Tennessee Softball

A lot of these national seeds have added transfers to help them win. UF, Bama, Oklahoma-- these coaches bring in the pieces they need to win championships. The Weeklys don't like to do that, but bringing in some solid power hitters sure could give the lineup a boost. We'll lose Leach and Bearden-- and there goes a big chunk of our offensive production.

She does, but Monica Abbott is illegal in her pitching now, too. They are arguably the best two pitchers in the world. (Monica didn't leap at UT. But I watched a documentary last night on YT about Monica playing in Japan and she's clearly leaping -- as opposed to crow-hopping/replanting by Barnhill. Her windup/release has been tweaked over the years and I wonder if that has something to do with it.)

If Barnhill has a shot at making the Olympic team, and the US hopes to be successful with Monica in the circle, it needs to be corrected.

It will be interesting to see who makes the Olympic team. Cat Osterman has come out of retirement in hopes of making the team, and she was known as a bad leaper at Texas, but never got in trouble for it in international play. Also, Barnhill is the most blatantly illegal pitcher in terms of planting I've ever seen in softball. Leaping isn't as noticeable in real time, with some fairly noticeable exceptions in Jordan Taylor at Michigan, Kenzie Fowler at Arizona and Stephanie Brombacher at Florida.
Heard on a broadcast earlier in the year that “leaping” is LEGAL in professional softball and possibly Olympic softball. Can’t remember exactly what they said

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Heard on a broadcast earlier in the year that “leaping” is LEGAL in professional softball and possibly Olympic softball. Can’t remember exactly what they said
What I’ve watched the Japanese pitchers do it a lot the rules must be different the amateur/college rules vs international I don’t know if Barnhill will make the Olympic team or not depends on who is coaching in the end they have of course let her get away with murder for years. None of the announcers will ever talk about her. During our Florida series the Florida camera crew made the mistake of showing the side view one time that view was never shown again camera person probably lost their job 😃

Reactions: ldyvolsoftballfan
Today's broadcast had a side angle view of Barnhill crow hopping big time......Her back foot was well off the ground, and then she replanted....I had to stop watching the game....I can't stand the adulation for an obvious cheater.

UNC pitching gave us fits even though we won. I don’t really know anything about OSU. We seem to always play Longwood that is a cannot lose game.

It's definitely not legal in int'l softball unless some rule may have changed that I'm unaware of.

The softball committee remains on that BS. They love sticking with RPI as much as possible for seeding (hence Florida being seeded so high despite being borderline garbage this season) and they relish the opportunity to put conference teams up against each other in the Supers. It's really lazy and annoying, but I've come to expect it at this point. There isn't a more inept SelCom in the NCAA than the softball one.

It's definitely not legal in int'l softball unless some rule may have changed that I'm unaware of.

Copied and pasted from the WBSC official rules for 2018-2021. Check (F) and (H). You can drag or leap. You can't re-plant and push off a 2nd time. It's been the men's rule for a long time. It will be the rule everywhere eventually.

softball rules.jpg

nobody asked me, but here is what I would do (assuming no injuries):
Leach, 2b
Hannon, cf
Seggern, 3b
Bearden, 1b
Rogers, DH
Phillips, c
Osbron, ss
Holcomb, lf
Ayala, rf
PITCHING: 1) Moss, 2) Rogers, 3) Arnold, if 4) Rogers

Last edited:
Reactions: WizardofOz
Gotta like a potential match up with the Gators to get in the WS ?
At this point deal with Longwood and move forward and hope we get on a roll. Anyone assuming we are already locked into playing Florida has not been watching lately. It would be sweet to knock the Gators out but that is a long way from happening at this point.

VN Store

Back