Tennessee Still a Premier School?

I wouldn't argue against you that it's not. Even though I believe it still is.

Because, it can seriously turn around so quickly. Butch for all his faults had people believing in 2016 that we were going to Atlanta and possibly further until injuries and bad coaching took its toal.

The perception can get turned around in a hurry because Tennessee has a super long tradition of winning football.

Fans were fooled about 2016 and 15 as well. . Remove Dobbs from those team and its a different story.. Jones would have been fired a year earlier with no Dobbs.

Fans were fooled about 2016 and 15 as well. . Remove Dobbs from those team and its a different story.. Jones would have been fired a year earlier with no Dobbs.

This is true. I knew in ‘15 with the losses to and the way we lost to Okla, Fla and Arky that he was just not going to get it done here. I don’t believe in moral victories so the close game against Bama solidified that. The ‘16 season was so much of the same. I am surprised our/his luck lasted to and till aTm. Had to scratch and crawl back into games and without Dobbs, that would not have been possible.

Dobbs literally got his chance because Worely was too physically damaged to play.
Butch lucked his way into those 9 win seasons. He absolutely sucks. And THATS my point. You get a good coach in here that takes Tennessee and beats all teams with the lesser talent and some with more, and the hype will come back in a hurry!

Our brand is still everywhere. From the NFL, to sports media and just having the BEST fanbase in college football.

In terms of market value, which is now the most powerful influence in college football, Tennessee is easily top 20. For that reason alone we still have the potential to return to top 20 status in regards to winning. Of course everything’s kind of relative in that regard. The sec might be the only conference left and by default we’d never finish worse than 16th in the country. But at least we’re still playing football at the highest level?

Value in the top 20, but playing like we're bottom feeders for years. Hiring chumps and assistant coaches as our HCs. Who wins in this scenario? Follow the money for your answer.

Knoxville is one of the best college football markets in the country. Nashville is up there. The Vols would be in the top 16 teams in America in terms of value to a conference. But we’re not cemented there forever

Amen. There is no Divine Mandate that dictates Tennessee football's national relevance. Remember when Sewanee was a football power? Yeah, me either.

Beautiful gardens do not grow on their own, they are a product of their tender's work - and for too long the tenders of Tennessee football have not been up to the task.

Don't know if I agree or not.

He gave the overall record. SEC record for same timeframe is 35-69. More OOC wins than in conference wins.

beginning with Fulmers last season and including staff for this season, here are the number of coaches that have been here.

6 Head Coaches

8 Offensive Coordinators

10 defensive Coordinators

61 Position Coaches

I've lost count of the number of SC coaches. Been a bunch

Be nice if these number stabilize rather than continue to trend in a negative direction.. keep staff around for a while and reverse those conference numbers.

Might still be premier but certainly not stable.
I agree with you 100%. Also, the AD and Univ. President & Chancellor changes have played greatly into the lack of continuity. The entire university staff and culture must be on the same page for a program to be totally great. STATES EXHIBIT “A”, ALABAMA

Reactions: LWSVOL
I will always believe in Tennessee. The VOLS will always be the premier football team to me, and at my house I'm the only one that matters.

Honestly I am more upset about the 2016 season than 2015. The amount of talent on that 2016 compared with the rest of the East? A PeeWee level coach could have had that team in Atlanta in December just by sitting back and not screwing things up.

I honestly briefly thought after the UGA miracle that maybe for once, the ball was going to bounce in our direction. That hope ended after the A&M game. Might as well have canned Butch then and saved ourself a season and a half of misery
looking back on that team and where some of those players are now, they should have been top 5 all season… but we butch’d it up

Depends on your definition of premier. Is One National championship in the past 53 years classified as premier?

Should be but Ive not seen anything that proves the people in charge actually want us to be elite.

Maybe we’ll get lucky with one of these Valuetime coaches.

UT has a national following not congruent with recent success.

UT has a good history... and contrary to popular belief history and tradition still matter when it comes to relevance.

UT has a stadium that fills up with 100K rabid fans when the program gives them even a small glimmer of hope.

UT is still a very good TV draw and "travels well" both to bowls and away games.

As long as these things remain true, UT is a coach away from rising from the ashes. There will come a day when UT finds that coach.

Tennessee has a lot going for it. Huge market in Nashville IF they can capture that market. They have a ton of money, at one time they were one of the highest revenue programs in the country probably still are despite decades of incompetence. They have a prominent alumni that owns an NFL team. Everyone needs to get on the same page, tell the ncaa to kick rocks and put together a plan that maximizes the advantages of the NIL for the program. That of course won’t happen our boosters are more concerned with who controls the program.

Don't know if I agree or not.

He gave the overall record. SEC record for same timeframe is 35-69. More OOC wins than in conference wins.

beginning with Fulmers last season and including staff for this season, here are the number of coaches that have been here.

6 Head Coaches

8 Offensive Coordinators

10 defensive Coordinators

61 Position Coaches

I've lost count of the number of SC coaches. Been a bunch

Be nice if these number stabilize rather than continue to trend in a negative direction.. keep staff around for a while and reverse those conference numbers.

Might still be premier but certainly not stable.

The brand and the structure is stable. It's the morons that have been running it that are the problem.

Reactions: Remy
True. From presidents down. And I'm afraid these 2 leading now are no different.

Actually, now that the Fulmer as AD thing blew up in their faces? I am hoping this has led to a ceasing of the feuding that has been going on over there. And though "these two leading now" might be no different? Hopefully, the results will be different.

UT has a national following not congruent with recent success.

UT has a good history... and contrary to popular belief history and tradition still matter when it comes to relevance.

UT has a stadium that fills up with 100K rabid fans when the program gives them even a small glimmer of hope.

UT is still a very good TV draw and "travels well" both to bowls and away games.

As long as these things remain true, UT is a coach away from rising from the ashes. There will come a day when UT finds that coach.
I agree. When I moved back to the SF Bay Area, I assumed I would be one of maybe a few UTK alumni out here. As it turns our we're all over the Bay area and a groups of us (including fans) get together in the city to watch games. Seriously, we're big in numbers out here.

Reactions: sjt18
Football only:
to us, yes
the rest of the world, no
that's not to say it cant be changed, but currently.....we all know the true answer to this question
Academically, yes absolutely

Does anyone remember when Harvard had a nationally dominant football program? I don't but I have read that they once did.

Actually, now that the Fulmer as AD thing blew up in their faces? I am hoping this has led to a ceasing of the feuding that has been going on over there. And though "these two leading now" might be no different? Hopefully, the results will be different.

Results have not been different thus far. They managed to give out extensions and face large unnecessary buyouts. and the buyouts the current AD and HC are getting will be much larger than those who just left. Hopefully, they produce so UT doesn't face those numbers.

VN Store

Back