Tennessee's Chances ??

What are your thoughts on UConn and Indiana as potential Sweet 16 matchups? I don't know much about UConn, other than the fact they beat Alabama. Indiana has big guards, which concerns me.
In terms of Sweet 16 opponents, they don't terrify me but they're both good. Indiana, everything goes through Jackson-Davis and Hood-Schifino. Their length might present some issues, but I think we'd be able to give Jackson-Davis a lot of different looks from different guys. Indiana is efficient inside and outside, but don't rebound all that well. For all their perimeter length, they don't really generate many steals at all.

I haven't watched UConn much either. Looks like they foul like crazy, but otherwise play good defense. Offensively they gobble up a ton of offensive rebounds like us. Not scary from 3; decent inside the arc, so their efficiency is linked to their ability to rebound. Defensively they're doing a great job locking up other teams from 3, again similar to us although Xavier, who is elite from 3, just went 10-20 against them last week.

Anyone we play in the Sweet 16 will either be really good or really hot, so put in perspective I wouldn't fear either of these teams.

Uros has the size and the attitude that could annoy the hell out of Edey. He does not need to "stop" Edey, but if he could help limit him, even if it takes fouling out then that may be all it takes. Uros is a damn big dude and is not giving up all that much density to Edey.

He annoys the hell out of me and I love the guy !

Correct. UT would have to have an incredible awakening on offense. This is where the Barnes thing will likely always end. Yes, we are playing great defense. Guess what many teams do in the post season? They go to another gear. Barnes gets a lot out of his teams in the regular season, but they’ve never, not once hit another gear. His March record isn’t a fluke. It’s who he is. In fact, I think he’s gassing his team playing this level of defense. The one difference is he has 10 players he trusts with minutes. Maybe that helps, but I have a feeling you are going to see minutes shrink significantly in the coming weeks.
You mentioned gassing the team; the injuries to V and JJJ, might work to our advantage.

In terms of Sweet 16 opponents, they don't terrify me but they're both good. Indiana, everything goes through Jackson-Davis and Hood-Schifino. Their length might present some issues, but I think we'd be able to give Jackson-Davis a lot of different looks from different guys. Indiana is efficient inside and outside, but don't rebound all that well. For all their perimeter length, they don't really generate many steals at all.

I haven't watched UConn much either. Looks like they foul like crazy, but otherwise play good defense. Offensively they gobble up a ton of offensive rebounds like us. Not scary from 3; decent inside the arc, so their efficiency is linked to their ability to rebound. Defensively they're doing a great job locking up other teams from 3, again similar to us although Xavier, who is elite from 3, just went 10-20 against them last week.

Anyone we play in the Sweet 16 will either be really good or really hot, so put in perspective I wouldn't fear either of these teams.

Thanks for this. I don't watch many other teams like I used to, so I appreciate the insight.

So every national champion has been in Top 22 in Offensive Efficiency except for the Kemba team....

It appears more teams that win it all move more in defense metrics (makes sense with the domes)...
Yup. My point being the numbers you posted are quite a bit different, don’t need to be near that high pre tourney, much different numbers pre & post tourney where as you suggested they were almost the same.

Yup. My point being the numbers you posted are quite a bit different, don’t need to be near that high pre tourney, much different numbers pre & post tourney where as you suggested they were almost the same.
I wouldn't say that much different. Every team except for the Kemba team was Top 19 after the tourney and Top 22 before the tourney.

Historically speaking, being outside the Top 25 in Offensive Efficiency is not a recipe for winning a natty...

I wouldn't say that much different. Every team except for the Kemba team was Top 19 after the tourney and Top 22 before the tourney.

Historically speaking, being outside the Top 25 in Offensive Efficiency is not a recipe for winning a natty...

We are 30. I will take a FF anyway.

Edey is a bad matchup for nearly every team. But we do have 15 fouls to use on him with some physical defense. A lot of teams don’t have that luxury. Hold him down as best we can and stop the rest of them.
How well does he shoot foul shots?

The numbers you listed were predominantly Top 10, be are pretty darn close to Top 25

‪And this is why TN does not do well in March…it takes just one of these and it is all over. Just one. And we play these games way too often. Just a lack of consistency. ‬

Until proven otherwise . . . The greatest predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Right now UT struggles to find consistency on offense. They have games where the offense is a train wreck. It happened last year and it is happening again this year. Tonight against an average Florida team they shot 19/66 and 21% from three and lost by 13.

That pattern = an early exit in the tourney unless they break the pattern and become more consistent on offense. And that’s very unlikely.

I think UT ends up as a 2 or 3 seed . . . And gets bounced by a big 10 team in the round of 32.

‪And this is why TN does not do well in March…it takes just one of these and it is all over. Just one. And we play these games way too often. Just a lack of consistency. ‬
Yes - this type of pattern on offense is a known -
For whatever reason - with UT. I suppose it’s the same with many other teams.

I disagree. We're maddeningly consistent. Some might say....predictable. As a program, we simply do not handle success very well. Hate to say it, but one has to admire what Bama and now UGA do on the football field. To maintain that level of play and success for so long is damned impressive. There's a mindset that programs like that have that allows them to have staying power. We just don't seem to have found that secret sauce.

I disagree. We're maddeningly consistent. Some might say....predictable. As a program, we simply do not handle success very well. Hate to say it, but one has to admire what Bama and now UGA do on the football field. To maintain that level of play and success for so long is damned impressive. There's a mindset that programs like that have that allows them to have staying power. We just don't seem to have found that secret sauce.
Well…I cannot argue with that😉

VN Store

Back