Tennessee weaknesses

peachtreecornersVOL81

I've been a Vol fan for almost 30 years now so I remember the glory days well when we still couldn't manage to beat Florida on a regular basis. That being said, I do think this year is our best shot in a while. Tennessee, however, has some apparent weaknesses that I'm really hoping don't show up tomorrow: 1. Special teams: This is been pretty bad so far in the first 3 games, especially against Pitt. The good news is I think it's something that can be fixed with better coaching 2. Running game: This is supposedly where Florida struggles to defend but in the games I've watched so far, Tennessee doesn't have a very good run game. Basically Pitt is the game that really matters and we were godawful even after including Hooker in rushing attempts. We also have two banged up running backs going into tomorrow which is not good. Take the running game out and we're one-dimensional which by the way I feel like we were last year as well. Not sure why the coaching staff always says "it starts with the run game" when we simply don't seem to be able to run against anyone that matters 3. Secondary: Our secondary is the worst I've seen in a while. This is where I'm REALLY concerned about tomorrow. I don't care that Richardson isn't that great at passing because our corners and safeties are equally putrid.

I hope they prove me wrong tomorrow!

Corner Back - has been a weakness for years (most often exposed by UF).
Linebacker - the safety position has to play tentative because LBs miss tackles/crossing TEs. If the LBs "stick" some people, then our DBs can play true to their calling and avoid the meltdown so many of us are used too.

outside of just executing and playing a clean game, which will give us a WIN, I think it's important to not have those initial 3 and out's we had vs Pitt. Would like to see a score on at least one of the first two drives, but even if not, we need some first downs and move the sticks. 3 and out's and certainly back to back kills this team's path to momentum.

I've been a Vol fan for almost 30 years now so I remember the glory days well when we still couldn't manage to beat Florida on a regular basis. That being said, I do think this year is our best shot in a while. Tennessee, however, has some apparent weaknesses that I'm really hoping don't show up tomorrow: 1. Special teams: This is been pretty bad so far in the first 3 games, especially against Pitt. The good news is I think it's something that can be fixed with better coaching 2. Running game: This is supposedly where Florida struggles to defend but in the games I've watched so far, Tennessee doesn't have a very good run game. Basically Pitt is the game that really matters and we were godawful even after including Hooker in rushing attempts. We also have two banged up running backs going into tomorrow which is not good. Take the running game out and we're one-dimensional which by the way I feel like we were last year as well. Not sure why the coaching staff always says "it starts with the run game" when we simply don't seem to be able to run against anyone that matters 3. Secondary: Our secondary is the worst I've seen in a while. This is where I'm REALLY concerned about tomorrow. I don't care that Richardson isn't that great at passing because our corners and safeties are equally putrid.

Our secondary and defense as a whole is better than last season

Reactions: chuck0303
I will say that the defensive line is much better than last year, but the secondary was bad in that Pitt game I thought and just as bad as I remember from last year. But maybe Pitt is better than I'm giving them credit for.

I will say that the defensive line is much better than last year, but the secondary was bad in that Pitt game I thought and just as bad as I remember from last year. But maybe Pitt is better than I'm giving them credit for.
Someone mentioned in another forum, stop the slants; they have killed us for years. Seems we could never defend against them. I think our D is much better this year but not earth-shattering. Hope they play better this time.

I've been a Vol fan for almost 30 years now so I remember the glory days well when we still couldn't manage to beat Florida on a regular basis.
You don't remember the glory days all that well. You're a bit too young to remember what I remember.

From when I first started really paying attention to Tennessee football, when I was 10 or so playing Pop Warner (that was the hook, see?), through my years at West Point, and all the way through my first decade in the Army, my Lieutenant and Captain years, the Vols beat the Gators just as often as they beat us. '70 to '92. I just looked it up, they won 5, we won 4, and most games were close, within 2 scores. The few games that were blow-outs, we were usually on the winning side (beat them 38 to 7 in '70, then 45 to 3 in '90, and 31 to 14 in '92).

Guess what happened right around then that changed things? Yep. Tennessee native Steve Spurrier went down to Florida to teach those swamp rats how to play football.

And from that point on, it's mostly been ugly.

But you should remember this: '98 to '04 was a window of brightness. We beat the lizards more than they beat us then, too. You're old enough to have lived through that. Folks say Fulmer couldn't beat Spurrier, and it is true that Steve had the upper hand if you count up all the years they faced off. But from our National Title season through to '04, Phil gave just as good as he got (Spurrier was gone for the last few years of that...but Fulmer beat him in his last year on the way out the door).

So don't let the haters and trolls and gator fans talk you into believing it has all been bad. All they want to focus on is "16 of 17." And they're right about one thing: it's time for us to start bringing the series back into balance by running off a string of victories over the next decade or two.

