Tennessee vs. Auburn

My thinking is that it's hard to beat a team twice in one year and even harder to blow out a good team twice in one year. Auburn has to be a heavy favorite, but I just don't see them walking all over us again. A lot of things went wrong for us at the same time in the first game.

I'm confident UT will beat the line (whatever it ends up being). I'm sure we'll be a double-digit underdog... I might put some money on this one....

hmmm..... :question:

There's a couple of things working against Auburn:

1. They've already beat the crap out of us once so overconfidence could be a factor. I would think the AU coaching staff will try to beat it into the players heads to not be overconfident though.

2. Playing a hungry underdog - Remember just a couple of years ago in 2001 UT could have went to the National Championship game with a win over a decent LSU team in the SECCG, which they had already beat earlier in the year pretty handily, and look what happened. Nobody thought LSU had much of a chance and they danced all over us, kicking us to the Citrus Bowl where we killed a pretty good Michigan team. I think we could have won the NC that year if we didn't come into the SECCG overconfident after beating our archrival Florida the game before. Could history repeat itself? A great Auburn team just beat their archrival Alabama and are looking at a UT team that's "pretty good" but a team they've already beaten once this year. Could deja vu work in UT's favor this year like it worked against them just a few years ago? Just a thought.

DD

Originally posted by Memphis_Volunteer@Nov 21, 2004 2:18 PM
Here's what we have to do to beat AU:

Offense:
1) Protect Rick Clausen, giving him time to make good, smart throws.
2) Mix it up--mix the run and the pass to confuse the AU defense.
3) Score touchdowns--against AU we cannot afford to settle for FGs.

Defense:
1) Get pressure on Jason Campbell.
2) Force turnovers.
3) Stop/slowdown Ron Brown and Cadillac Williams.

Hmmm. So, protect the quarterback, establish the run, and score touchdowns?

Pressure the passer, take the ball away, and shut down the run?

BRILLIANT!

:beerf:

Sounds like a recipe for success against just about anyone, eh? I just hope we decide to come out and play on BOTH sides of the ball in Atlanta. Don't think we'll have trouble getting up for this one, though. At least, I would hope not. . . .

forget relying on Aubie's overconfindence.... forget "a miracle like the 85' Sugar Bowl".... forget luck....

This is about Tennessee football. There is no way in :censored: that the Vols will be beaten "easily!" I predict the game to come down to the wire. The Vols are too good to be beaten badly by a team twice in the same year.

If y'all are going to judge this Tennessee team based upon 1 game against Vanderbilt.... then you might as well just forget all about football history.

Let's go back to the year 1995. The Vols entered the Vanderbilt game with a 9-1 record. The previous week, the Vols held off Kentucky 34-31. They only beat Vandy by a score of 12-7. What?!?! Only 12 points for a team led by Peyton Manning? The Vols went on to beat Heisman Trophy winner Eddie George and Ohio State in the bowl game, 20-14.

Let's go back to the year 1996. The Vols entered the Vandy game with a 8-2 record. Barlely beat the 'Dores by a score of 14-7?!? Then turned aournd and beat Big10 co-champs Northwestern 48-28 in the bowl game.

1997... beat Vanderbilt 17-10.... went on to beat Auburn 30-29 and capture the SEC Championship.

1992.... beat Vanderbilt 29-25.... went on to beat Boston College in the bowl game 38-23.

The 1987 squad that finished 10-2-1 beat Vanderbilt by a score of 38-36.

The 1989 team that won the SEC Championship only beat Vandy 17-10 enroute to a 11-1 season.

and NONE of the Vanderbilt teams above had winning records.

GO VOLS!

We can always count on allvol to put things in perspective.

:bow:

Originally posted by allvolinky@Nov 21, 2004 5:07 PM
I have to agree with LIO and freak....I think our chances are slim to none....

Our chances of being SEC Champs for 2004 are a lot better than the 10 teams who will be sitting at home watching it on TV.

VN Store

Back