Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Louisiana Tech

OneManGang

Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Louisiana Tech

During the planning stages for the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japanese Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku commander of the Imperial Navy, was asked how he thought the ensuing war would play out. He is reputed to have said, “For six months I will run wild. After that I can make no promises.” On June 7, 1942, exactly six months to the day after the Pearl Harbor attack, the curtain rang down on the Battle of Midway. Four of Yamamoto’s carriers lay on the bottom of the Pacific and the U.S. Navy had won the decisive battle of the Pacific War. Yamamoto had stopped running wild. World War Two would go on for thirty-eight more months, but in the end the American victory would be complete, total and overwhelming.

Louisiana Tech ran wild for the first quarter Saturday night, but in the end the Volunteers simply overwhelmed them and walked away with the win. During that first quarter, Tech exploited weaknesses in the Tennessee defense. For much of that opening canto those weaknesses seemed only limited to that area spanning from goal line to goal line and from sideline to sideline.

Tech ran wild, throwing the ball to wide-open receivers and when they tired of that, handing the ball to Ryan Moats. Moats is arguably one of the most talented runners the Vols will face this year, rushing for 74 of his eventual 97 net yards in the first quarter. To add insult to injury, Tech quarterbacks threw for 133 of their eventual 264 passing yards leaving a stunned throng at Neyland Stadium pondering scoreboards that read Louisiana Tech 14, UT 7.

Tennessee exploded for 21 points in the second quarter. Tech had stopped running wild.

So how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
John Chavis stubbornly remained in a base defensive scheme for the first quarter then FINALLY began to adjust. Tech, though, was limited by team depth and once their starters began to flag they were done.

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!
A key break came with UT up by 21-14 during the second quarter. Tech threw an interception that Eric Ainge and the Vol offense turned into a touchdown. That score seemed to settle Tech’s hash.

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up … PUT ON MORE STEAM!
Well, yeah. As with Tennessee’s two previous games, this team never let themselves get down and refused to “mail it in.”

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.
Eric Ainge has apparently been studying game film. He repeatedly stepped away from the edge rush and threw a couple of passes while Techsters clung to him. I’m sure David Pollack has been looking at those same films. Fix it, Fix it NOW!

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.
PURSUE AND GANG TACKLE means WRAP THE SUCKER UP AND PUT HIM ON THE GROUND. Great day, who is running tackling drills? I’m growing tired of seeing opposing ball carriers shake off Vol defenders like a bunch of overgrown fleas and run for daylight. Fix it, Fix it NOW!

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.
Wilhoit’s kickoffs were just OUTSTANDING. Tennessee even managed to work in a trick play in the kicking game. Wilhoit lined up for a 51-yard field goal, took a direct snap and punted. Unfortunately, Vol coverage wasn’t up to the challenge and ball bounced into the end zone. Nice idea, though.

7. Carry the fight to Louisiana Tech and keep it there for sixty minutes.
The team may have not have really arrived until the second quarter, but there’s a guy that sits five rows behind me in JJ who was on message the entire game with cheers, exhortations and spirit. If the team had 50% of his dedication, UT would have won 70-0. I think I’m going to work up a “Seventh Maxim” Award and give it to him!

The Auburn Tigers, War Eagles, Plainsmen or whatever they want be called this week, are about to heave onto the Tennessee River shore. They feature not one but THREE talented running backs. Tackling drills, anyone?

MAXOMG

© 2004 One Man Gang

OMG you da man! and amen, tackling will get us killed next week if things don't change :bash:

I agree, the arm tackling is rampant latelyand the outcome looks gloomy...I hope im wrong but with the stable of backs Auburn has(youd think) Chavis has been running some tackling fundamentals this week! :cross:

<span style=\'color:eek:range\'>Right you are, Dan-O, but don&#39;t forget that we&#39;ve got a couple of horses in this race, too. I&#39;m betting that the Auburn D-line is pumping iron and whoofing down Wheaties after seeing our O-line blow people up like we have.

Listen, come Saturday, there won&#39;t be a soul in Knoxville that doesn&#39;t know how big this game is. The team knows it, the fans know it, heck, even Lee Corso knows it. Watch for what has been a very mediocre defense thus far step up to the challenge, just as it did at the end of the Florida game.

Anyone for Tiger? :clap: </span>

Originally posted by kiddiedoc@Sep 30, 2004 3:00 PM
<span style=\'color:eek:range\'>Right you are, Dan-O, but don&#39;t forget that we&#39;ve got a couple of horses in this race, too. I&#39;m betting that the Auburn D-line is pumping iron and whoofing down Wheaties after seeing our O-line blow people up like we have.

Listen, come Saturday, there won&#39;t be a soul in Knoxville that doesn&#39;t know how big this game is. The team knows it, the fans know it, heck, even Lee Corso knows it. Watch for what has been a very mediocre defense thus far step up to the challenge, just as it did at the end of the Florida game.

Anyone for Tiger? :clap: </span>

Welcome to the board kiddiedoc and congrats on your first post. :welcome:

im very pleased with the o-line...i think munoz is a leader along with respert....auburn traditionally has a gr8 def line...if houston n riggs get 1st downs we win :worship:

VN Store

Back