. The elite players are taken in the first 14 picks. Even a late first round pick in the NBA isn’t that valuable as compared to the NFL draft. It’s a much different process. Grant Williams is not a lottery pick. The NBA is a different animal. He doesn’t have the ball skills against athletic forwards that he will face nor the size to be a force down low. Forwards his size in the NBA shoot the three and handle the ball quite a bit

Anything outside the lottery is far from a guarantee and it’s just the first three picks and the proceeding eleven. The elite players are taken in the first 14 picks. Even a late first round pick in the NBA isn’t that valuable as compared to the NFL draft. It’s a much different process. Grant Williams is not a lottery pick. The NBA is a different animal. He doesn’t have the ball skills against athletic forwards that he will face nor the size to be a force down low. Forwards his size in the NBA shoot the three and handle the ball quite a bit

Grant would do well to stay another year and work on his handle and 3 pt shooting. He is being given wide open looks from 17ft and out

Draft Express (now at ESPN) is the top guys in the industry and has him #24 overall. The Ringer has him #9 on their big board. You can have your opinion and that's perfectly fine but don't try and act like nobody has a first round grade on him and thinks he can play in the NBA.
If I owned a NBA team, I am not sure I could dreaft him in the first round. As many have stated, he is not tall enought to play a 3 or 4 in the NBA and he would have to vastly improve his handle and three point shooting. His shoots inside the 15 foot area would be blocked and I am not sure he can rebound with the 6-10 and taller players who can sprint the court. If he comes back and can improve in the areas mentioned, he may make the league in 2021.

The guys talking crap can suck it. Everyone is a coach, I've enjoyed watching the games this year, we haven't had much to be excited about in a long time..... you all can Eat it!

The thing with Grant Williams is that he is what he is. Is coming back next year going to improve his draft stock? He'll still be playing the post and he'll still be a generous 6'7. He strikes me as the academic and college legacy type, though. As a GM, I would not draft him, but at the same type his stock is not getting higher. Tough call for him.

Reactions: vols 30 and Catbone
The thing with Grant Williams is that he is what he is. Is coming back next year going to improve his draft stock? He'll still be playing the post and he'll still be a generous 6'7. He strikes me as the academic and college legacy type, though. As a GM, I would not draft him, but at the same type his stock is not getting higher. Tough call for him.

Just don't see him in the NBA. What position would he play ?

Admiral, Grant, Bowden and Bone can all drive to the basket and score.......... Alexander's forte is rebounding and protecting the rim on defense and any points he scores is gravy.

We don't have a guy in the 6'4" or taller range that can put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket or get into the lane and break the defense down. How many times did Smart do that today (even though I didn't notice us try to force him left at all)? Our guards have specialized skill sets, but none of them can consistently go at the basket. They are either too short (Bone, Turner) or not aggressive enough (Bowden). This team is a lot of fun to watch and could still have a tourney run in them, but teams with size can take away our best player. As much as we play a team game, and it's beautiful to watch when it's clicking, we don't have a guy that can create his own offense when things start to stall. AS can do this at times, but his preference is pulling up for the jumper instead of taking it to the basket. His handle is also very average. JMO.

Hopefully the James kid coming in can give us this facet. GBO!

Bone can when he’s not puking with the FLU!

Imho, UT doesn’t have the elite 6’9” or taller athletic big body that can defend the post and rebound on both ends of the court.

But would another year really improve his stock?

We don't have a guy in the 6'4" or taller range that can put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket or get into the lane and break the defense down. How many times did Smart do that today (even though I didn't notice us try to force him left at all)? Our guards have specialized skill sets, but none of them can consistently go at the basket. They are either too short (Bone, Turner) or not aggressive enough (Bowden). This team is a lot of fun to watch and could still have a tourney run in them, but teams with size can take away our best player. As much as we play a team game, and it's beautiful to watch when it's clicking, we don't have a guy that can create his own offense when things start to stall. AS can do this at times, but his preference is pulling up for the jumper instead of taking it to the basket. His handle is also very average. JMO.

Hopefully the James kid coming in can give us this facet. GBO!
Yes, they lack a consistent driving threat. And, when we do it seems they run right in to the teeth of the defense.
But; I’d say the failure to defend this is a bigger weakness. It didn’t matter who was defending. Bowden, Turner and Admiral were all made to look bad, whether it was the drive or the fake where they popped the three. UT bit on all of it.

Hard to disagree with this. He started the season with some intensity but has trailed off considerably as of late. I tire of seeing him getting out-physicaled and getting his hands on the ball, only to have it ripped away from him.
I was wondering yesterday how he got as big as he is, because I can't understand how he eats with hands like his.

We’re not going to get many 5* players from Duke & UK.

Not being negative but the blue bloods pretty much get any player they want.

This may change when the FBI ends their investigation into corruption in college sports and releases their findings to the NCAA.

I have talked about how weak our bench is all year and gotten hammered for pointing it out every time. Suddenly there are a lot of posters with the same opinion. We are a 6 man team and need all 6 to be clicking. Right now they are not.

Admiral, Grant, Bowden and Bone can all drive to the basket and score.......... Alexander's forte is rebounding and protecting the rim on defense and any points he scores is gravy.

The NBA post players would eat Alexander alive. He's not strong enough nor is he physical enough. The tools might be there, but he's definitely a project.

If what your saying is correct we will not win another sec game

Won't go that far, but I think the Ole Miss game is a critical one. We can't lose that one with UK looming. Then again, if the flu is making it's way through the team, the rest of this regular season is gonna be a real grind.

Things have gone from who can beat us, to can we beat somebody, in a little over 10 days.

The team's main weakness is cold or no outside shooting (Turner and Bowden) and a weak bench.

You think our rebounding is questionable with Alexander well it's worse with Fulkerson and Walker. Pons has all but disappeared offensively. It seems his best game should be driving but I'm guessing he either doesn't have enough confidence or is not a strong enough dribbler at this point in his career.

On a day where LSU rotated plenty of size, Fulkerson barely sniffed the court in the 2nd half and Walker can't get off the bench. After seeing much of the season, I can understand why. Fulkerson at least gave us some scrappy minutes to start the year and is good for 2-4 points but rebounding and defense suffers. Walker just doesn't give anything. He will either need to improve or become a transfer candidate. We will find out about Kent next year. I think if we had one more competent big man around Kyle's size that would solve the too many minutes issue.
I don't disagree with any of those comments, but Alexander is soft and weak, he gets pushed around the whole game. I don't see a dimes worth of difference between Alexander,Fulkerson or Walker. I would say between the 3 Fulkerson gives the most effort he just don't have much skill

VN Store

Back