Tennessee Transfer Portal Targets

Staff had a call with Knecht late Wednesday, a zoom with him and his parents yesterday. They’re supposed to hear from his decision today. I assume that means it’ll be public too, but have not heard that. When I said it we were still in it Wednesday after Ledlum commit, my friend said Knecht was blown away by his visit, but wanted another conversation about his role after he came down from the excitement. That apparently went very well. He hasn’t said he’s coming officially, but it’s hard to read this another way right now. Hopefully there won’t be any last minute distance panic. He’d be a great add.
Please let it happen. We really need another offensive threat. Maybe some of the youngsters have that ability, but no matter how good they are, there's an adjustment period especially in this league.

Reactions: VOLED
If Knecht commits and Phillips wants to stay, we have a numbers problem. That’s something that they’d have to solve. Others have posited that they’d look to nudge out a younger player. I don’t think that’s likely. If they take Knecht, I think they believe Phillips is gone.
Would they consider encouraging Edwards to move on if JP wants to stay and Knecht comes? Or would they be more likely to close the door on Phillips if Knecht commits?

Don’t think it’s going to happen. I wonder if they’ve seen Dilione enough to like him…and Edwards will be a sophomore.

Same thought. And one thing that we can say about the Barnes era…players develop. Maybe they like the way Edwards is coming along. Maybe they think he will develop into a solid backup option on the ball next year. Or maybe they think that about Dillione. Or both.

My multi week freak out was over not getting a PG. Still a concern, like it is for a few others on here.

I’ve also previously posted that Ledlum and Knecht would be nice pickups.

It’s so funny how you get so defensive. Again, it’s not that hard 😘
Please don’t try and play that card, you weren’t just freaking out about a PG lmao, don’t make me pull receipts 😉

If Knecht commits and Phillips wants to stay, we have a numbers problem. That’s something that they’d have to solve. Others have posited that they’d look to nudge out a younger player. I don’t think that’s likely. If they take Knecht, I think they believe Phillips is gone.
Someone still has to leave, or Gainey has to walk on.

Don’t think it’s going to happen. I wonder if they’ve seen Dilione enough to like him…and Edwards will be a sophomore.
I think they’ve gotten positive vibes on Zeigler being ready to go before the season starts, liked what they’ve seen from Dilione at PG, and worst case scenario feel like what they got from Mashack this past year could serve in a pinch if needed…Gainey also played some PG at USC-Upstate so while it’s not his best or natural position much like Mashack he could do it in a pinch.

Would they consider encouraging Edwards to move on if JP wants to stay and Knecht comes? Or would they be more likely to close the door on Phillips if Knecht commits?

I don’t know as much as Stoerner, but I get the feeling it’s the latter. And I’m fine with that. That with also indicate to me that the staff feels good about Edwards’ direction.

Reactions: VOLED
Same thought. And one thing that we can say about the Barnes era…players develop. Maybe they like the way Edwards is coming along. Maybe they think he will develop into a solid backup option on the ball next year. Or maybe they think that about Dillione. Or both.
Barnes comments about Edwards would indicate he isn’t going anywhere. I hope the young man exceeds at UT.

“On how big of a summer it is for BJ Edwards:
“I think it’s big a summer not just for BJ, but for all of our guys because we’ve got a team where we’ve had some young guys have some big moments. But in terms of BJ himself, we’ve got a lot of confidence in BJ. He’s working really really hard and he knows he’s going to need to become a better shooter. He’s putting the time in, he’s putting the work in, he’s putting the concentration in to do the things he needs to do to develop that part of his game along with the other things he needs to develop. We watched him from day one almost a year ago in the summer with the way he went at it with Zakai, I thought utilized that time. We’re expecting him to be a big part of this.”

I don’t know as much as Stoerner, but I get the feeling it’s the latter. And I’m fine with that. That with also indicate to me that the staff feels good about Edwards’ direction.
Nothing against Phillips but that was my hope. Don't know if Phillips is kind of laid back like JJJ or if he wasn't really into things as the year wore on due to injuries and an eye on the draft but I'm okay with him moving on. As for Edwards, I hope me makes me eat my words, but I'm not sure he's going to be much more than a backup at UT.

