Tennessee Women's Basketball Deserves one of the top 5 coaches

I have never said Holly should remain coaching forever while the Lady Vols under achieve.

But, people wanting to fire her, and think that the magical "Top 5" coach will jump at the chance to coach at Tennessee, is ludicrous.
Why is it ludicrous? The tenn women’s b-ball program is one of the top 2 programs all time, it’s like Bama in football... would you say the same about them? “ g guys who would want to come to Bama and coach football?” Sounds really stupid to me.

Rick Barnes' salary is 2.25 million. Warlick's was 665,000 before the last extension. No wonder the men have a good coach and the women have a poor coach.

Why is it ludicrous? The tenn women’s b-ball program is one of the top 2 programs all time, it’s like Bama in football... would you say the same about them? “ g guys who would want to come to Bama and coach football?” Sounds really stupid to me.

You can TRY to get any of the currently elite coaches, Geno at UCONN, Scheafer at State, for instance, but UT is not going to get them.

Saban was not even Alabama's first choice as head coach. They were turned down by several other coaches (including Steve Spurrier who was then South Carolina's coach) before they turned to Saban, and Saban turned down Bama until Alabama offered him a salary that made him the highest paid coach in college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcannon1
IMO only a sexist would eliminate any person from any job because of the arrangement of their genitalia. Not to speak of how ironic it would be to close off this particular coaching job to either gender since Pat's exact crusade was for gender equality.

Personally I don't care if the next coach is male, female, or any stop in between. Nor do I care if they are white, black, or pink and purple polka dot as long as they can exert control over the team, adjust during games, develop talent, and make Lady Vol Basketball fun again.[/QUOT
IMO only a sexist would eliminate any person from any job because of the arrangement of their genitalia. Not to speak of how ironic it would be to close off this particular coaching job to either gender since Pat's exact crusade was for gender equality.

Personally I don't care if the next coach is male, female, or any stop in between. Nor do I care if they are white, black, or pink and purple polka dot as long as they can exert control over the team, adjust during games, develop talent, and make Lady Vol Basketball fun again.
Pat held a powerhouse regime and during the ' coaching by commitee' days and her illness, much consideration for her successor should have been highly deliberated . Securing a top notch coach back in those days would have been far more successful than now. Without the regime many elite coaches ( with the exception of Geno) may have 'sold their soul' at the opportunity.
Within this well structured, well organized regime was Demott, Pat's right hand woman and confidant. Not chosen.There was
three lieutenants, Holly, Nikki,Dean who could also succeed her. Each had distinct functions by her side.
Dean's gender and longevity would have caused a uproar. Nikki had the best coaching potential among the three but her race as the face would also stir controversy. Farley would later take this potential to LSU. Holly appointment would drew opposition to many whom arguements hold truth to this day.
It's hard to replace any legendary figure of Summitt caliber and to expect it to remain the powerful entity she builted it to be.
In my opinion, I would have allowed this well core structure ( asst coaching, staff,etc( with the exception of the strength and coaching coach) to remain, and would have brought in the best coach regardless of race, creed or color. I'm afraid it's a little too late to obtain any elite coach that would desire to bring this mess back to its glory days of prominent. But then again , Hope was the last item in Pandora's box. Holly is a good coach, a good assistant coach and only in terms of being the friendly players bridge to the head coach. However, as head coach she has failed to recognize what Summitt acknowledge and that is regardless of talented recruits , you must have a true point guard that can be the head coach mind and heart on the court and lead as if the head coach herself was on court. Case in point.
Remember all the raw talent in the Parker days, when Sade- Wiley defected to Maryland. Pat had all that talent and suffered one year. But then she made a brilliant move. She knew. So she went Juco and obtained their leading scorer, Alberta Augusta and a undisciplined point guard named Shannon Bobbitt. Now it gets better and shows you what a genius Pat was as head coach. She didn't need another scoring tool , so she developed Alberta into her defensive stopper, one who would shut down the opposition leading scorer and would be her defensive mind on court. With Shannon she harness her skills, street ball savvy and poured her mind into this point guard in practice and live game action. Pat was relentless, she would steer Bobbitt, stare down Bobbitt, pull her out of the game many occasions, you know the history.
Bird and Lil Bit was in the Regime for two years and two championship. Brilliant . Brilliant coach.
Holly talented group need the same, Westbrook is no point guard and your true point is a freshmen. You can not create a point guard on this level. And I take issue when you take players out of positions they have been taught in high school and try to convert them. Take your best mind and use your true point guard. Unless,
Holly has no game mind to put in her guard.Point guards are a reflection of the Coach. And this coach doesn't have the head coach mentality.
Pat's choice to succeed her wasn't such a brilliant move.

