Tennessee vs UCONN Film Study: JOE MILTON sizzles! + Should JOSH HEUPEL have benched NICO IAMALEAVA?

Look at the absurd no-call on 64 "blocking" Slaughter at about 1:51. 64 holds him for 10 yards, and then when Slaughter finally gets free enough of the holding to at least turn to toward the runner, 64 blocks him in the back for another 5 yards or so. Standard Birmingham office no-call. I can't listen to that video blogger talk, but it's worth turning the sound on there so you can hear him say what "great blocking" that is. 🤣

Everyone up in arms over Nico getting limited time. Nico is living his best life not having to get beat on weekly. He knows 100% he's the man next year.
The issue is next year we’ll do what we’ve done for 3 of Heupel’s 4 seasons here, go into the UF game with a QB that doesn’t have much experience running this offense. Nico will make mistakes you expect from someone who has little experience and we’ll lose. But at least Navy got to throw a TD with his daddy there, much more important than actually beating our rivals while they are down.

Reactions: wrharvey21
The issue is next year we’ll do what we’ve done for 3 of Heupel’s 4 seasons here, go into the UF game with a QB that doesn’t have much experience running this offense. Nico will make mistakes you expect from someone who has little experience and we’ll lose. But at least Navy got to throw a TD with his daddy there, much more important than actually beating our rivals while they are down.
The game was 56-3 when he came out. Do you think they were going to have him run our normal offense up 56-3 with 8-10 minutes left in the 4th? Do you really think he would have gained that much more experience in those additional 8 -10 minutes of the 4th during garbage time? I guarantee that those 8-10 additional minutes wouldn't have helped get him anymore game ready for next year.

Nico will be just fine at home against Florida next year.

UT needed to play some guys who aren't in the OL rotation. It would have been plain stupid to leave Nico out there behind an OL that could have ended his career.

The issue is next year we’ll do what we’ve done for 3 of Heupel’s 4 seasons here, go into the UF game with a QB that doesn’t have much experience running this offense.
In all likelihood, UF will be starting a true Fr in his first road game. That seems to be a UT advantage, right?
Nico will make mistakes you expect from someone who has little experience and we’ll lose. But at least Navy got to throw a TD with his daddy there, much more important than actually beating our rivals while they are down.
Well that got real dumb, real fast.

Nico will make mistakes. He is getting a lot of experience every week... a lot more than Lagway. Who is favored when two teams with inexperienced QBs face? Usually the home team and team with the best run game has the advantage.... but you are sure UT will lose?

Navy didn't throw a TD pass. He got to play... behind an OL made up of scout team guys. Did you REALLY want Nico out there behind a scout team OL taking a chance that he has no "next year"?

And before you ask, yes. They needed to get their young and developing OLs on the field every bit as much as they needed to get Nico and Moore out there.

nonsense..it's a home game next year.

The narrator states Heupel will have to burn Nico's redshirt if Milton gets hurt. That's not entirely true. Gaston Moore is a pretty good option if you want to preserve Nico's redshirt. Which I don't know if he does or not.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Benching Nico was the right decision. He IS the future tense of our program. Let's not take unnecessary risks here. We lost Hendon Hooker on a chance hit that looked like nothing special. Stuff happens and we have to make sure none of it happens to Nico this year.

Navy Shuler did not throw a TD pass in front of his daddy. Get the facts straight before talking out your bleep hole. CJH ended the game in the red zone out of sportsmanship as the clock was running out. It could have been your son and he would have been out there. Had nothing to do with Heath being at the game.

IMG_2971.png

Last edited:
Reactions: pimo1

That Keyton TD was fun watching in slow motion
Tyler Baron taking out the ref😮

Agree with everything he said.. I wish he'd left Joe in for the 3rd quarter and let Gaston and Navy finish it out. Barring Injury Joe is not losing his job at this point in the season. Just for the sake of being safe don't Play Nico again until Vandy woulda been my plan. Maybe he is As good as we think and we only get 2 years of him as a starter. But with the redshirt you have insurance. In case he's just a really good QB and ends up being the best we have for the next 4 years...

Baron is now officially my dude forever. That play was like revenge against all the lame calls refs have made, or not made all season. My brain says he was really locked in on the play and didn't see the ref.. my heart says cold dish served.

Agree with everything he said.. I wish he'd left Joe in for the 3rd quarter and let Gaston and Navy finish it out. Barring Injury Joe is not losing his job at this point in the season. Just for the sake of being safe don't Play Nico again until Vandy woulda been my plan. Maybe he is As good as we think and we only get 2 years of him as a starter. But with the redshirt you have insurance. In case he's just a really good QB and ends up being the best we have for the next 4 years...

Baron is now officially my dude forever. That play was like revenge against all the lame calls refs have made, or not made all season. My brain says he was really locked in on the play and didn't see the ref.. my heart says cold dish served.
Baron got revenge

It was homecoming, and given our lead, Heupel wanted to reward the players and their families for being a part of our program. It was really a classy move on Heupel’s part. Did you see the smile on Heath Shuler’s face when Navy got to run a few plays?
Yea Nico beating up on UConn does absolutely nothing for him. If you're trying to get him meaningful snaps u do it in SEC play. That TD drive should have given him plenty of confidence. Got him in and out with no injuries. He will get more than enough reps this offseason to be ready to play. Those other guys earned the right to play in that type of game. I thought getting them a few snaps was the right thing to do. To the average fan it might not mean anything, but to those guys it means everything to get a chance to take snaps @ Neyland, in front of family and 100,000 closest friends. These armchair coaches would have like 40 total players on their team because they don't give AF about the bottom of the roster guys lol.

Who were you responding to. The video reviewer stated several time that he was concerned about burning Nico’s redshirt if he played too much. Anyone who expects Nico to be here beyond his original 4 years isn’t aware of what a talent he is likely to be.

Last edited:
I don't believe some fans understand how much work the non starters put in every practice and on special teams. They deserve all the playing time the coaches can give them when the game is clearly won.
I agree and I hate it when some guy makes a tackle that has been practicing for years and most don't know who he is. Instead of announcers looking his name/number up they're talking about what they're going to eat or do after the game. Give him a little recognition. See this all the time on many games, very disrespectful IMO.

VN Store

Back