Tennessee Uniforms Through the Years

Powder and shot

The uniforms have continually changed through the years. The reasons for the changed uniforms clearly is the result of changes in technology related to fabrics, pads, helmets and shoes. However, color has changed as well. Orange and are traditional colors. In the early years, (1920's) black was a jersey color. Tradition is important. It is a vehicle of transmission of commonly held of beliefs and ideas from generation to generation. Tradition transmits the truth. Tennessee has held to the use of our historical colors and historical design elements. The checkerboard, power T and stripes are examples. Apparently we have a tradition that cherishes orange and white as our primary school colors but with the belief that using technological developments and drawing on historical past examples in uniforms is appropriate.

Tennessee football helmets through the years
Vols Uniform History: Tennessee Volunteers Helmet History
New Tennessee Volunteers Black Alternate Jersey Leaks Online

If the AA would permit them I like to see some of the old uniforms brought back for very select games.

I remember they brought one out when Ainge was at Tennessee but I don’t remember the game. I remember the AA saying it didn’t meet the guidelines?

Reactions: Hacksaw
If the AA would permit them I like to see some of the old uniforms brought back for very select games.

I remember they brought one out when Ainge was at Tennessee but I don’t remember the game. I remember the AA saying it didn’t meet the guidelines?
Bring back the 1928 Tennessee and Kentucky uniforms and have a throwback game

So how does Oregon seemingly unveil an alternate uniform every other week? Chaps my arse that someone has the authority to tell me what uniform I can and cannot wear.

Bring back the 1928 Tennessee and Kentucky uniforms and have a throwback game
That would be great. Always enjoyed seeing the NFL throwback games with uniforms I saw as a kid. From UT's history, I'm rather fond of '03, '14 and my all time favorite as a kid.... '71.
Tennessee.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the 1971 jersey's and would much rather have those as alternate jerseys rather than the smokey grey.
I think it would pair quite nicely with the orange helmets that have been pictured lately. Wore that one in #7 to many a game as a lad.

I really like the 1971 jersey's and would much rather have those as alternate jerseys rather than the smokey grey.
I wish they'd pick between the Black/Grey and do a throwback if they want a second alt. They could even change the throwback every year.

Before I wanted the Grey over the Black. But the Dark Mode is pretty awesome. I kind of wish we'd just do it for Haloween every year and be done with the Grey. I wouldn't mind seeing the Grey Helmet with the black uniforms though.

Reactions: sami and jackaro
Bits of trivia:

In 1891, Charles Moore became a right guard on the inaugural football team. He opted to wear orange and white in the game against Sewanee.

Orange jerseys were not worn by Tennessee football players until the 1922 season, but they were christened by coach M. B. Banks on Sept. 23, 1922, following a 50-0 victory over Emory & Henry, the same year Tennessee joined the Southern Conference.

So happy 100th to those 🍊 jerseys.

Last edited:

04 UNLV

Reactions: Dudleys87

VN Store

Back