Tennessee Softball

I appreciate all the comments on pitching. I have finally learned that the Barnhill crow hop allows her to push off a second time, closer to the batter, but still in the circle. The you tube tutorial by Barnhill shows her touching the ground, just barely. (Dragging the pivot foot.)

There is a thing called gamesmanship where we should have every left handed batter rub out the line every time up seen other teams do it they do it all the time in MLB. Is that unethical? Rick Pitino use to have his players foul on the press til the refs just got tired of calling it and let it go. Never seen anyone ever called for rubbing out the line it is an art if done right. Do we want to play that way it sure would make life easier on our slappers and harder on the umps to call?
Seen umps redraw the line with the knob of your bat many times when players try this.

Last edited:
Umps really don't enforce illegal pitching much. Whether it's hopping, leaping or a pitcher not starting with both feet on the rubber. Because a lot of pitchers definitely have that other foot slightly off the rubber.

I'm convinced they just ignore it, because there's no way they don't see it. I can see not seeing a batter out of the box b/c it's the HP ump's responsibility and a lot of times their eyes simply aren't on the batter's feet. I personally like the rule where only one foot had to be in the box.

Okay pulled this from Florida promotion tweet of Barnhill thanking fans. First photo is her leap off rubber, the second shows where she lands and then starts her drags sideways (notice the sweep marks in the dirt) look how far out she is before she drags. It is a massive joke.kelly1.jpgkelly002.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GameTime
They all seemed to decide a while back that they weren't going to call Barnhill's blatant crowhopping. Conversely, most umps don't call slappers for stepping out unless the other coach mentions it to them. Most coaches keep quiet unless one of their slappers is called out. That's what happened to us against aTm and one other game this year. Will be interesting to see if they call it this weekend. We need Holcomb's bat.

Umps really don't enforce illegal pitching much. Whether it's hopping, leaping or a pitcher not starting with both feet on the rubber. Because a lot of pitchers definitely have that other foot slightly off the rubber.

I'm convinced they just ignore it, because there's no way they don't see it. I can see not seeing a batter out of the box b/c it's the HP ump's responsibility and a lot of times their eyes simply aren't on the batter's feet. I personally like the rule where only one foot had to be in the box.

I think there are some that just haven't adjusted to looking for it. But I do think you're correct, there are umpires that just don't call it. I have been led to believe that's because some of them think it's a bad rule. The problem with that is you have players that haven't adjusted because it changes footwork they've done all their lives and then have lax enforcement of the rule, then it sticks out like a sore thumb when you get the rare ump that is militant about it.

The rule was actually created to curb players that were hitting in front of the box, which stopped almost immediately. The foot over the inside line was an unintended consequence, but I don't see them changing it.

You saw it called at conference tournaments more for two reasons: Games on TV and final evaluations for NCAA Tourney assignments for umpires. Failing to call a hitter outside the box can cost an umpire a regional, which can be a loss of more than $2k.

Just protest and protest again....

It would rattle her, and that is all that in needed to shake her confidence.

Obviously you didn’t watch much from her first two years in the league. It was a constant protest from coaches, to no avail. Didn’t shake her one bit, either. The only thing that shakes her is to get hit. Unfortunately, a few teams are able to do it, but if you can hit her early, she is a shell of herself.

Obviously you didn’t watch much from her first two years in the league. It was a constant protest from coaches, to no avail. Didn’t shake her one bit, either. The only thing that shakes her is to get hit. Unfortunately, a few teams are able to do it, but if you can hit her early, she is a shell of herself.

DeerPark, I always value your opinion...

I agree, if she is hit early, she is not as effective.....I have watched a lot of softball (Florida) when the LVs were not playing this season.....It just kills me the way the league just takes her crow hopping like it's a right of passage....

Barnhill seems like a nice young lady, but my lands, for the league to celebrate her blatant breaking of the rules is insane.....It's like a pitcher throwing a spitter in baseball, or a football player chop blocking and breaking legs.....It's just wrong.