Nothing against Phillips but that was my hope. Don't know if Phillips is kind of laid back like JJJ or if he wasn't really into things as the year wore on due to injuries and an eye on the draft but I'm okay with him moving on. As for Edwards, I hope me makes me eat my words, but I'm not sure he's going to be much more than a backup at UT.

Agree on Phillips. Too early to tell on Edwards. We as fans tend to give up on players far too early. We’ll know a lot more about Edwards this season.

Reactions: walkenvol
I’ll get blowback for this, but I can’t think of a better group of pure shooters on our roster in a very long time. Carr and Estrella each have a very good stroke. Gainey is a shooter. Hard to know who’ll be in the court when, but Barnes obviously doesn’t want to watch another team throw a blanket on Santi.
Good call. If land Knecht could be the best group of shooters since Lofton, Watson and J. Smith were on the court together. Can’t wait to see what Estrella brings.

I do not think it’s Barnes’ style to push out a scholarship kid at the 11th hour. They had ongoing conversations with all the COVID seniors starting in March. VQ and others have said Gainey is a scholarship player, but I think that’s where the bending happens if we need a spot.

We made the sweet 16 without one. Seemed to do ok 🤷‍♂️
And lost to a guard dominant team with about ½ the actual talent. The lack of a PG, especially one who could defend and stay in front of his man, defensively, was probably most evident in that game. So, yeah, we made the S16, but with a healthy ZZ and our draw, the S16 was not our ceiling in hindsight.

I totally agree that it’s important. I suppose I’m saying that having multiple solid PG’s is a luxury few teams have. I also think, despite ZZ’s injury, it’s hard to convince a transfer PG to come play here when we already have a starter established at the position. That said, a PG was also my biggest want in the portal.
I don't think it should be too difficult to sell that idea to a transfer PG, though. We can point at Kennedy Chandler/Zakai Zeigler and show how we've implemented it and made it successful running with two PGs just two seasons ago. We have a recent proven history of making that very situation work. I do agree that it is a luxury to have two guys of that caliber at your disposal, but if any team and coach could make their case to an incoming PG, I'd think it would be us.

Reactions: Vols410
I don't think it should be too difficult to sell that idea to a transfer PG, though. We can point at Kennedy Chandler/Zakai Zeigler and show how we've implemented it and made it successful running with two PGs just two seasons ago. We have a recent proven history of making that very situation work. I do agree that it is a luxury to have two guys of that caliber at your disposal, but if any team and coach could make their case to an incoming PG, I'd think it would be us.
The PG options were pretty weak, I think that’s the biggest thing, which I know you and I have discussed before…would they have liked one, I’m sure, but to put it in simple terms idk that they were willing to take a 75th overall player because he’s a PG rather than a 25th overall player who’s a wing or a post. When you look at the top of the PG portal rankings most of those guys knew where they were heading when they entered the portal, a few others had some headaches around them and wouldn’t be fits here, before you know it you’re down to the Ques Glovers of the world.

I’ll get blowback for this, but I can’t think of a better group of pure shooters on our roster in a very long time. Carr and Estrella each have a very good stroke. Gainey is a shooter. Hard to know who’ll be in the court when, but Barnes obviously doesn’t want to watch another team throw a blanket on Santi.
Yeah, it certainly seems like we are collecting shooters. Santi, Carr, Gainey, Knecht (potentially). Estrella, Aidoo, Ledlum all with potential from the post as shooters, as well. Outside shooting had better not be a problem with that bunch. I still worry a little about our ability to get to the rim for buckets or fouls, but I hope Dilione, Knecht, and Ledlum can help address that immediate concern.

And that is potentially the dangerous game that Phillips is playing. If he were to return, we may look to make room without explicitly forcing someone out, but if he gets some negative feedback, that may be where he has to look to the portal for another destination. It sucks for him and for us, as I'm sure we'd love to have him back, but unless Barnes is willing to get his hands dirty by axing someone (not a method I'd be a fan of), then Phillips may just up a creek as far as Tennessee is concerned. We have to prepare for the worst, which is him leaving for the draft and staying in it, and strike while the iron is hot with someone willing to come take his place. It is the unfortunate timing of the draft window and the portal window Barnes was admonishing earlier this week.

VN Store

Back