Tennessee Vols and the College Football Hall of Fame

OneVolNation

All Vols All The Time
On June 6, Tennessee relayed that the National Football Foundation announced Defensive back Eric Berry and wide receivers Willie Gault and Larry Seivers are on the 2023 ballot for induction to the College Football Hall of Fame along with Coach Josh Heupel
for when he played quarterback and won a National Championship.

An hour ago, Ken Lay published this article on all the Tennessee Vols who are already in the Hall of Fame
and shares some rich history of Tennessee Volunteers College Football.

On June 6, Tennessee relayed that the National Football Foundation announced Defensive back Eric Berry and wide receivers Willie Gault and Larry Seivers are on the 2023 ballot for induction to the College Football Hall of Fame along with Coach Josh Heupel
for when he played quarterback and won a National Championship.

An hour ago, Ken Lay published this article on all the Tennessee Vols who are already in the Hall of Fame
and shares some rich history of Tennessee Volunteers College Football.
That's great.................
Follow the countdown I'm doing .

BTW..................If Larry Seivers doesn't get in, it's a travesty.
Top 15 Vol of ALL TIME

That's great.................
Follow the countdown I'm doing .

BTW..................If Larry Seivers doesn't get in, it's a travesty.
Top 15 Vol of ALL TIME

Yes, your countdown thread is very relevant and I've been following! (Just to prove I have been keeping up with it, I went ahead and did a supplement for Day 78 for you today.)

Last edited:
Lots of greats there - most from pre-1990. One that made me scratch my head was Doug Dickey. His coaching record was 104–58–6 with a bowl record of 2-7. One or two SEC titles….maybe got it because he sold lots of hair tonic?

Reactions: OneVolNation
Lots of greats there - most from pre-1990. One that made me scratch my head was Doug Dickey. His coaching record was 104–58–6 with a bowl record of 2-7. One or two SEC titles….maybe got it because he sold lots of hair tonic?

There's no telling how good, great Dickey's coaching record might have been had he stayed at Tennessee instead of going to Florida. The Gumps and their drunk, cheating coach would not have dominated the 70's, that's for sure.

Inside our stadium on the wall along with our national titles won includes one of his teams as being a NATIONAL CHAMPION!

Inside our stadium on the wall along with our national titles won includes one of his teams as being a NATIONAL CHAMPION!
That 1967 team was a great one for sure but USC was #1 by the AP and Coaches polls so I think our claim to that one is dubious. If Karl Kremser hits that FG (many swear he did) I think we would have been #1.

Reactions: Boca Vol
That 1967 team was a great one for sure but USC was #1 by the AP and Coaches polls so I think our claim to that one is dubious. If Karl Kremser hits that FG (many swear he did) I think we would have been #1.

UT didn't even claim that NC until the 90's. If you look at any of the '68 game programs there is no mention anywhere of winning a natty the previous season.

Reactions: ru4real-really?
1967 was a great team and they had a great year, but they did start the season with a loss (UCLA) and ended it with a loss in the Orange Bowl (OK) In AP final poll they swapped positions with Ok and finished ranked number 3 I think. It was only later that the Linkenhouse (SP) Poll gave them the number one ranking--done pre bowl! Oh well, any poll works I guess. Thats why we have it on the wall! I personally think there are a couple more years of undefeated play which would deserve National Championship recognition that could be up on the wall as well. (Like Bama)

VN Store

Back