Tennessee vs. Gonzaga

Status
Not open for further replies.

cardvolfan

Statistically speaking, Gonzaga is a very good basketball team. Looking at KenPom and delving into their indivudual and team statistics, they are impressive. They have several very impressive players and their supporting cast is quite good. We obviously are talented and experienced with maybe the nation's best player, although that is still to be determined. Do the Vols have the hardware to win? Are we mentally capable of handling all Gonzaga will throw at us and still come out on top? If we play our best game overall, will we win? At the very least, it will be a fun game. What does everyone think? I would love to hear your insight, and Go Vols!

Yes, Maybe, yes, agree. I have been impressed with how well our guys play together. It shows to me that they know each other well and each others tendencies. I think the talent's there. It comes down to execution and staying in the game mentally if things don't go their way for a stretch.

Reactions: Vols All Day
This may be Mark Few’s best team he's had and he’s had some great ones. Before the season, this was the only definitive loss I had marked down on the schedule. Objectively, we would have to play our best game and hope Gonzaga plays their B game in order for us to win. They are upperclassmen heavy like us and that’s where most of their production comes from. Hopefully our bigs can cancel out Rui. He’s not the only one we have to worry about though. They’ve got 2 other guys besides him averaging at least 17pts/gm. Perkins, their PG is having a great year. He’s averaging over 8ast/gm. It should be a good game but I honestly think they pull away after midway thru the 2nd half. They will be the best team we play all year.

Reactions: volfan4lyfe
Will be tough to beat them IMO, even though their best player is out with an injury as well as their backup pg. if we don't jack up 25 3's we should be able to hang with them and who knows , could pull the upset. Would be nice to get Lamonte back.

This may be Mark Few’s best team he's had and he’s had some great ones. Before the season, this was the only definitive loss I had marked down on the schedule. Objectively, we would have to play our best game and hope Gonzaga plays their B game in order for us to win. They are upperclassmen heavy like us and that’s where most of their production comes from. Hopefully our bigs can cancel out Rui. He’s not the only one we have to worry about though. They’ve got 2 other guys besides him averaging at least 17pts/gm. Perkins, their PG is having a great year. He’s averaging over 8ast/gm. It should be a good game but I honestly think they pull away after midway thru the 2nd half. They will be the best team we play all year.
I agree with that assessment. I also think there can be great value in learning from a loss, should that be the case.

In my opinion we are still a year or two from the upper echelon, assuming we continue to improve recruiting and learn how to adjust like the blue bloods.

We are top 5-10 but not top 5. I think we were fortunate to have a chance to knock off Kansas but I don't think we will be so fortunate against the Zags or the likes of
Duke, et al. Hopefully we can maintain the upward momentum and continuing to improve the program. I think Barnes can get us there soon.

I haven't seen Gonzaga this year, but after watching UT vs Kansas I have a lot of confidence in the Vols. I have no problem expecting UT to win every game this year. None. The Vols are good enough to beat anyone. Will they beat Gonzaga? I don't know, but I bet it's a damn good game.

GO VOLS! Take em down!

I haven't seen Gonzaga this year, but after watching UT vs Kansas I have a lot of confidence in the Vols. I have no problem expecting UT to win every game this year. None. The Vols are good enough to beat anyone. Will they beat Gonzaga? I don't know, but I bet it's a damn good game.

GO VOLS! Take em down!
Gonzaga plays Washington on one of the ESPN's in an hour, if you want to watch.

Lol the commentators were even calling out the horrible officiating.

The huskies are good, not great. This game shouldn’t be close. I expect the zags to play better against us.

I think we can dominate them in the paint; we just can’t lose their shooters. Rebound well and win the FT battle and we should win.

The huskies are good, not great. This game shouldn’t be close. I expect the zags to play better against us.

I think we can dominate them in the paint; we just can’t lose their shooters. Rebound well and win the FT battle and we should win.
Washington has gotten right into the lane anytime they wanted so i expect we can too. Gonzaga doesn't play much defense really, i may be wrong

when Zags have their team healthy they'll be in the Final Four...maybe will anyway...they are that good...;)

GO VOLS!

Reactions: StrangeVol

In my view, the biggest factor for the Vols is taking it to the basket and drawing lots of FT attempts. Gonzaga has been very good in this phase, so we need to win that battle decisively, then we will win.

Gonzaga’s D is not very good. I think Grant has a field day and Admiral gets it going.

My biggest concern is how we matchup on D. Need to force some turnovers and keep them off the line. Those are two things they do well and are not our strong points. But I think we’re able to slow them down enough where it will be close to the end like Washington did last night.

Last edited:
Going to be fun to watch Grant vs Rui. Both will get theirs. But if I had to pick one key to the game it is how well we defend the point. Would be great if Turner is able to play and play well enough to give us some minutes. They need to be disruptors.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Gonzaga struggled to put away a bad Illinois team. Thanks in part to Illinois D on Perkins. Forced him into 7 turnovers. And that was despite sending them to the line a lot and Rui getting 23 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back