Tennessee v Loyola-Chicago Ramblers, 2018 NCAAT Second Round: Game thread

This may sound REALLY simple, but I’m watching the rebounding numbers...if Tennessee can outrebound them by double digits I think we have an extremely high chance of winning. They shoot well as a team and they cause teams to shoot poorly, but if we are attempting 1.5x the FGA they are getting that will negate a lot of the other stuff they do well.

When Boise beat them by 30 earlier this year they outrebounded them 41-23, only 3 ORB for Loyola...now yes Boise shot lights out as well, but even an average shooting night and they would’ve won by double digits.

When Loyola beat Florida they were only outrebounded 36-32 and grabbed 7 offensive rebounds. Florida shot horribly and it was still a very close game, like I said it sounds simplistic but dominate the boards and we should get the win.

A) No slow starts
B) No sloppy passing to the invisible man
C) If we get a double digit lead, keep the foot on the gas.
D) Try to ignore most of the arena and the country rooting against us.

Reactions: 1 person
Cool. Where did you find this? Very similar conclusions that I can conjure up from the numbers. Especially that Schofield is the X factor - which is reassuring given how he’s been playing. I like that he has factored in the shooting at the venue - however I take that w a huge grain of salt. Small sample size and first ground games can be ugly from a shooting perspective and much better in the second.
On twitter, I posted his stuff a couple weeks ago, he does a great job provided those advanced stats and is a Vol fan so his stuff is mostly about or related to Tennessee.

@gyrateplus
@gyratestats

Reactions: 1 person
This time of year you have to come to play every game. Loyola is a good team, but if UT comes out and plays like it has been we will win. It's all about production at this point. GBO!!!!!

A) No slow starts
B) No sloppy passing to the invisible man
C) If we get a double digit lead, keep the foot on the gas.
D) Try to ignore most of the arena and the country rooting against us.

If we can get an early lead before the other teams fans start filing in then hopefully that last point is a moot point

If Alexander is ready and if Loyola doesn't get hot from the 3 we win.

Alexander wasn’t out for early warmups. Maybe he was just getting some extra treatment and will come out for the second set in a few minutes.

VN Store

Back