Tennessee vs North Florida & WKU Games Thread 3 pm CT

I love spring training atmosphere also but it used to be even better before the race for facilities. I lived in Phoenix in the late 80s and early 90s. Back before the nice spring parks and facilities you would take your cooler and sit on the hill. You could get up close without paying $40 a game. We used to spend all weekend going from game to game and watching all our favorite players.
We did Arizona spring training about 6-7 years ago. The best thing out there is that no ballpark is further than an hour from any other ballpark (unlike Florida where you're down to Jupiter and up to Tampa). Because of the close proximity In Arizona, we hit 11 games in 7 days. It was great. Those ballparks are all pretty new, and pretty awesome. We only missed the Angels ballpark (and we haven't been to the Cubs new-ish park).

You are correct, prices have increased over the years, but you're pretty close to the action for far less money than regular season. And if you're going towards the end of spring training, the rosters are pretty close to regular season opening day rosters. Buy tickets the first day they go on sale. For $35 a seat our cup holder was the back of the Reds dugout- who knows what that would've cost at GABP. We also saw the Reds play the Rangers for $5.

Also, it's kid friendly. My oldest got tons and tons of autographs. On one ball he got the Reds opening day roster, Dusty Baker included. He also got to play catch with Mike Maddux before a game. Lots and lots of autographs given to kids, and lots of photo opportunities for kids.

Reactions: txbo and StarRaider

Looks great!
If the Cards or Marlins are hosting an AL team from the Tampa area, don't expect millionaires to ride buses across the state to Jupiter. The Yankees and Red Sox will send only a couple of big name players, and fans pay big bucks for those games and are often disappointed. There was a big fallout a few year back when the Yankees sent all minor leaguers to play the Marlins one game. Also don't expect many big name players in AL vs NL games, but if it's in the same league (or in the same division), you can count on more.

The thing I like best about Florida spring training is that the fields are (mostly) older than what's in Arizona. They almost all serve as minor league parks as well. The Pirates is probably my favorite, behind the Blue Jays. The Red Sox ballpark is a great one. The Yankees is just bland gray concrete everywhere and there's a constant cold wind blowing through the concourse. One thing that some teams do is have some of their regular season vendors in Florida- the Phillies cheese steak vendor and the Mets Jewish food vendor come to mind.

Reactions: feathersax
From Kendall Rogers' Five on the free portion of D1 Baseball.

"3. Will Tennessee ever lose?

It’s safe to say the Volunteers won’t forget the way this season has begun for a long time. The Vols have only continued their successful ways this weekend, beating North Florida 10-2 in the first of two games today, while also beating Western Kentucky in the nightcap, 6-3.

Against the Ospreys, hard-throwing righthander Zach Linginfelter put together yet another strong start, striking out eight, walking one and allowing two runs and four hits in seven innings, while Luc Lipcius hit a home run, Jay Charleston had three hits and three RBIs and Justin Ammons had two hits and two RBIs.

Against the Hilltoppers, smallish righty Will Neely put together yet another strong starting performance, striking out six, walking one and allowing three runs on five hits in six innings. Offensively, six different Vols sluggers finished the night with a hit.

The Vols are now 12-0 overall, which matches the best start in program history, set back in 2014. And how about this nugget? UT has a pitching staff ERA of 0.85."

Post photos!

And my plans may have just hit a bump. Had it worked out so I would see games in West Palm Friday and Saturday night, Jupiter Saturday day and Port St. Lucie Sunday. Just found out I may have to stay at work until 10pm Friday night for network maintenance.

And my plans may have just hit a bump. Had it worked out so I would see games in West Palm Friday and Saturday night, Jupiter Saturday day and Port St. Lucie Sunday. Just found out I may have to stay at work until 10pm Friday night for network maintenance.
You still have time to catch some games. I’ll be in Lakeland and Kissimmee before the end of spring training.

VN Store

Back