Personally I don't care if the next coach is male, female, or any stop in between. Nor do I care if they are white, black, or pink and purple polka dot as long as they can exert control over the team, adjust during games, develop talent, and make Lady Vol Basketball fun again.
Agreed. My point is that the team needs a disciplinarian!!!

You can TRY to get any of the currently elite coaches, Geno at UCONN, Scheafer at State, for instance, but UT is not going to get them.

Saban was not even Alabama's first choice as head coach. They were turned down by several other coaches (including Steve Spurrier who was then South Carolina's coach) before they turned to Saban, and Saban turned down Bama until Alabama offered him a salary that made him the highest paid coach in college football.

No way, now I know you are full of crap as usual! They never got turned down by Spurrier as they never went after him! They did however choose and offered Rich Rodriguez however his wife hated the craphole that is Tuscalooserville and wouldn't allow him to sign! After that as usual money talks and BS walks and that's what got Nickypoo to Bama. Same could happen to UT but we will never know because we either have an administration that settles for mediocrity or one she like you that settle for less than the best instead of going for it! Probably the way you live your life. Fire her at end of season, hire Wes Moore and next year they are final four bound if not better!

Last edited:
What do you mean it may be Women's basketball?

I think he means that for most athletic programs women's basketball is not important enough to worry about making coaching changes for average results. And while it may not drive a lot of revenue at Tennessee, the legacy of this particular program deserves a different approach and attitude.

No way I know you are full of crap as usual! They never got turned down by Spurrier as they never went after him! They did however choose and offered Rich Rodriguez however his wife hated the craphole that is Tuscalooserville and wouldn't allow him to sign! Afternoon that as usual money talks and BS walks and that's what got Nickypoo to Bama. Same could happen to UT but we will never know because we either have an administration that settles for mediocrity or one she like you that settle for less than the best instead of going for it! Probably the way you live your life. Fire her at end of season, hire Wes Moore and next year they are final four bound if not better!

This....

Reactions: MocVol
I think he means that for most athletic programs women's basketball is not important enough to worry about making coaching changes for average results. And while it may not drive a lot of revenue at Tennessee, the legacy of this particular program deserves a different approach and attitude.
I can't stand the attitude that people have that since it's a women's game it's not as important, the championships don't matter as much, it doesn't create as much revenue, etc. At one time we had a Coach and a program that helped pave the way for women's basketball and women's athletics. Now we got people saying " it may be women's basketball". 8 Natty's and it's just women's basketball, people should be ashamed. We were the best and the program should preserved, respected, and protected, Period. Find a Coach who will work his/her a** off to be the best. Holly has rode Pat's coat tails long enough. It's embarrassing.

Reactions: MocVol and mcannon1
No way, now I know you are full of crap as usual! They never got turned down by Spurrier as they never went after him! They did however choose and offered Rich Rodriguez however his wife hated the craphole that is Tuscalooserville and wouldn't allow him to sign! After that as usual money talks and BS walks and that's what got Nickypoo to Bama. Same could happen to UT but we will never know because we either have an administration that settles for mediocrity or one she like you that settle for less than the best instead of going for it! Probably the way you live your life. Fire her at end of season, hire Wes Moore and next year they are final four bound if not better!

