Tennessee Softball 2023

Why not pitch Pickens a couple of innings yesterday when we had a big lead? Get her some no-pressure NCAA experience,
work out the nerves a little? Seemed like the perfect opportunity, no, as the Vols will likely need her going forward, if only
for innings.

My chief long-term complaint with Weekly is that she does not seem to know how to manage and build confidence in pitchers
who are not going well or struggling a bit. With her it has always seemed: If you're good and pitching well, you pitch; if you're struggling,
you don't pitch, or you pitch less and get the quick hook, which tends to drain confidence. Really good pitchers are easy to manage;
pitchers who are more up and down need smart management.

I know nothing about Indiana, but let's assume from here on in the tourney the competition is increasingly tough, and the stakes higher, and so if she thinks she needs Pickens for an inning, two/three innings, or to get a left-handed hitter out in a tight spot (though this doesn't happen much in softball compared to baseball), you'd be bringing her in more high-pressure situations. That's why, in my view, yesterday was a good opportunity to give her a taste of NCAA tourney action. Or maybe she plans to ride Rogers and Gottshall all the way. That's possible---but I'd still want to take advantage of an opportunity
to give my talented young pitcher some big-tourney innings, as I presume she'll be relied on heavily next year. It will be interesting to see how the coach manages our pitchers as this tourney unfolds.

Reactions: Hoghater
Why not pitch Pickens a couple of innings yesterday when we had a big lead? Get her some no-pressure NCAA experience,
work out the nerves a little? Seemed like the perfect opportunity, no, as the Vols will likely need her going forward, if only
for innings.

My chief long-term complaint with Weekly is that she does not seem to know how to manage and build confidence in pitchers
who are not going well or struggling a bit. With her it has always seemed: If you're good and pitching well, you pitch; if you're struggling,
you don't pitch, or you pitch less and get the quick hook, which tends to drain confidence. Really good pitchers are easy to manage;

I know nothing about Indiana, but let's assume from here on in the tourney the competition is increasingly tough, and the stakes higher, and so if she thinks she needs Pickens for an inning, two/three innings, or to get a left-handed hitter out in a tight spot (though this doesn't happen much in softball compared to baseball), you'd be bringing her in more high-pressure situations. That's why, in my view, yesterday was a good opportunity to give her a taste of NCAA tourney action. Or maybe she plans to ride Rogers and Gottshall all the way. That's possible---but I'd still want to take advantage of an opportunity
to give my talented young pitcher some big-tourney innings, as I presume she'll be relied on heavily next year. It will be interesting to see how the coach manages our pitchers as this tourney unfolds.
Probably the no hitter had something to do with it.

Indiana has a couple of real good hitters. One is a freshman 2b. Ss is really good. Pitcher/3b can hit to. We will give up a homer or two just need to score. Their pitching is maybe above average but not much.

for innings.

The proof is in the pudding, She just pitched in SEC conference play and SEC tournament and we are still fighting for her to pitched in mop up innings for confidence. I have never heard the craziest things. Unfortunately what you guys are wanting to see out of her isn’t going to happen. What you see is what you are going to see the next 3 years. And I think Karen is finally seeing that also. Does the good out way the bad??? To have that gift to be able to throw 70+ plus effortlessly is very special but not to win a high school state championship or a travel ball championship makes me question why not the dominance for this 70+ throwing pitcher. Why wasn’t this 6’ 70+mph thrower not an early commit back in the day? I hope she proves me wrong and I will be the first one to admit it!!!!

The proof is in the pudding, She just pitched in SEC conference play and SEC tournament and we are still fighting for her to pitched in mop up innings for confidence. I have never heard the craziest things. Unfortunately what you guys are wanting to see out of her isn’t going to happen. What you see is what you are going to see the next 3 years. And I think Karen is finally seeing that also. Does the good out way the bad??? To have that gift to be able to throw 70+ plus effortlessly is very special but not to win a high school state championship or a travel ball championship makes me question why not the dominance for this 70+ throwing pitcher. Why wasn’t this 6’ 70+mph thrower not an early commit back in the day? I hope she proves me wrong and I will be the first one to admit it!!!!
Selling Pickens way short. She has hit a rough patch. Remember when Payton was struggling? High school was a smaller school in the mountains she was pretty much the whole team. Travel team I don’t know. She isn’t going too but better hope she doesn’t transfer.

Her past was my concern in not being able to win the big ones. With that said, I think she will be able to work on the things in the off-season and overcome. Hardest year is freshman year and she came out the gate fast and once film was on her coaches had a better scouting report. What she has is god given that 95% of the pitchers don’t have, size and natural speed…just needs to harness it.

Selling Pickens way short. She has hit a rough patch. Remember when Payton was struggling? High school was a smaller school in the mountains she was pretty much the whole team. Travel team I don’t know. She isn’t going too but better hope she doesn’t transfer.
Hit a rough patch of her own doing because she can’t throw strikes. I still think she is going to be a very good pitcher for us in the future.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

VN Store

Back