Tennessee Softball 2023

Twice this fall Karen started Charli and she pitched to exactly 9 batters and then Payton or Karlyn came in. Once she had two outs and none on in the 3rd but came out anyway. Maybe Karen is getting them used to this usage. A drop ball pitcher once thru the lineup then a change. She could chew up a couple of innings here and there like that.

Shot in the dark anyone know if there is a pitcher out there that might be graduating this semester and could come in as a transfer? Don’t know if that ever happens much or not.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Twice this fall Karen started Charli and she pitched to exactly 9 batters and then Payton or Karlyn came in. Once she had two outs and none on in the 3rd but came out anyway. Maybe Karen is getting them used to this usage. A drop ball pitcher once thru the lineup then a change. She could chew up a couple of innings here and there like that.
I struggle with that concept. Yes it can keep the batters out of rhythm but it can also hurt in recruiting Ace pitchers. Stud pitchers want to pitch the game or majority of it.

I struggle with that concept. Yes it can keep the batters out of rhythm but it can also hurt in recruiting Ace pitchers. Stud pitchers want to pitch the game or majority of it.
I disagree with this statement a little bit, i understand where you are coming from and that is valid, but we are in the age where the term “ace” isn’t what it used to mean anymore. Yes can ace pitchers pitch a complete game a couple times here and there of course, but at the end of day in order to win it comes down to which team makes the adjustments quicker and scores more runs than their opponents so being able to mix up the look opposing batters see I think is a good thing. Honestly this season I am preparing myself to see a majority of our games having all 4 pitchers in the circle. Will it be exhausting and nervous for fans? Yes but that is what it is looking like for us.

I disagree with this statement a little bit, i understand where you are coming from and that is valid, but we are in the age where the term “ace” isn’t what it used to mean anymore. Yes can ace pitchers pitch a complete game a couple times here and there of course, but at the end of day in order to win it comes down to which team makes the adjustments quicker and scores more runs than their opponents so being able to mix up the look opposing batters see I think is a good thing. Honestly this season I am preparing myself to see a majority of our games having all 4 pitchers in the circle. Will it be exhausting and nervous for fans? Yes but that is what it is looking like for us.
The showcase model will be more and more for teams carrying maybe not a true ace (Abbott, Bahl, Barnhill etc) but a 1B, 2-4. I remember when Marty got to Georgia Tech he had more than enough to pitch one an inning and joked he could do the showcase model of an inning each.

Shot in the dark anyone know if there is a pitcher out there that might be graduating this semester and could come in as a transfer? Don’t know if that ever happens much or not.
I don’t think anybody that would be transferring in December would be anyone you would want to count on to bolster your staff.

I suppose you could have someone that didn’t mesh with a new coaching staff after the fall, but I struggle to think of a situation where someone good enough to pitch here would want to leave where they are, particularly when all the scholarship money is allocated.

Seems a rather dumb way to manage a pitcher, IMO--but a good way to ruin a pitcher's confidence. Why wouldn't you let her keep pitching to how she gets on going 3, 4, 5 innings? You'd have more to gain than lose, no? And it's a fall game...I don't know of too many starting pitchers in softball or baseball who are OK with starting a game but getting yanked after two/three innings--regardless of how they're pitching

Seems a rather dumb way to manage a pitcher, IMO--but a good way to ruin a pitcher's confidence. Why wouldn't you let her keep pitching to how she gets on going 3, 4, 5 innings? You'd have more to gain than lose, no? And it's a fall game...I don't know of too many starting pitchers in softball or baseball who are OK with starting a game but getting yanked after two/three innings--regardless of how they're pitching
it’s all about having conversations with all the pitchers about what a plan is pregame even before a weekend starts.

Usually if a pitcher has 2 outs and none on in the 3rd and has only given up one hit and hasn’t been hit hard,you let’em go. I agree fall is the time to test her limits. But they may have told her she’s going through the lineup once? I like the concept of showing different looks in a game but each game will determine when the change will be. Charli has to first demonstrate she can get quality SEC hitters out before she chews innings. If she can, then great for us!

We have the exact same hitters with the addition of 5 good players plus Taylor back from injury. Offense should not be our issue.

I think most of us feel it comes down to the 4 we’ve got in the circle, how ever they’re used. Any way you slice it Ashley had 20 wins. Payton (16) and Karlyn (9) and the others have to somehow collectively pick up those wins for us to have similar success.

Last edited:

I guess Taelyn will be hoping to win the centerfield job after Kiki is gone.
There will be some real competion for outfield spots with the Leach girls as well. How we hit will be the whole ballgame in my thoughts.

Last edited:
That rather hurts...
Kiki’s older sister played for Washington. All three will have played for different schools and the youngest that is still in high school will probably follow her own path as well. Lawyer was big on Kiki forging her own path during her recruiting process, I imagine he is telling his other daughters the same. It’s not a reflection on her experience here, certainly. There’s no better sales person for Tennessee than Kiki is.

VN Store

Back