Tennessee Softball 2023

anecwnrjcns12

I figured since no one started one I'd do it

Schedule: 2023 Softball Schedule - University of Tennessee Athletics

Roster: 2023 Softball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics

17 teams on our schedule made the NCAA tournament last year, 3 of them made the WCWS (Florida, Northwestern, and Texas)

13 new players on the roster, 3 of them are transfers that will more than likely be in the everyday starter conversation.

Haven't been able to see this team in-person, but on paper we are in a good position to have a legitimate shot at making a WCWS again. The biggest question marks are how will the pitching staff pan out as well as how deep the bench is and will they be prepared when the starters are not producing over a certain stretch in time.

17 teams on our schedule made the NCAA tournament last year, 3 of them made the WCWS (Florida, Northwestern, and Texas)

13 new players on the roster, 3 of them are transfers that will more than likely be in the everyday starter conversation.

Haven't been able to see this team in-person, but on paper we are in a good position to have a legitimate shot at making a WCWS again. The biggest question marks are how will the pitching staff pan out as well as how deep the bench is and will they be prepared when the starters are not producing over a certain stretch in time.
Thank you for starting things up for 2023 softball! Hopefully this is the beginning of a run to the WCWS. Lots of things have to come together but I think they have the potential. If Ashley stays healthy and Karlyn, Ryleigh, or Payton step up then I like our chances.

Thank you for starting things up for 2023 softball! Hopefully this is the beginning of a run to the WCWS. Lots of things have to come together but I think they have the potential. If Ashley stays healthy and Karlyn, Ryleigh, or Payton step up then I like our chances.
For sure keeping Ashley healthy, but my biggest concern is the team as a WHOLE healthy. I feel like we are always down 2-4 players with injuries every year.

Practice gets under way next week, most of the players are already back and getting to work! I'm looking forward to seeing how some position battles play out.

I think the depth of the pitching staff will allow Ashley to make the most of her final year. I think she is going to be best when she gets the ball once a weekend and goes all-in on that game.

Though I have basketball duty for much of the first half of the season, UT has committed to broadcasting every game this season, save for the tournament in Mexico. As you may remember, I also had to skip Mexico in 2020, there are some technical issues that prevent us from being able to be sure we could do those games. I don't believe they're ready to release who will be broadcasting the games, but that should come fairly soon. I will do the games as the basketball schedule allows. I have committed to doing the Tennessee Tech/Ole Miss/Austin Peay (in Columbia) stretch that is in the off week between the SEC and NCAA Tournaments.

Nope

Something's been off with our softball program for several years. It's not like we don't have talent,
we do; we just haven't performed in the big spots. I thought things might change last year with just
Karen in charge--the dual coaching setup was very good for a long time but had clearly run its course--but
it was more of the same.

It seems that pitching could be a legitimate strength this season---always vital--but does anyone really have a clue
how good we might be at the plate? Seems a big question mark.

It seems that pitching could be a legitimate strength this season---always vital--but does anyone really have a clue

Valid points. This is the deepest circle in regards to power pitchers we've ever had as a unit. One ball but with Ashley not having to carry the load it should put us in a good spot once SEC starts.

With the season exactly one month away, here are a couple of my thoughts: 1) I think pitching has depth and with a healthy Ashley who can be a consistent second: Karlyn has the ability but just throwing 70 at this level just doesn’t cut it, can she locate, change speeds , etc and become an elite pitcher, Ryleigh is the most improved but can she be consistent inning to inning and game to game, Payton is the most seasoned, not that I’m expecting anything near Erin’s fantastic season but can she come in and win 10-12 games for us? 2) hopefully not a concern but can Mackenzie replace Ivy. Ivy was an absolute vacuum cleaner with a very high softball IQ, Mackenzie has the IQ, can she make the plays and throws? and 3) will we have timely hitting, on paper we look to have the bats. If these three things pan out, we will be very good.

Something's been off with our softball program for several years. It's not like we don't have talent,
we do; we just haven't performed in the big spots. I thought things might change last year with just
Karen in charge--the dual coaching setup was very good for a long time but had clearly run its course--but
it was more of the same.

Kiki Milloy is a pretty good start, she was truly outstanding last year at the plate and turns a single, walk, or hbp into a double almost every time she gets on base. She’s everything you could want in a softball player and will be truly missed.
More consistency from Zaida, M. Gibson could add a big boost to this lineup.(less k’s)
Rylie West, Lair(if healthy), Donnihoo- I feel these 3 could be a threat on any given day, but again back to the consistency factor.
- based on the fall, I think it’s very hard to keep Taylor Pannell out of the batting lineup, she could be very good for us. Hard to gauge with freshman.
That’s only 7, 2 are going to have to step up.
The talent is there, as I think talent has never been an issue with this program.
Ready for the season, a run to the WCWS is always the goal, and should be a driving force for our seniors like Kiki and Ashley

Pitching depth is a big key. 2 years ago we couldn’t get through midweek without Ashley. Payton, White, and Pickens should be able to win the vast majority of those games. Give White and others some room to breathe. Grace goes a long way to building confidence especially in early games.

Pitching depth is a big key. 2 years ago we couldn’t get through midweek without Ashley. Payton, White, and Pickens should be able to win the vast majority of those games. Give White and others some room to breathe. Grace goes a long way to building confidence especially in early games.
Yes! I have been following the LVs softball since they played in shorts! My old head cant remember when we have had the good depth in the circle as this year. No reason not to make the big dance if the defense and offense hold up as i think they will!!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Haven't been paying close attention to softball how does Gottshall fit into the pitching. I see she had a 1.77 as a mid-major pitcher which means may not do as well against the SEC. She is on the team and has played a few seasons. Think she has two left to play.

Haven't been paying close attention to softball how does Gottshall fit into the pitching. I see she had a 1.77 as a mid-major pitcher which means may not do as well against the SEC. She is on the team and has played a few seasons. Think she has two left to play.

A strong addition in regards to helping Ashley. Probably looking at the #2 and wouldn't be surprised for her to have more total innings than Ashley. D1 Softball has her ranked in the Top 100 at#72.

Especially with the current and forthcoming TV contracts the schools are more than capable of funding the scholarships.

To quote Karen and I’ve said it before….”I got players on the bench with a lot of money, and I got starters with very little money”

If they can find 85 for football they can find the resources to make all sports. Make it 20 for softball and 30 for baseball. And that includes the low D1 non power 5.

VN Store

Back