The playing field is not level with the crow hopper getting away with her shenanigans.

Read or heard somewhere that our region is the second highest in average rpi so this is going to take some work hopefully our hitting comes around and explodes for the postseason. Live in your hopes not in your fears -- Johnny Majors

Reactions: LA Vol and Memvol44
Chelsea Seggern said, “If we get hot, there’s nobody stopping us." That's such a passive statement from one of the team leaders. Where's the aggressive attitude, the fire, the "we're going to WIN this" mentality? Auburn had it in the SECT and that's why the team that played with less intensity, less urgency and less determination went home. The LVs are going to be challenged in this regional-- they have to WANT IT or the season ends this weekend.

Reactions: sccshortstop
Read or heard somewhere that our region is the second highest in average rpi so this is going to take some work hopefully our hitting comes around and explodes for the postseason. Live in your hopes not in your fears -- Johnny Majors

Last time that happened we had Arizona in 2016 and didn't even come close to winning that regional -- we lost both our games to them and couldn't even force a 3rd game. But Arizona owns us so there's that.

A similar scenario happened in 2011 when we got Oklahoma State and we also lost our only two games vs. them.

DeerPark, I always value your opinion...

I agree, if she is hit early, she is not as effective.

A lot of elite pitchers get rattled if they are hit early in a game. It happened a lot with Monica when we had her. It didn't happen a lot, but when she got hit early it really rattled her and she was quite frequently very average the rest of the game if the opposing team got to her early. That's why she got pulled when she got hit early. It happened in the Supers vs. Michigan and Hawaii in her junior and senior seasons. We won game 1, and she got plastered in game 2 in both those supers, and she came back strong in the last games.

It happened some with Ricketts at Oklahoma, too. She would get hit early and Patty Gasso would pull her. Of course, she had an elite backup pitcher, too, so that helped. In past years, Florida had the luxury of having elite backup pitchers, which they don't have this season.

Just protest and protest again....

It would rattle her, and that is all that in needed to shake her confidence.

Agreed! And it doesn’t cost you anything to complain. It probably doesn’t do anything, but if the troops see there generals fighting for them it may light a fire under them! Use any edge you can get. Florida’s coach does!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Okay pulled this from Florida promotion tweet of Barnhill thanking fans. First photo is her leap off rubber, the second shows where she lands and then starts her drags sideways (notice the sweep marks in the dirt) look how far out she is before she drags. It is a massive joke.View attachment 205524View attachment 205525
That is ok...if you land on the front leg before the back leg hits the ground. She does not!

I realized recently that Barnhill via the crow hop begins her momentum pushing off the rubber and then pushes off after the crow hop. Bottom line IMO, she throws 71 mph closer to the batter as compared to her opponent who throws 71 mph from the push off only from the rubber.
I believe she can be effective without the crow hop, but if no ump wants to call it, why change. Every manager should be protesting.

I can't make it to Knoxville this weekend but as of 1:00pm there are still orange chairback seats for the weekend for $40 for all games. Whatever one thinks of softball it is a great value sports wise a lot of bang for the buck even in tournament games.

LMFAO @ ESPN slow-mo highlighting her illegal pitching.

Also, notice how her drive foot starts behind the rubber, not on it.

Volman, my man, I saw her feet were not both on the rubber too, which is another infraction, but I didn't want to complain more than I already have about the crow hopper....

The more you look at her illegal pitching, and listen to the praise being heaped upon her by the talking heads, is enough to make you ill at your stomach...

Our girls often get called out, not always, but often enough for being out of the batters box, but the crow hopper just gets praise and more praise...

It's a mad house!

If pitching rules aren't going to be followed, then the NCAA should just move the pitcher's circle back about 8 feet and let them all pitch however the heck they want to as long as one foot starts on the rubber.

Reactions: WizardofOz

VN Store

Back