Tennessee vs North Florida & WKU Games Thread 3 pm CT

(Schedule Update posted by @Gilbert in the ULM gameday thread)

UTSports.com:
With inclement weather expected throughout the day on Sunday, the weekend schedule for the Cox Diamond Invitational has been adjusted.

Tennessee will now play a doubleheader on Saturday as Sunday's slate of games has been moved. The Vols first game of the day against North Florida is slated to begin 30 minutes following the conclusion of the Western Kentucky-Louisiana Monroe game preceding it. Approximate first pitch time against the Ospreys is 4 p.m. ET.

The Vols will then turn around and take on Western Kentucky 30 minutes after their game with North Florida concludes. UT's contest against the Hilltoppers will be a seven-inning game and should begin around 7:15 p.m. ET.

Live stats for both games can be found on the Tennessee baseball schedule page by clicking HERE. The official Tennessee baseball Twitter account (@Vol_Baseball) will also provide live in-game updates throughout the day.

The Big Orange opened the Cox Diamond Invitational with a 7-2 victory over ULM on Friday afternoon to improve to 10-0 on the season.

Projected Starting Pitchers
vs. UNF:
RHP Zach Linginfelter (2-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Brandon Reitz (0-0, 5.25 ERA)
vs. WKU: RHP Will Neely (1-0, 1.86 ERA) vs. TBD

Series History vs. North Florida
Overall: First Meeting

Series History vs. Western Kentucky
Overall: UT leads, 5-4
In Knoxville: UT leads, 5-2
In Bowling Green: WKU leads, 2-0
Neutral Sites: N/A
Last Meeting: March 8, 2016 in Knoxville (L, 6-0)

Last edited:
Opponent Scout Report:

North Florida Ospreys (8-3)
  • 2018 Record: 28-28 (10-11 Atlantic Sun)
  • 2018 Postseason: N/A
  • UNF was picked to finish sixth in the Atlantic Sun Preseason Poll after finishing fourth in the league last year before making a run to the A-SUN Tournament Championship game.
  • The Ospreys are led by second-year head coach Tim Parenton and boast a pair of preseason all-conference selections in senior RHP Brad Deppermann and junior OF Tanner Murphy.
  • Murphy was a first-team All-Atlantic Sun selection in 2018 after leading the team in every major offensive category. Entering the weekend, Murphy leads the team with eight runs and 15 hits and ranks second with seven RBI.
  • The Ospreys have been a dangerous offensive team so far this season, boasting a .305 team batting average and six home runs. UNF enters the tournament after a pair of midweek wins over FAU.
  • UNF has already posted a handful of signature wins by taking two of three games from Missouri to open the season before knocking of then No. 3 Florida in Gainesville, 7-1, in a midweek game on Feb. 20.
  • Deppermann has led the Ospreys' pitching staff so far with a 2.38 ERA and 10 strikeouts over two starts this season. Senior RHP Ethan Michaelis leads the team with three wins already on the year.
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (6-3)
  • 2018 Record: 21-31 (11-18 C-USA)
  • 2018 Postseason: N/A
  • WKU was picked to finish 10th in the Conference USA Preseason Poll after an 10th-place finish last season.
  • The Hilltoppers are led by head coach John Pawlowski, who is in his fourth season with the program. Pawlowski previously served as head coach at College of Charleston (2000-08) and Auburn (2009-13), appearing in 11 NCAA Regionals between those stops.
  • WKU is coming off a midweek win over Murray State on Wednesday and has also swept Northern Kentucky and taken two of three from Eastern Illinois so far this season.
  • The Hilltoppers enter the weekend with six players batting .304 or better, led by junior catcher Matt Phipps, who is batting .346 and also leads the team with eight runs and nine RBI. Jackson Swiney and Jack Wilson are tied for the team lead with a .360 batting average.
  • Redshirt senior Reece Calvert has been the Hilltoppers' Sunday starter this season. The right hander is 0-1 with a 2.70 ERA in two starts.

I am heading up to Jupiter today to see my Cardinals play. Despite baseball always being my favorite sport, this will by my first Spring Training game, I am stoked.
You LIVE in Florida yet have never attended a spring training game? Well, enjoy & GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: TnScooby
Yeah, just moved last May so this is my first chance. Awesome atmosphere, in the beer bar outside the stadium.
I’ve been to Roger Dean Stadium many times. Just up the road is the new Astros/Nationals place and then further up the Mets. Personally I like the Jays place over in Dunedin because it’s a little dumpy and worn. Over the years I’ve been to all but the Rays and the new Astros/Nationals. I love spring training. I’ll shut up now since this isn’t a spring training thread 😀

I’ve been to Roger Dean Stadium many times. Just up the road is the new Astros/Nationals place and then further up the Mets. Personally I like the Jays place over in Dunedin because it’s a little dumpy and worn. Over the years I’ve been to all but the Rays and the new Astros/Nationals. I love spring training. I’ll shut up now since this isn’t a spring training thread 😀

I went to the first Astros game in their new park last year. It's a nice place.

Yeah, just moved last May so this is my first chance. Awesome atmosphere, in the beer bar outside the stadium.

I love spring training atmosphere also but it used to be even better before the race for facilities. I lived in Phoenix in the late 80s and early 90s. Back before the nice spring parks and facilities you would take your cooler and sit on the hill. You could get up close without paying $40 a game. We used to spend all weekend going from game to game and watching all our favorite players.

I love spring training atmosphere also but it used to be even better before the race for facilities. I lived in Phoenix in the late 80s and early 90s. Back before the nice spring parks and facilities you would take your cooler and sit on the hill. You could get up close without paying $40 a game. We used to spend all weekend going from game to game and watching all our favorite players.

I wish I had gone back then. Much cheaper than Giants games though. But, I didn’t have to pay for tickets today fortunately.

Should be starting around 3:30.

D0rd94TUYAEBFNq

I am heading up to Jupiter today to see my Cardinals play. Despite baseball always being my favorite sport, this will by my first Spring Training game, I am stoked.

growing up in W Tenn, the Cards was the only game in town...250 miles away...enjoy my friend...

Reactions: NorCalVol67

VN Store

Back