Tennessee Softball 2023

how as an umpire do you not keep track of outs? that’s horrible.

Several people brought this to my attention on Twitter and that's not what happened. On the pitch that Dunn sent to the wall in CF, an illegal pitch was called. So she came back to the plate and continued her at-bat. It was a 1-0 count, the illegal pitch made it 2-0. She fouled off the next pitch and again flied out to CF on the fourth pitch of the at-bat.

I was doing my own broadcast, so I didn't realize until I went back today that the TV crew missed that sequence. It was not immediately apparent to the press box what had been called, but the umpire held out his arm again when he signaled the count prior to the 2-0 pitch. The next batter, Henderson wears #32, where Dunn is #33. So I can see how they saw part of the jersey number and incorrectly assumed the next player was up. But the only people in the stadium confused were the TV crew, which is unfortunate because they are the portal through which most are viewing the game. Having done TV myself, I can see how it happens, because the control room doesn't see the ump come in with the signal, so they change the outs on the score bug sandpit up the stats for the next batter.

I can assure you that the umpires, the scoreboard operator, the official scorer and a person in both dugouts are keeping a book and any of them can stop the game if there is a dispute about the count or the outs displayed.

Bad night by White….might be hard to get out of the Karen doghouse

Not accurate to say that anyone is in a "doghouse." Tennessee has three #1-caliber pitchers on its roster, perhaps the deepest staff in recent memory in the entire conference. Karen spoke on our show on Monday about scheduling fewer midweek games this year so the team could practice and be fresh for weekend series. With the rash of injuries and load management that is being done, it turns out that was a great strategy. The unfortunate side effect of that is there are limited innings available for pitchers past AR, PG and KP this time of year. I obviously haven't been around for every game, but I do know that the entire pitching staff was well aware of the situation and the layout of the season.

I guess it's not a big thing to some people, but I think the words used are important when you're talking about team roles. And there's not a player on the roster that's in a "doghouse" for on-field or off-field performance.

Not accurate to say that anyone is in a "doghouse." Tennessee has three #1-caliber pitchers on its roster, perhaps the deepest staff in recent memory in the entire conference. Karen spoke on our show on Monday about scheduling fewer midweek games this year so the team could practice and be fresh for weekend series. With the rash of injuries and load management that is being done, it turns out that was a great strategy. The unfortunate side effect of that is there are limited innings available for pitchers past AR, PG and KP this time of year. I obviously haven't been around for every game, but I do know that the entire pitching staff was well aware of the situation and the layout of the season.

I guess it's not a big thing to some people, but I think the words used are important when you're talking about team roles. And there's not a player on the roster that's in a "doghouse" for on-field or off-field performance.
Probably the wrong term. More of not a good night. If she’s trying to get more innings down the road with as you stated the deep roster ahead of her and Charli pitching well. Innings are at premium for the 4-6 as the season is well in play.

Last edited:
Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Just got home some more on site observations: Brylee Mesusan I have no idea if she can hit long term but she is fastest to first I've seen in a long while for UT. Boo's homers were long an mostly into the wind. Gotshall looked ok til she got the runs on and Karen came out. All of a sudden she went on the attack, her speed jumped and as Forest Gump would say "and that was that." Rylie was catching the bats too much. She seems to do better with steady work. Simpson seemed to have more pop though a very limited sample size. Destiny looks likes hitter, has a history of being a hitter but has not got going yet. I think a lot of it was ETSU related but really good crowd for midweek.
Destiny not hitting is puzzling. She’s a hitter that’s not hitting. With the way things have played out this year, I’m surprised she hasn’t locked up the DP role at this point when not playing 2B.

Several people brought this to my attention on Twitter and that's not what happened. On the pitch that Dunn sent to the wall in CF, an illegal pitch was called. So she came back to the plate and continued her at-bat. It was a 1-0 count, the illegal pitch made it 2-0. She fouled off the next pitch and again flied out to CF on the fourth pitch of the at-bat.

I was doing my own broadcast, so I didn't realize until I went back today that the TV crew missed that sequence. It was not immediately apparent to the press box what had been called, but the umpire held out his arm again when he signaled the count prior to the 2-0 pitch. The next batter, Henderson wears #32, where Dunn is #33. So I can see how they saw part of the jersey number and incorrectly assumed the next player was up. But the only people in the stadium confused were the TV crew, which is unfortunate because they are the portal through which most are viewing the game. Having done TV myself, I can see how it happens, because the control room doesn't see the ump come in with the signal, so they change the outs on the score bug sandpit up the stats for the next batter.

I can assure you that the umpires, the scoreboard operator, the official scorer and a person in both dugouts are keeping a book and any of them can stop the game if there is a dispute about the count or the outs displayed.
#33 hit twice both times she hit it to cf.
On the 5th inning fiasco. never did see why?

I posted this yesterday, I guess nobody understood it. I have aphasia and I tend to leave out key words sometimes.

Thanks for the excellent explanation, Brian! My wife and I were totally befuddled watching the game, thinking we've never seen an inning go to 4 outs. I went back and watched the replay of that part of the game on ESPN and see that the announcers missed it, because at that time, their topic had wandered off the game, and they obviously weren't paying close attention. I get annoyed when announcers do that, as it's very distracting when trying to follow a game. In baseball, there's a lot of down time, so it's somewhat understandable. It drives me crazy when watching a basketball game. Some announcers, such as Dave Hart and Dane Bradshaw, are excellent announcers, but at some point during the game, they start talking about everything that's going on EXCEPT what's going on in the game ! When they are announcing together, they seem to feed on each other and talk about stupid things like where they're going to eat after the game.

Looks like basically same starters with Katie In RF. I have always liked her but she has been disappointing lately in all phases of game, but the one that counts Karen likes her as well and sees her in practice where we dont!

Looks like basically same starters with Katie In RF. I have always liked her but she has been disappointing lately in all phases of game, but the one that counts Karen likes her as well and sees her in practice where we dont!
i think it’s more so that since taylor is out for the year, katie has to start there. personally, id try someone else for the bat.

Reactions: kregman
She hit a nice homerun at LSU, 0-0 at the time. I think?

VN Store

Back