Tennessee Softball

Tennessee outfield defense is horrendous. Not WCWS caliber at all. This was not a good weekend for them. Yesterday started bad. Today was worse. Other teams outfield made the exact play to change the game that UT outfield could have made. Exact. Both balls we at the top of the wall and the reigning national champs are champs for a reason

Weekly’s need to go visit their financial advisor and make sure their retirement savings is good.

I thought I had seen the dumbest takes of the weekend with the UT-UK basketball game and then this gem rolled in...

My guess is you are a former helicopter parent with a lot of time on your hands now.

The big concern for us is our pitching. The freshman actually outpitching the upper classmen thus far. I expected a lot out of Arnold and Moss thus far not producing as expected. When you play the top team your pitching has to hold them to as low a run total as possible because all of these top teams have pitchers that will hold you. Team will go as the pitching goes hopefully Arnold and Moss will find their stride and we'll have a great season.

Reactions: IndyVol46
The big concern for us is our pitching. The freshman actually outpitching the upper classmen thus far. I expected a lot out of Arnold and Moss thus far not producing as expected. When you play the top team your pitching has to hold them to as low a run total as possible because all of these top teams have pitchers that will hold you. Team will go as the pitching goes hopefully Arnold and Moss will find their stride and we'll have a great season.
That's been the case for 10 or more years about the pitching. I am not sure why the outfield is doing as poor as it is. Holcomb and Ayala has been adequate in the past but not so much so far. That 3rd spot is still up for grabs and I think the whoever it ends with will be the best hitter. That is saying a lot because hitters are few and far in between. Still early but I think if Batts can hit a lick she may get it. Karen said last night that Arnold was hyped up a little and her speed was to fast for her spins to cause the ball to come in flat rather that curve. JMHO as always!

At this point I think Arnold and Moss are what they are, better than average but not close to elite. They aren't going to suddenly gain 5 MPH or develop a devastating new pitch. On days when they consistently hit their spots they will look good and on days when they leave too many pitches fat they are subject to get lit up. I've only seen 3 of the games on TV this season so maybe it's not fair to judge but it still seems to me that we don't work in the change up enough. If you can't throw harder, or more accurately, or with more movement... then what's left? Change speed more and try to mess with the hitter's timing. I know it's easier said than done though.

In the future I'd like to see us have a more stark contrast between our pitchers. I don't think Gabriel and Gaffin had any better ERA than Arnold and Moss but when you had to make a change mid game they looked so different it had to be harder for the hitters to adjust quickly. Gabriel throwing more up and when Gaffin was on she was nearly bouncing the ball in the dirt. I'm sure every coaching staff would love to have 2 or 3 very diverse, very dominating pitchers. Once again, I know it's easier said than done. JMHO and Go Vols!

Reactions: Remy
This team will be good. This is a good experience. Rogers is going to get it done.
Matty and Caylan had to shoulder almost the whole pitching load last year, they needed some help. First time to see Ashley Rogers, and she looks great! No need for AR to get jitters against any team, she just did very well against some of the best in the country. Looking forward to all softball games this year and in the future! Go Lady Vols!

Tennessee outfield defense is horrendous. Not WCWS caliber at all. This was not a good weekend for them. Yesterday started bad. Today was worse. Other teams outfield made the exact play to change the game that UT outfield could have made. Exact. Both balls we at the top of the wall and the reigning national champs are champs for a reason

Weekly’s need to go visit their financial advisor and make sure their retirement savings is good.
You have athletes on the bench who can make plays but it looks like coaches only think they can pitch run. IMO if they run for the so called " big hitters " they should continue to play in the field.

Gabby Spring starting to make improvement at Oklahoma State ERA down to 2.61 She does have 10 walks in 10 innings but seven of those was in her first start. She is 2 and 0 on the season. They may be making her into a pitcher over there something we couldn't do here.

Gabby Spring starting to make improvement at Oklahoma State ERA down to 2.61 She does have 10 walks in 10 innings but seven of those was in her first start. She is 2 and 0 on the season. They may be making her into a pitcher over there something we couldn't do here.
I hope they do. I am afraid our pitching coach has lost some respect with some of our student athletes for a few years now. Need a new look, something in the line of a Renfroe or a new blood transfusion from the outside. JMHO as always!

I hope she does well but that ERA is probably not sustainable if she continues to give up 2 plus base runners per inning. She's pitched 10 innings and given up 10 hits and 10 walks. And she has given up 4 un-earned runs in those 10 innings also, because she constantly has multiple runners on base when her team commits an error behind her. She gives up way more un-earned runs than the other pitchers, same as at UT last year, which don't reflect on her ERA but are partly her fault.

With the modern bats you do not even have to catch it square or out front to hit homers.

yep- look at McCrackin (Auburn)..she doesn't weigh 100 lbs soaking wet, yet leads the team in homers and is actually their power hitting threat. The old logic about your HR hitter having to be a 5x5 beefy player is obsolete.

Karen does the vast majority of the pitching coach duties.
You cannot pin the pitching woes or positives on McDaniel. They don't let him truly work with the pitchers.

What does Marty do when he is not working with pitchers. Maybe Karen thinks she knows more than Marty. Just asking cause you check around and he gets the blame when blame is due.

What does Marty do when he is not working with pitchers. Maybe Karen thinks she knows more than Marty. Just asking cause you check around and he gets the blame when blame is due.

Primary recruiter, first of all. In practice, he throws every pitch of batting practice since non-coaching members of the staff are no longer permitted to throw BP. Works with pitchers on technique, but Karen calls the pitches and works with them on the mental aspect of the game.

But I can tell you, without question, that not one single pitcher in the program in the last decade has expressed a lack of confidence with McDaniel or his techniques.

Primary recruiter, first of all. In practice, he throws every pitch of batting practice since non-coaching members of the staff are no longer permitted to throw BP. Works with pitchers on technique, but Karen calls the pitches and works with them on the mental aspect of the game.

But I can tell you, without question, that not one single pitcher in the program in the last decade has expressed a lack of confidence with McDaniel or his techniques.
Thank you! I knew Karen called the pitches. Can the ladies throw BP to the team? One other question, I watch many other NCAA softball games and I still think we have some slap hitters that continue to and have this year step our of the box while slapping. The new rule seemed to hurt us last year and has been a problem for Holcomb already. What are Indias duties as far as hitting?

Reactions: Rixxx
Thank you! I knew Karen called the pitches. Can the ladies throw BP to the team? One other question, I watch many other NCAA softball games and I still think we have some slap hitters that continue to and have this year step our of the box while slapping. The new rule seemed to hurt us last year and has been a problem for Holcomb already. What are Indias duties as far as hitting?

Players can throw BP, but I haven’t heard of that happening at the SEC level.

Holcomb is the only one that’s been called for out of the box. I didn’t get to watch all of the games this weekend, but when I saw it happen against JMU, the commentators didn’t seem to think it was the correct call.

Chiles coaches the slappers and baserunning, although there are only four true slappers on the roster this season (Holcomb, Parsons, Batts, Poindexter) and a couple of other that can slap, but it’s not their primary approach at the plate.

Reactions: ValleyAlVol

VN Store

Back