Tennessee Softball 2023

While I’m optimistic about our pitching and hitting potential. The D most likely is going to be a work in progress. Dez and Taylor playing new positions and they’re learning. Gonna have to be patient with them. I think they’re trying to figure the best OF corner for Taylor, have seen her in LF and RF. Mackenzie can get to balls just not sure about the arm yet. Wanna see her in early games, I think she’ll be fine. Don’t know Giulia’s defensive background but don’t see many leftie catchers. She is quick as a cat though. Others have said it….don’t hit and you’ll sit. We just have to make the routine plays on D. Spectacular plays will be gravy. I think Kiki and Zaida are our most talented defensive players. Sunday should be a fun day as it’s only 5 days from the start.

Was in the vicinity today so I swung by and watched an hour of practice. Defense was practicing throws with ROB. Interesting positions for today, Giulia caught the entire period, Rylie in RF, Lair and Dez at 2B and Taylor in LF and went to 3B when Zaida ran. Play of the day was Dez snagging a line shot up the middle and tossing back to double up a runner on second. To me the message is clear, if you can hit Karen will find you a position, she is going to write in 9 girls that can swing the bat. These observations today ONLY.

I hope this is the approach.

The inability to hit in the clutch derailed last season more than anything IMO. Oklahoma has shown that the days of small ball in college softball are numbered. Bring on the mashers.

I hope this is the approach.

The inability to hit in the clutch derailed last season more than anything IMO. Oklahoma has shown that the days of small ball in college softball are numbered. Bring on the mashers.
We couldn't hit a lick there at the end of the season. Was very strange to see.

Anyone watch the scrimmage today?
It was more like practice. The starters fielded against 6/7 batters with Ryleigh, Nicola, and Charli tossing. Lair in walking boot and Gracie and Rylie in sweats didn’t play. They pitched well against the 6: Amanda, Brylee, Jami, Jenna, Jackie, and Camryn. Then Karen started switching things up bringing some starters in to hit. Once the starters batted we started scoring runs, even off Ash, Payton, and Karlyn. McKenna, Zaida (off Ash), Mackenzie, and Guilia (off Ryleigh) all homered. Des made the play of the day snagging a liner to her right and tossing to Mackenzie for a DP. Taylor caught a liner in RF but it was an adventure. She will need our patience. Kinda forgot what a good hitter Mackenzie is as I’ve been more worried about replacing Ivy’s glove. Brylee threw 2 girls out (1 called out, the other out but called safe), hadn’t seen that arm in her before. We scored a bunch of runs but Karen was putting runners on base to work on situational defense so runs weren’t all on our pitchers. Overall good practice. As with all sports I know they’ll be glad to see opponents other than themselves Friday. If we sync all 3 components P-O- and D, we have the talent to be very good. IMHO It all starts in the circle though.

It was more like practice. The starters fielded against 6/7 batters with Ryleigh, Nicola, and Charli tossing. Lair in walking boot and Gracie and Rylie in sweats didn’t play. They pitched well against the 6: Amanda, Brylee, Jami, Jenna, Jackie, and Camryn. Then Karen started switching things up bringing some starters in to hit. Once the starters batted we started scoring runs, even off Ash, Payton, and Karlyn. McKenna, Zaida (off Ash), Mackenzie, and Guilia (off Ryleigh) all homered. Des made the play of the day snagging a liner to her right and tossing to Mackenzie for a DP. Taylor caught a liner in RF but it was an adventure. She will need our patience. Kinda forgot what a good hitter Mackenzie is as I’ve been more worried about replacing Ivy’s glove. Brylee threw 2 girls out (1 called out, the other out but called safe), hadn’t seen that arm in her before. We scored a bunch of runs but Karen was putting runners on base to work on situational defense so runs weren’t all on our pitchers. Overall good practice. As with all sports I know they’ll be glad to see opponents other than themselves Friday. If we sync all 3 components P-O- and D, we have the talent to be very good. IMHO It all starts in the circle though.
Mesusan has a chance to play early in the OF. Has all the tools as a hitter/slapper as a lead off for many years and is strong in the OF - plays it naturally and is not a converted player.

Looks like all will be on the GAMECHANGER APP. Don't know if all will include video feed (likely one camera only) but should have live game stats and plays at the very least.
GameChanger
If there is video you will probably have to cast to your tv from your phone or ipad etc. from the Gamechanger app.

I looked at the NFCA site today and they've updated the tournament page with live video links for every game NFCA | National Fastpitch Coaches Association

We will also have Vol Network coverage of every game this season, with the exception of the Mexico tournament, streaming on the Tennessee Athletics app, with games beginning with the start of SEC play also on AM 990 in Knoxville.

Andy Brock will have the games this weekend, Vince Ferrara will have the USF tournament, and then we will piece it together until my basketball duties have concluded and I will take it the rest of the way.

It’s going to be weird for there to be a softball game played that I’m not broadcasting, but I know Andy will do a great job this weekend. Links are up at utsports.com and in the Tennessee Athletics app right now.

Hi all. Popping back in and hope to be a part of some more softball conversations this year. I sat out most of last year until the end of season coaching discussions, but I have been an avid follower and supporter for the last 15 years. I don't follow the recruiting and predictions much anymore, so genuinely interested in knowing what the consensus is for this year. Are we expected to compete for SEC and national titles, or is our talent, depth, etc., on pace for a repeat of last year?

Reactions: 87&91ALUM
Greatly appreciate Vol Nation and love our Vols. I see the tourney this week is on "Gamechanger" app? I also read UT has a link. 1) Is there anyway to get the games on my TV/Xfinity with ESPN+? 2) Which is the best way to find the games on my PC? Vol link provided? I agree that pitching is HUGE in softball and it seemed last year to be our Achilles heal. How many Lady Vols can consistently hit/homer/get on base? Again, thank you! Hope to read and type at you starting 5:30 pm (CT) on Vol Nation Lady Vols Softball Tennessee VS Howard thread.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
This season is going to tell us a lot about Karen’s ability to run the program on her own.

Yes it will. Let’s see if she can make it out of own regional this year. 0-2 last 2 years and the year before that saved by Covid!

Greatly appreciate Vol Nation and love our Vols. I see the tourney this week is on "Gamechanger" app? I also read UT has a link. 1) Is there anyway to get the games on my TV/Xfinity with ESPN+? 2) Which is the best way to find the games on my PC? Vol link provided? I agree that pitching is HUGE in softball and it seemed last year to be our Achilles heal. How many Lady Vols can consistently hit/homer/get on base? Again, thank you! Hope to read and type at you starting 5:30 pm (CT) on Vol Nation Lady Vols Softball Tennessee VS Howard thread.
I just tested it out and if you click on the link for the game it goes right to it-- you don't have to use the app.

watched UGA today --- their bats are very strong (Kearney hit 3 HR vs. Ohio St.), but their pitching is average (that's a 2-game analysis :rolleyes:) -- can get a look at LSU tonight on sec+

If you have a ipad or tablet or phone even you can pull it up on them and cast to your big TV.

Reactions: volinjax

VN Store

Back