Well, I can see you are very well informed, like many on this board,

Because Moore and the Head Ball Coach were acquaintances from the olden days, Spurrier was the more easily accessible of the top two candidates. More than once, Moore talked to Spurrier over the phone, but Spurrier quickly reemphasized his commitment to building South Carolina into a viable SEC program. Conversely, Moore did not know Saban personally, but he had developed a remote admiration as Saban’s coaching stock continued to ascend. “He was a Saban admirer,” Townsend told SDS, speaking of Moore. “He liked the way he handled things.”

Moore decided that all dialogues involving the next coach would be kept close to the vest. The internal discussions in the athletic department were often so surreptitious that Moore would warn members of his staff — for their own sake — not to utter a word. Ronny Robertson, Major Gifts Director of University Athletics and a close advisor to Moore, recalled such a story in a conversation with SDS: “One day I said, ‘Mal, I heard Spurrier turned us down.’ He looked at me and said, ‘Don’t be telling everybody that. I’m just reminding you for your own good that somebody’s going to ask how it got out and I don’t want it to come back to you.'”

With Spurrier crossed off the list (at least for now), Moore’s gape centered on Saban. But what gave him an inkling that Saban might leave the Dolphins in the first place? The answer? Fate.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...inside-story-of-how-alabama-hired-nick-saban/

Steve Spurrier tells Paul Finebaum he turned down an Alabama job offer in 2006.

Steve Spurrier Turned Down Alabama Job Offer, Recommended Tide Pursue Nick Saban - Stadium

Now, back to Lady Vols basketball

Reactions: Rickster
Why do the Lady Vols Not Have one of the Best? Is it not Ridiculous for them to be in this situation? The Top Five Program All Time Deserves the Best Available.

AD Philip Fulmer does not have the guts to fire Holly now...she is one of the "good ole boys". Nothing will be done until there is enough pressure with the UT President Randy Boyd to do something. If enough fans complain, something must be done. Keep in mind it was Fulmer who extended her contract. Folks after the loss to Georgia today, the attendance at the next LV home game will be less than 6,000 although they probably have that many season tickets sold.. If you want to get something done now telephone the UT President and AD Fulmer. Complaining here on this site will accomplish nothing.

Top 5...……….bottom 5...………..cud care less.
You want YOUR LV's play like the good ol daze...……………...Hire Kara Lawson.
When you lose you will NOT be discussing effort!!!!!

Reactions: Alto1 and csmize
LOL @ "ludicrous". Can we please ditch the inferiority complex? UT women's basketball is a gold mine. Any coach in the country not named Geno would come here. McGraw and Mulkey are long shots but would come here with the right amount of money. Staley and Walz are perfectly candidates.

Even if we stayed in the family, Harper and Caldwell (despite her lack of success a LSU) would do a way better job than Holly.

Reactions: dtnvol

Because Moore and the Head Ball Coach were acquaintances from the olden days, Spurrier was the more easily accessible of the top two candidates. More than once, Moore talked to Spurrier over the phone, but Spurrier quickly reemphasized his commitment to building South Carolina into a viable SEC program. Conversely, Moore did not know Saban personally, but he had developed a remote admiration as Saban’s coaching stock continued to ascend. “He was a Saban admirer,” Townsend told SDS, speaking of Moore. “He liked the way he handled things.”

Moore decided that all dialogues involving the next coach would be kept close to the vest. The internal discussions in the athletic department were often so surreptitious that Moore would warn members of his staff — for their own sake — not to utter a word. Ronny Robertson, Major Gifts Director of University Athletics and a close advisor to Moore, recalled such a story in a conversation with SDS: “One day I said, ‘Mal, I heard Spurrier turned us down.’ He looked at me and said, ‘Don’t be telling everybody that. I’m just reminding you for your own good that somebody’s going to ask how it got out and I don’t want it to come back to you.'”

