Tennessee vs northwestern 1997

During my matriculation in the ‘70s, several of my favorite professors left UT to take positions at Northwestern. May the Vols kick their asses every time they meet on the field or the court. Do you read me, Stewart Mandell?!?!

During my matriculation in the ‘70s, several of my favorite professors left UT to take positions at Northwestern. May the Vols kick their asses every time they meet on the field or the court. Do you read me, Stewart Mandell?!?!

That's how you hold a grudge!

Reactions: SpookyAction
Right around there they beat ND and Michigan in the same season (I think)
All things considered, Northwestern is a good program considering how they handle academics and athletics. They are good for 1 or 2 double digit wins each 7-10 years, but they definitely have a ceiling. It always blows my mind when people talk about Pat Fitzgerald being on the hot seat. You’re NU, it’s not gonna get any better. I will say that their Football facility on Lake Michigan is one of the best facilities in the country. It’s incredible.

Last edited:
All things considered, Northwestern is a good program considering how they handle academics and athletics. They are good for 1 or 2 double digit wins each 7-10 years, but they definitely have a ceiling. It always blows my when people talk about Pat Fitzgerald being on the hot seat. You’re NU, it’s not gonna get any better. I will say that their Football facility on Lake Michigan is one of the best facilities in the country. It’s incredible.
They are the Vanderbilt of the Big Ten, except more consistent (the Big Ten West is also easier than the SEC East). What Pat Fitzgerald has done there is incredible, and when people even speak idly about running him off I can't believe it. Not only has he done a great job there, but he's from the area, is an alum (was a LB and captain on those good mid-90s teams), and has been on the coaching staff in some capacity for almost 20 years (since 2001). He certainly is part of the reason they had that new facility built.

It's amazing what the rising popularity of the sport and the cash infusion into the sport has done to fan expectations, even at low-expectation schools like Northwestern that aren't crazy about football.
I could be wrong but that Northwestern team got up to top 5 that year right?
They got into the top 5, won the Big Ten outright (8-0 in conference play), and played in the Rose Bowl the year before (1995). They were an upset loss away (to Miami OH) from being in the national title conversation. The year we beat them in the Citrus Bowl they were Big Ten co-champ (lost a tiebreaker to Ohio St) and finished 16th. They were 11th going into the bowl game. Those great 1995 and 1996 seasons came out of absolutely nowhere...the most wins they accumulated in any of the preceding 8 seasons was 3. 3! One of those seasons was an 0-11 (1989). Then they went back to the doldrums right after that.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
All things considered, Northwestern is a good program considering how they handle academics and athletics. They are good for 1 or 2 double digit wins each 7-10 years, but they definitely have a ceiling. It always blows my mind when people talk about Pat Fitzgerald being on the hot seat. You’re NU, it’s not gonna get any better. I will say that their Football facility on Lake Michigan is one of the best facilities in the country. It’s incredible.
I live in the Chicago area and follow NU. I think Fitz is a hell of a coach and seems to be a great guy too. I pull for them in every game except their occasional match up with the Vols. I came very close to going to grad school there. My wife went to the business school (class of 82 so a long time ago).

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They were co-champs in the Big Ten in 95 and 96. We have beaten two of Northwestern’s 3 best teams in history
At the Outback bowl a few years some Northwestern fans were talking sh!t before the game ..I remember thinking "bless their hearts its going to be a long quiet trip back home to where Northwestern is".

Reactions: Rickyvol77

VN Store

Back