Tennessee the 7th best job in the SEC (16th nationally)

Pray tell on what criteria they base such a ludicrous assertion? This should be most entertaining.

Reactions: feathersax
Pray tell on what criteria they base such a ludicrous assertion? This should be most entertaining.
From the article:

What exactly determines the best job in a conference or in college football? Each person’s criteria will be different, but some programs already have inherent advantages in terms of location, money and tradition. Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State and Texas are some of the nation’s best jobs, largely due to some of the factors mentioned previously. Do they have their drawbacks? Absolutely. But it’s easier to win a national title at Texas than it is at Oklahoma State. On the flipside, jobs like New Mexico State, UMass and Eastern Michigan have a different set of challenges. Recruiting to remote locations or conference affiliation plays a role in just how tough a job is at the FBS level.

Ranking all 130 college football jobs is no easy task. After all, the rankings are subjective based upon numerous factors, but we have ranked every college football program in the country, based on the attractiveness of the position from a coaching perspective. We considered many factors — tradition, facilities, location, money, ability to recruit talent — but in the end, we simply asked ourselves the following question: Where would we want to coach?

Reactions: Johncarter53
I agree with the top 4. I think an argument can be made for TN to be at #5, but so could A&M. Only one I find kind of crazy to be ranked below is Auburn, but you can't argue with their track record. They've simply been the better program than UT for a good while now.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I would put UGA 3rd. Bama, Florida, UGA, LSU then A&M, Auburn and Tennessee all grouped together.
Agreed. They are obviously weighing a high in-state, black population base as the most important criteria for a program to have but recruiting is still just the means to an end and Georgia has only won 1 National Championship since 1980.... and both Alabama and Florida also have large black population bases.

Reactions: volfanjustin
I'd switch Florida & Georgia, A&M & LSU, and Tennessee & Auburn. Aside from that, I'd say the in-conference order looks about right.

As for the entire 130, there's a lot I'd change. The first glaring issue is that Michigan at #11 is way too high.

Reactions: DonDiego and Ertel
The program has had one winning SEC season (5–3 in 2015) since 2007.

I'm pretty sure I knew this, but seeing it in writing...dang!

Tough to argue ranking logic on UT, but we'll jump alot of people really fast when we start winning... UF was a sleeping giant until the 90's, now UGA's caught fire, but doesn't mean we can't be in the mix too. We now seem to have logical people making logical football decisions (Fulmer, Pruitt, staff), but can't act like 10 years of dysfunctional behavior didn't have consequences.

I’m about as “Tennessee isn’t that great of a job as people want it to be” but A&M is overrated as a job. I’d rather be at UT.

Reactions: k-town_king
Does self abuse still mean what the nuns told me it meant? If so, I've been reading this articles COMPLETELY wrong.
A lot of Debbie downer Tennessee fans on Volnation love to post articles about how mediocre Tennessee sports(especially football) is. This is the only message board in the SEC where the posters do dumbsh*t like that.

They know coaches have to reside in some of those locales right? Several states immediately discarded were I the one coaching.

Reactions: tbh and VFL-82-JP
A lot of Debbie downer Tennessee fans on Volnation love to post articles about how mediocre Tennessee sports(especially football) is. This is the only message board in the SEC where the posters do dumbsh*t like that.
It's also the only SEC fan base that has seen its team get whipped by Vanderbilt on a pretty regular basis over the last 7 years. Coincidence?

Last edited:
Reactions: vettefool
The only thing that matters is....Can this university (insert name here) win at the highest level?

The answer is yes in the case of Tennessee.

Is it easier at other places? Yes

The other factor is “how low can you go?” And I think that is effecting these rankings. It’s hard to imagine any school ranked ahead of Tennessee on the list having a decade like Tennessee just had.

JMO

All this means NOTHING, that junk changes every year. This is a fine job, we have a good coach. Let's just play football, I could care less what anybody thinks about us. Athlon, the media, blah blah blah all I care about is football time in TENNESSEE!!!!! They can go take their predictions and stick where the sun don't shine. GBO!!!!

The only thing that matters is....Can this university (insert name here) win at the highest level?

The answer is yes in the case of Tennessee.

Is it easier at other places? Yes

The other factor is “how low can you go?” And I think that is effecting these rankings. It’s hard to imagine any school ranked ahead of Tennessee on the list having a decade like Tennessee just had.

JMO
LSU Football Records from 1989-2000:

1989: 4-7
1990: 5-6
1991: 5-6
1992: 2-9
1993: 5-6
1994: 4-7
1995: 7-4-1
1996: 10-2
1997: 9-3
1998: 4-7
1999: 3-8
2000: 8-4
Total: 66-69-1 (Tennessee's record from 2008-2018 was 67-70)

Last edited:
If we are talking currently then they aren't wrong. We've been in a slump for 10-15 years. Historically we are top 10. If we win then we are relevant. Simple as that.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back