⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

Yikes: I hope Rain doesn't need surgery for her torn ligament. She was huge this year but arguably played too many minutes
at a very physically demanding position, especially for a freshman. I'll be curious to see if her ankles are healthy enough for her
to play in the spring. I'm guess she won't play much, if at all. Needless to say, the Vols will need her fit and ready to go next season.

Claire Rain posted that she was playing with a hurt ankle an was waiting to get an MRI after the season was over.
The MRI showed 1 torn ligament, 2 sprained ligaments and a fractured bone.

Talk about tough you knew she was not herself but goodness. I suspect George had a hamstring injury she was playing with.

Final Season Rankings

32548A3C-D00A-49BA-98DC-D084F4102F43.jpeg

Also receiving votes: Stanford (21), Texas (17), Wisconsin (14), Clemson (13), Auburn (11), St. John's (10), Brown (10), South Florida (10), Princeton (8), Samford (8), Alabama (6), Virginia Tech (5), Milwaukee (4), Hofstra (4)

Big news from the new NWSL expansion team “Angel City FC

Mary Alice “MA” Vignola is ACFC’s second official player signing!

View attachment 418124

View attachment 418125

Dec 06, 2021
LOS ANGELES (December 6, 2021) - Angel City Football Club (ACFC) is pleased to announce the signing of defender Mary Alice (MA) Vignola to the team’s official roster. The signing, a two-year contract with an option for an additional year, comes after a trade deal was made with the Washington Spirit. In exchange, the Spirit receives $30,000 allocation money and allocated player protection in the 2022 NWSL Expansion Draft.
“Mary Alice is an exciting young player that we are delighted to welcome to Angel City,” said ACFC Sporting Director Eni Aluko. “Her athleticism and versatility as a defender is important to what we are building in our defensive unit with her ability to also have freedom in our attack. Her vibrant personality will also be positive for our team culture.”
Vignola joins ACFC following the announcement of USWNT star Christen Press in August. A standout at the University of Tennessee, Vignola started for the Volunteers from 2016-2019. In her junior and senior years (2018 and 2019) she was named to the All-SEC and United Coaches All-Region teams. Vignola comes to ACFC after playing internationally in Iceland for Thróttur Reykjavík (2020) and Valur (2021).
“It has been a dream of mine to play in the NWSL and I am beyond excited to get started in LA,” said Vignola. “Growing up watching players such as Abby Wambach, Christen Press, and Mia Hamm, I aspired to be like them. Now I get the chance to improve my game playing with them and for them. Having the opportunity to join this club that has already made such a difference in the community and building a family is something to be excited for. I can’t wait to get the season started.”

This transaction precedes the roster-building milestones of the 2022 NWSL Expansion Draft on December 16 and the 2022 NWSL Draft on December 18 and comes on the heels of ACFC acquiring the playing rights of USWNT star Julie Ertz and 2021 NWSL Defender of the Year nominee Sarah Gorden.

Guess who got a new teammate?
I think this just became my new favorite pro team
Angel City Football Club Signs Rising Midfielder Katie Cousins8210F80C-F596-431D-B6B1-47681FD21E85.jpeg
Dec 09, 2021
LOS ANGELES (December 9, 2021) - Angel City Football Club (ACFC)today announced the signing of midfielder Katie Cousins, who joins the team from Thróttur Reykjavík of the Icelandic Úrvalsdeild Women's League. Cousins is the former teammate of recently-signed Angel City prospect MA Vignola in both Iceland and at the University of Tennessee (2016-2019). The signing is a two-year contract with an option for an additional year.
“Katie is a smart player who is very tidy on the ball,” said ACFC Coach Freya Coombe. “She is able to link the midfield with the forwards with her clever passing and deft touches. She has great vision and will be a fantastic addition to ACFC!”
Cousins played in 74 matches throughout four seasons at Tennessee, notching 72 starts, seven goals, 13 assists, and 27 points as the primary holding midfielder. Cousins is one of three Tennessee players to be recognized as a two-time All-American and back-to-back third-team honors from the United Soccer Coaches in 2017 and 2018.
“Katie is just different. It’s as clear as day the moment you watch her play,” said University of Tennessee Head Coach Brian Pensky. “Her technique and vision have always been her trademark. She sees and connects the most difficult of passes. Angel City is getting two amazing players and people in Cousins and Vignola. They are two of the best to ever wear the orange and white at The University of Tennessee,” continued Pensky. “We first saw both of these women when they were young girls in eighth grade, and the chase for them to come to Tennessee was on. Congrats to them, and congrats to Angel City.”
Today’s news precedes Angel City’s roster-building milestones of the 2022 NWSL Expansion Draft on December 16 and the 2022 NWSL Draft on December 18.