But don't let their negativity fool you. There have been some good periods. Yes, in our lifetimes, if you're old enough.

Go Vols!

p.s. Never call our players "putrid." Those young men are sacrificing a lot to be the best players they can while wearing orange and white. Be respectful.

Last edited:

I think this staff will have a few RPO things that we haven't seen yet possibly. Also if their passing is half as bad as its been in the last 2 games, this offense has a chance to put up some big numbers. You simply can't give a top 5 offense like ours is the ball when they shouldn't have it. If we get some turnovers and contain UF's QB in the pocket and don't let him run all over us. I think we can win by 10+ points. JMO.

Fulmer was 5-12 overall vs Florida and yes he was 3-1 during the 2000s but you have to admit that's a poor overall record and that's not something I got from Florida fans or our own negative fans over the years unfortunately. I just watched the games and that was the outcome. I'm glad Tennessee beat Florida more often than not decades ago and let's hope they can start a streak like that again. Regarding the "putrid" defense, they're big boys who have played football their whole lives and are on full scholarship and I clearly didn't mean it personally. I'm sure their coaches have told them far worse and I'll be pulling for them this year. Go Vols!

Fulmer was 5-12 overall vs Florida and yes he was 3-1 during the 2000s but you have to admit that's a poor overall record and that's not something I got from Florida fans or our own negative fans over the years unfortunately. I just watched the games and that was the outcome. I'm glad Tennessee beat Florida more often than not decades ago and let's hope they can start a streak like that again. Regarding the "putrid" defense, they're big boys who have played football their whole lives and are on full scholarship and I clearly didn't mean it personally. I'm sure their coaches have told them far worse and I'll be pulling for them this year. Go Vols!
Fulmer would always choke when things got close. It got to the point at certain times on certain critical plays every fan and opposing coach knew what play was coming. He was a great assembler of coordinators and a great assembler of talent.

Historically we are very weak on passes in the flat and slants in the middle.

I expect to see about 10 slants completed over the middle with no lb's in sight and no adjustments made in our defense. I hope to be proven wrong.

Historically we are very weak on passes in the flat and slants in the middle.

I expect to see about 10 slants completed over the middle with no lb's in sight and no adjustments made in our defense. I hope to be proven wrong.
We’re going to see some slants and screens pretty often tomorrow imo.

You don't remember the glory days all that well. You're a bit too young to remember what I remember.

From when I first started really paying attention to Tennessee football, when I was 10 or so playing Pop Warner (that was the hook, see?), through my years at West Point, and all the way through my first decade in the Army, my Lieutenant and Captain years, the Vols beat the Gators just as often as they beat us. '70 to '92. I just looked it up, they won 5, we won 4, and most games were close, within 2 scores. The few games that were blow-outs, we were usually on the winning side (beat them 38 to 7 in '70, then 45 to 3 in '90, and 31 to 14 in '92).

Guess what happened right around then that changed things? Yep. Tennessee native Steve Spurrier went down to Florida to teach those swamp rats how to play football.

And from that point on, it's mostly been ugly.

But you should remember this: '98 to '04 was a window of brightness. We beat the lizards more than they beat us then, too. You're old enough to have lived through that. Folks say Fulmer couldn't beat Spurrier, and it is true that Steve had the upper hand if you count up all the years they faced off. But from our National Title season through to '04, Phil gave just as good as he got (Spurrier was gone for the last few years of that...but Fulmer beat him in his last year on the way out the door).

So don't let the haters and trolls and gator fans talk you into believing it has all been bad. All they want to focus on is "16 of 17." And they're right about one thing: it's time for us to start bringing the series back into balance by running off a string of victories over the next decade or two.

But don't let their negativity fool you. There have been some good periods. Yes, in our lifetimes, if you're old enough.

Go Vols!

p.s. Never call our players "putrid." Those young men are sacrificing a lot to be the best players they can while wearing orange and white. Be respectful.
Overall great post. When it comes to the 'putrid' part though, when they start making the big NIL money, they damned well better produce, or that moniker might just be applied.

I watched a JC game last night with my son. Mississippi Gulf Coast CC was up on East Mississippi CC 27 - 7. However, EMCC did not give up and quit. In the end they wound up winning 48 - 45. I hope this will be a lesson to other teams, if you are ahead, keep on playing full out! If you are behind, keep playing all out! If you get sloppy, get back to the basics. If the game plan isn't working, change the plan to what will work in this particular game! During half-time... MAKE ADJUSTMENTS for the adjustments the other team may possibly make due to what you were doing during the first half. Play and coach all out the entire game!

Trash border states?

I just consider Mississippi and Georgia the butt cheeks with Tennessee laying a turd on Florida’s head. 😂
HA! What’s that make our neighbors to the north ??? I’m gonna say it’s the “junk”??

VN Store

Back