Tennessee's Chances ??

BACKDOC

I would love to see Tennessee win it all this year; with our history, it's probably a pipe dream. But this year might be different, and one of those reasons is how the SEC and the blue bloods are really down this year. Would someone who knows and keeps up with NCAA basketball, discuss some teams that would be a bad matchup for UT down the road. Some things I like about this team is the Defense, the fact that they don't depend on just one or two players offensively. One thing that concerns me is do they have that C Lo, or Lamonte Turner who you know is gonna drain the three pointer with 2 seconds on the clock; they haven't needed that since they tend to not ever have close games. Their depth is another big plus also. GBO

I would love to see Tennessee win it all this year; with our history, it's probably a pipe dream. But this year might be different, and one of those reasons is how the SEC and the blue bloods are really down this year. Would someone who knows and keeps up with NCAA basketball, discuss some teams that would be a bad matchup for UT down the road. Some things I like about this team is the Defense, the fact that they don't depend on just one or two players offensively. One thing that concerns me is do they have that C Lo, or Lamonte Turner who you know is gonna drain the three pointer with 2 seconds on the clock; they haven't needed that since they tend to not ever have close games. Their depth is another big plus also. GBO

Zach Edey at Purdue is a bad matchup for everybody. TN has players to throw at excellent opponents at any other position. But 7’4”, 285 makes Uros seem tiny. Aidoo and Awaka wouldn’t have much of a chance once Edey has the ball down low. ON might be able to match his offensive output.

The case for is the defensive metrics are off the charts.

The case against is below...

In KenPom era (20 yrs), Tennessee would be second worst offensive team to win a natty. Only the Kemba Walker Uconn team had worse efficiency.

I just dont see an All NBA type player on this roster who can get hot and carry a team like Kemba. You would be fighting history here....

Zach Edey at Purdue is a bad matchup for everybody. TN has players to throw at excellent opponents at any other position. But 7’4”, 285 makes Uros seem tiny. Aidoo and Awaka wouldn’t have much of a chance once Edey has the ball down low. ON might be able to match his offensive output.

We would have to double team just about every time once he got touches in the paint.

In KenPom era (20 yrs), Tennessee would be second worst offensive team to win a natty. Only the Kemba Walker Uconn team had worse efficiency.

I just dont see an All NBA type player on this roster who can get hot and carry a team like Kemba...

The offense down the stretch has the potential to be much improved especially with the way JJJ and ZZ are playing lately.

NCAA Tournament is always about matchups. If you’re fortunate that someone knocks out a team that’s is a bad matchup for you in your bracket and the remaining bracket is good matchups is all you can hope for to get to final 4.
That and no injuries.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Defense is always going to be there.
But when you have a game where the
lay up bunnies won’t even go in ( like
the UK game ), you are in trouble.

Reactions: walkenvol
It will be the early games where we’ll be vulnerable. Our strength will be our depth and that will not be a factor until we get to the sweet 16. Have to shut down those teams that use ball control and shoot well from the perimeter from getting open looks.

I agree Edey is a bad matchup for us but an interesting stat is ORN has a better 2 point percentage than Edey.

Let’s see how we finish…common themes in losses has been opposing teams that had good length on the perimeter and athletic as well, they gave our guards fits which snowballed into missing shots we normally hit. We will face Kentucky again, Bama has good guard play as well, let’s see how we look specifically against those 2 and see if the concerns are still there.

Too early to worry about Purdue, probably wouldn't see 'em until the Regional Finals or Final 4. But, imo, our defense on their freshmen guards may be a bigger mismatch than Edey against all our bigs

Against Purdue, we might try to suffocate the guards coming up the court. Push them to places where they cannot make a good entry pass.
Assuming they are a 1 seed ... we have to win 4 games before we even have a chance to play them.
Too early to be looking at that matchup.

At this second, I doubt many would exclude us from being legit contenders for a championship. We've been here before, and as we know, the best teams don't always advance in the tournament. However, yes, we have the pieces and the Ws at this time to make a strong argument that we will win it all. I wouldn't count on it, but our chances seem better than most others' if not all.

I agree Edey is a bad matchup for us but an interesting stat is ORN has a better 2 point percentage than Edey.
Edey is a bad matchup for everyone at 7’4”. But I would think with our two seven footers we probably matchup as well or better than anyone else in the country. Plav is very physical too. We are better at every other position also. Would be an interesting game I think.

I just dont see an All NBA type player on this roster who can get hot and carry a team like Kemba. You would be fighting history here....
I saw a video today that said that we were no.1 in all three shooting categories vs SEC teams. Number 1 in the sec that is.

Another thing we've got going for us that I didn't mention is experience. Unlike Bama, we are a senior laden team.

But, here’s the deal: Looking at KenPom in the context of a whole season is misleading. From January 1st until now, we are much better, so say the metrics. Moreso than most any sport, it’s not how you did earlier in the season, but what you’re doing later that counts the most.

Reactions: walkenvol
All but like one other TN squad, history tells us this team won’t make it beyond the Sweet Sixteen. Add Rick Barnes track record over the last 15 years and deep advancement becomes more of a dream.

I’m a realist.

All but like one other TN squad, history tells us this team won’t make it beyond the Sweet Sixteen. Add Rick Barnes track record over the last 15 years and deep advancement becomes more of a dream.

I’m a realist.
Are you, tho ? More like a combination of Debbie Downer and Buzz Killington

Reactions: SN-A-C Orange
Are you, tho ? More like a combination of Debbie Downer and Buzz Killington

All based on program and coach history. Plus, I think a deep tourney team needs a “go to” guy and I’m not sure we have one unless JJJ steps up.

Correct. UT would have to have an incredible awakening on offense. This is where the Barnes thing will likely always end. Yes, we are playing great defense. Guess what many teams do in the post season? They go to another gear. Barnes gets a lot out of his teams in the regular season, but they’ve never, not once hit another gear. His March record isn’t a fluke. It’s who he is. In fact, I think he’s gassing his team playing this level of defense. The one difference is he has 10 players he trusts with minutes. Maybe that helps, but I have a feeling you are going to see minutes shrink significantly in the coming weeks.

But, here’s the deal: Looking at KenPom in the context of a whole season is misleading. From January 1st until now, we are much better, so say the metrics. Moreso than most any sport, it’s not how you did earlier in the season, but what you’re doing later that counts the most.

6, 2, 1, 2, 1, 9, 3, 3, 7, 2, 19, 1, 1, 2, 1, 3, 2, 9, 17, 4

Here's the offensive KenPom rankings for the past 20 years national champs (excluding the Kemba year) or presumed #1 overall seed for COVID year.

I agree our offensive efficiency is better than it was a month ago. If the trend continues, then we will be in the teens by the end of the season and history is slightly more favorable. I do want to see if trend continues or if it's partially being impacted by a weaker confernce (in general) and back loaded SEC schedule that we havent hit yet.....

VN Store

Back