Tennessee unique chants

We need something between 3rd and 4th quarter really bad. It’s embarrassing just sitting there watching every other school do it.
Different sport but went to Kansas for the basketball game this year and their fog warning video they do at the last 4 minute tv timeout was incredible. Ive never understood why Tennessee doesn’t have something similar in basketball or football.

Different sport but went to Kansas for the basketball game this year and their fog warning video they do at the last 4 minute tv timeout was incredible. Ive never understood why Tennessee doesn’t have something similar in basketball or football.
They pulled in Friends in Low Places at the e d of the 3rd qtr last year. It's so goofy that it was entertaining.

Reactions: StarRaider
"It's great to be a Tennessee Vol" is one of the more underwhelming "chants" out there. Probably has something to do with not sniffing an SEC title in a decade, but, still -- pretty uninspiring. Always feels forced. And everyone does it, so it's not unique at all. Most chants aren't though. I think I broke a family member's heart when I told her the "We don't give a damn for the whole state of Alabama" was not unique to Tennessee either, and done by a lot of schools to insult Michigan (Ohio State in particular adopting it full time). "It's awkward because Alabama has four syllables but ideally it should have three - which is why saying Michigan fits better." Sigh. Hated telling them that but. And I doubt Michigan's the only other victim.

Florida claims that one of their fans came up with the two bits chant. No idea if that's actually true or just their attempt to lay claim to it.

I suppose that "V-O-L-S Go Vols Go" chant thing is ours. Still a bit awkward but better than the others, in my opinion at least. Never heard that one anywhere else.

As long as I never have to hear "Smokey's on the prowl," I can be okay with most of what goes on though. A long while back, I and some friends of mine suddenly kicked up the "Two bits, four bits, Smokey's on the prowl" thing. Totally just to troll everyone around us a little, mainly. Anyway, the folks in front of us turned around, sort of half-glaring, and said "we don't do that cheer in this section."
Two bits has been around for ages My mom used it and she was born in 1900.

Reactions: StarRaider
We don't give a damn about the whole state of Alabama, we're from Tennessee!
I know that has been around at least from th 1940. They used it during the early 1940s when my oldlest brother was playing basketball at Tennessee.

"It's great to be a Tennessee Vol" is one of the more underwhelming "chants" out there. Probably has something to do with not sniffing an SEC title in a decade, but, still -- pretty uninspiring. Always feels forced. And everyone does it, so it's not unique at all. Most chants aren't though. I think I broke a family member's heart when I told her the "We don't give a damn for the whole state of Alabama" was not unique to Tennessee either, and done by a lot of schools to insult Michigan (Ohio State in particular adopting it full time). "It's awkward because Alabama has four syllables but ideally it should have three - which is why saying Michigan fits better." Sigh. Hated telling them that but. And I doubt Michigan's the only other victim.

Florida claims that one of their fans came up with the two bits chant. No idea if that's actually true or just their attempt to lay claim to it.

I suppose that "V-O-L-S Go Vols Go" chant thing is ours. Still a bit awkward but better than the others, in my opinion at least. Never heard that one anywhere else.

As long as I never have to hear "Smokey's on the prowl," I can be okay with most of what goes on though. A long while back, I and some friends of mine suddenly kicked up the "Two bits, four bits, Smokey's on the prowl" thing. Totally just to troll everyone around us a little, mainly. Anyway, the folks in front of us turned around, sort of half-glaring, and said "we don't do that cheer in this section."

You sound like a super fun person to go to a ball game with.

Reactions: Popcorn
You sound like a super fun person to go to a ball game with.

Yeah, okay, I like to stand as much as the people around me will tolerate, I like yelling through as much of the play clock as I can on defense, enough that I usually don't have a voice on the next day, and I really enjoy the marching band playing Rocky Top. That's super fun in my book. To each their own.

Yeah, okay, I like to stand as much as the people around me will tolerate, I like yelling through as much of the play clock as I can on defense, enough that I usually don't have a voice on the next day, and I really enjoy the marching band playing Rocky Top. That's super fun in my book. To each their own.

The only way to watch a game! If you’re not gonna participate, sit your ass at home on the couch!

Reactions: clarencepeabody
I liked T-E-NN-E-SS-EE from back in the day. I also like the suggestion of something "traditional" to chant between third and fourth quarter. Not sure if something as simple as "T-E-NN-E-SS-EE, Tennessee!" would resonate with today's fans but it is obviously unique, like V-O-L-S Go Vols Go. Great when nearly 100,000 people chants it at the same time with energy. It was awesome at the beginning of the Oklahoma game a few years back. I would support whatever the student body decided upon.

It’s not the Vols but I always like the Northwestern chant to the other team when they were losing so badly....”That’s all right- That’s okay - y’all will be working for us one day”!

VN Store

Back