Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

Would be nice to have Pons 2.0 in him
If Jefferson gets into the rotation, it is because he has proved to Barnes that he can be lockdown defender at the 3 and 4 spots. We know he is extremely athletic but that is all we know at this point. Hard to see him crack into the top 8 players and he will be competing with other guys for that 9th and 10th spot who have different skillsets. May depend on what Barnes needs as a priority in the rotation. Does he prefer a perimeter shooter like Gainey, or more size like Estrella, or a wing athlete like Jefferson?

You would think the top 8 are probably set at Aidoo, Awaka, Ledlum, Knecht, Mashack, Vescovi, Zeigler and Dilione. I do like the makeup of this group on paper. The transfers, Ledlum and Knecht in particular, earn/deserve starting positions and give us some scoring punch that we lacked often last year.

If Jefferson gets into the rotation, it is because he has proved to Barnes that he can be lockdown defender at the 3 and 4 spots. We know he is extremely athletic but that is all we know at this point. Hard to see him crack into the top 8 players and he will be competing with other guys for that 9th and 10th spot who have different skillsets. May depend on what Barnes needs as a priority in the rotation. Does he prefer a perimeter shooter like Gainey, or more size like Estrella, or a wing athlete like Jefferson?

You would think the top 8 are probably set at Aidoo, Awaka, Ledlum, Knecht, Mashack, Vescovi, Zeigler and Dilione. I do like the makeup of this group on paper. The transfers, Ledlum and Knecht in particular, earn/deserve starting positions and give us some scoring punch that we lacked often last year.
His spot in the rotation isnt that important to me. Thats up to his work ethic. Someone commented he is a freak athlete and i said it would be nice if he was Pons 2.0. I know nothing about him other than his youtube highlights. But if he works his tail off who knows if he sees the floor or not.

Huh? I know the saying is that the numbers will work themselves out, but I'm not seeing how this can work.
I don't put much into it myself. Would be coaching negligence if you don't at least reach out to a guy like Udeh. Don't think we’re serious contenders, and I don't think we’re seriously recruiting the portal. Just putting out fillers and trying to build relationships for the future IMO.

I said it a long time ago, this roster doesn't excite me at all. A lot of mid major fodder playing important minutes next year.
Mid majors faired well in the tourney. Took TN out and plenty of other P6s. So may be an upgrade. At least it's an attempt to add needed offense.

Not relating to TN, but On3 shows Caleb Love uncommitted. I thought he had committed to Michigan? Something happen there?

Not relating to TN, but On3 shows Caleb Love uncommitted. I thought he had committed to Michigan? Something happen there?
They are saying Admissions, but it's more than likely NIL related. It's not like UNC and Michigan are very far apart academically. Funny enough, Armando Bacot's sister started working at the school I teach a month or so back. Before Love committed to Michigan, Missouri and Kansas were heavily in the mix. Can definitely see him landing at one or the other now.

Last edited:
They are saying Admissions, but it's more than likely NIL related. It's not like UNC and Michigan are very far apart academically. Funny enough, Armando Bacot's sister started working at the school I teach a month or so back. Before Love committed to Michigan, Missouri and Kansas were heavily in the mix. Can definitely see him landing at one or the other now.

blue font?

They’re two of the best public universities in the country. I don’t think he’s being sarcastic.
Michigan has a higher academic requirement for transfers than they do regular admissions, their requirements are among the highest of any university in the country. Love was going to lose a bunch of credits carrying over for UNC, same thing happened with another player trying to transfer there last year as well.

Michigan has a higher academic requirement for transfers than they do regular admissions, their requirements are among the highest of any university in the country. Love was going to lose a bunch of credits carrying over for UNC, same thing happened with another player trying to transfer there last year as well.

None of that changes my original observation. Michigan and UNC are 3 and 5 in public universities. That is not a big gap. Separately— Transfer credit requirements are not a marker for academic rigor or institutional quality. Love didn’t have enough core credits to be qualified as a Sophomore at UM. That speaks more to the classes he took than anything else.

Reactions: berryvol
None of that changes my original observation. Michigan and UNC are 3 and 5 in public universities. That is not a big gap. Separately— Transfer credit requirements are not a marker for academic rigor or institutional quality. Love didn’t have enough core credits to be qualified as a Sophomore at UM. That speaks more to the classes he took than anything else.

It's one thing to get admitted into UNC as a student athlete out of HS - it's another to maintain a GPA to qualify for Michigan.

From what I recall the student athletes at UNC don't exactly have the highest standards, though that might have changed some since the scandal.

Wasn’t speaking about the general ranking, just in regards to transfer requirements…Love would get into 99% of universities with his credits, Michigan is an outlier with their requirements.

UNC and UM might be different, but the Ivy schools have an allowance for a certain number of athletes who don't meet their stratospheric admissions. Those "exceptions" still have to hit 1250 minimum on the SAT but it's taken a long with other things and as a kind of sliding scale. Hard to imagine UM denying him strictly on academics alone. Like others theorize, I suspect an NIL component is involved.

UNC and UM might be different, but the Ivy schools have an allowance for a certain number of athletes who don't meet their stratospheric admissions. Those "exceptions" still have to hit 1250 minimum on the SAT but it's taken a long with other things and as a kind of sliding scale. Hard to imagine UM denying him strictly on academics alone. Like others theorize, I suspect an NIL component is involved.
It’s been reported multiple outlets, he didn’t have the credits Michigan requires, nothing to do with NIL.

VN Store

Back