Man, Angel City just got another jewel! Katie has been overlooked and undervalued for a long time, except for us orange clad folks who know her, and she'll be a major plus for the Vols West! :)

Reactions: Volfaninfl2 and MAD
Man, Angel City just got another jewel! Katie has been overlooked and undervalued for a long time, except for us orange clad folks who know her, and she'll be a major plus for the Vols West! :)
I wonder if Candace Parker being one of the owners of Angel City influenced choosing Ma Vignola and Katie Cousins?

I wonder if Candace Parker being one of the owners of Angel City influenced choosing Ma Vignola and Katie Cousins?

I doubt Parker knows much about soccer....but who knows? Did not expect this signing, but happy for Cousins. Crazy to think that two former Vols are the 2nd and 3rd signings for LA, after longtime star Christine Press. I'll have to start watching NWSL games again--and hope Katie and M.A. ball out!

Reactions: StrangeVol and MAD
After reading your post I was curious where the top players in the wold are playing and found this neat little article from the Guardian. It’s from last year, and the current year is being released slowly each day. You can break it down so many different ways, by nationality, league or position.

This is for 2020, I’ll post 2021 when it’s finished.

The 100 best female footballers in the world 2020

Explains how they voted.
How the Guardian ranked the 100 best female footballers in the world 2021

I said I would post 2021 when it came out, here it is.

The 100 best female footballers in the world 2021

Teammates once again.

Angel City FC Signs VFLs Cousins and Vignola

A4F9E736-86F1-46E2-AAD1-4C674182E498.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Two VFLs are set to reunite on the pitch in Los Angeles as Angel City Football Club announced the signing of Katie Cousins and MA Vignola this week.

The pair played together for three seasons at UT from 2017-2019, compiling a record of 40-13-8 over that time and making the NCAA Tournament twice, advancing to the NCAA Quarterfinals in 2018.

Angel City FC is a newly formed expansion team in the National Women's Soccer League that was announced in July of 2020 and will begin competing during the upcoming NWSL season. The team was founded by a majority-female ownership group led by actress Natalie Portman and includes notable investors from the sports world such as Mia Hamm, Serena Williams, Candace Parker, and Abby Wambach along with a host of former U.S. Women's National Team members.

"Angel City is getting two amazing players and people in Cousins and Vignola," said Tennessee head coach Brian Pensky. "They are two of the best to ever wear the orange and white at the University of Tennessee. We first saw both of these women when they were young girls in eighth grade, and the chase for them to come to Tennessee was on. Congrats to them, and congrats to Angel City."

Vignola signed a two-year contract with an option for an additional year after a trade deal was made with the Washington Spirit. She has been playing internationally in Iceland for two seasons, suiting up for Thróttur Reykjavík in 2020 and Valur in 2021.

Cousins also signed a two-year contract with an option for a third-year extension and heads to L.A. after a successful 2021 season for Thróttur Reykjavík in the Icelandic Úrvalsdeild Women's League.

Cousins, a midfielder from Forest, Va., finished her career on Rocky Top having started 72 matches, playing a total of 5,607 minutes while accumulating 27 points on seven goals and 13 assists. She was named to the United Soccer Coaches All-America third team in back-to-back seasons in 2017 and 2018 and earned All-SEC honors all four years. She was also a member of U.S. U-20 Women's National Team that competed in the 2016 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Vignola, a defender who hails from Cincinatti Ohio, was a four-year starter for the Vols, earning United Soccer Coaches All-Region and All-SEC accolades in 2018 and 2019. During her time at Tennessee, she appeared in 76 matches and tallied 17 goals and 13 assists.

The upcoming season will mark the 10th season of the NWSL.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back