With Spurrier crossed off the list (at least for now), Moore’s gape centered on Saban. But what gave him an inkling that Saban might leave the Dolphins in the first place? The answer? Fate.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/a...inside-story-of-how-alabama-hired-nick-saban/

Steve Spurrier Turned Down Alabama Job Offer, Recommended Tide Pursue Nick Saban - Stadium

Glad you are able to read, but maybe you need actual people that can tell you the truth! They wouldn’t have hired Spurrier even if he walked over broken glass to get to Tuscaloosa! They wanted a younger coach that would be there a while and Spurrier isn’t and wasn’t it! And at the time in which he said he was offered they already had talked to and had Rich offered and accepted. So me thinks the ole ball stack is a lying and was never offered and only talked to about who he thought were some up and coming coaches that had coached under him which Bama actually did look at before Bama offered Rich were turned down and moved on to making Saban NOT so no! Money talks BS walks and the AD made more last year compared to any other AD in the country so we can pay a women’s coach whatever the heck we want to pay and that really isn’t anyone that can match it. But you spouting off that you know such and such won’t take the job is ignorant at best because Saban said no about 30 times before leaving the Dolphins and taking Bama job, coaches are a very much ego driven job and even Geno can see that coming here would be a new challenge and could imagine what he could do here. Will he come here, most likely no but there is no way you can say at 100% he wouldn’t if offered and given the money!

LOL @ "ludicrous". Can we please ditch the inferiority complex? UT women's basketball is a gold mine. Any coach in the country not named Geno would come here. McGraw and Mulkey are long shots but would come here with the right amount of money. Staley and Walz are perfectly candidates.

Even if we stayed in the family, Harper and Caldwell (despite her lack of success a LSU) would do a way better job than Holly.
You could add: Matt Mitchell [Kentucky], Brenda Frese [Maryland] and maybe lure Chris Dailey [Uconn asst]

Glad you are able to read, but maybe you need actual people that can tell you the truth! They wouldn’t have hired Spurrier even if he walked over broken glass to get to Tuscaloosa! They wanted a younger coach that would be there a while and Spurrier isn’t and wasn’t it! And at the time in which he said he was offered they already had talked to and had Rich offered and accepted. So me thinks the ole ball stack is a lying and was never offered and only talked to about who he thought were some up and coming coaches that had coached under him which Bama actually did look at before Bama offered Rich were turned down and moved on to making Saban NOT so no! Money talks BS walks and the AD made more last year compared to any other AD in the country so we can pay a women’s coach whatever the heck we want to pay and that really isn’t anyone that can match it. But you spouting off that you know such and such won’t take the job is ignorant at best because Saban said no about 30 times before leaving the Dolphins and taking Bama job, coaches are a very much ego driven job and even Geno can see that coming here would be a new challenge and could imagine what he could do here. Will he come here, most likely no but there is no way you can say at 100% he wouldn’t if offered and given the money!
I don't think he would ever come, but he would have an even more easier time recruiting here...he get the best without lifting a finger...He'd be coaching in the SEC instead of the lack luster AAC and if you really look at him lately, I think he's getting tired of poor conference competition [he needs a new challenge]...and a season long challenge, because his team has been coming up short in the pass couple of years [despite all the wins]...hmmmm

I highly doubt Mulkey and McGraw would come to Tenn. if offered enough money! They have built amazing programs at their respective schools, they have legacies much like Tara Vanderveer. UT women's basketball used to be a gold mine, not anymore. There will never be another who takes the women's program to the heights that the Legend Pat Summitt did, but there can be someone who gets us to the FF or close; it won't be Holly though, we can all see that. I think Walz would be a great hire for Tenn. I like his coaching style, his drive, motivational style, all that would go well in the Lady Vol program.

You could add: Matt Mitchell [Kentucky], Brenda Frese [Maryland] and maybe lure Chris Dailey [Uconn asst]

Mitchell sucks. Honestly I'm not of the mind that he's any better than Holly.

Freese isn't a great coach either but she would certainly do much better than Holly and with UT's tradition and recruiting prowess we would likely be back in the FF.

I don't think Dailey would go anywhere, I highly doubt she even wants to be a head coach. Frese is just not that great.

VN Store

Back