⚽️ LADY VOLS SOCCER

I watched this all-star game four years ago, I thiink, and it became another lesson in the perils of following recruiting too closely. BOTH starting forwards on one of the teams were Vol soccer signees--Alicia Donley and Colleen McIlvenna, both out of Ohio, probably four-star recruits, both tall and athletic. Not only did they both start, but they scored three goals between them for the winning team in the game. I thought, wow, we've got two good ones here. Well, Donley played a fair amount at forward a freshman, looked promising, and I think had the 3rd or 4th most shots on the team, and even scored a couple of goals, as I recall. McIlvenna didn't play much at all, which I found a bit curious for someone who has both size and speed.

As sophs, Donley again got a decent amount of minutes as a substitute forward, again had a number of shots--and had, as I recall, the 2nd highest SOG percentage on the team--meaning that she got her shots on net as opposed to hitting the ball 10 feet over the crossbar. However, about halfway through the season, Pensky moved Donley to more of a wing/midfield position--and it was easy to see that the move did not suit Donley: she seemed lost in the midfield and, to me, seemed a bit too tall for a midfield position requiring a lot of quick-twitch agility. As a result of playing farther back on the pitch, her shot production fell off. Meanwhile, McIlvenna again spent most of her time on the bench.

The following season, both were gone, having decided to transfer. Donley now plays for the University of Dayton. She played in almost every game, started 7/8 games and scored 5 goals for a good Dayton team, which came in 2nd in the Atlantic 10 conference and I think came close to making the NCAA tourney. McIlvenna transferred to Holy Cross, which seems an unfortunate decision as Holly Cross was terrible last year. The Crusaders did not win a game. McIlvenna started nearly every game and was the team's second leading point scorer, which isn't saying a lot: She had 2 goals and 3 assists. She surely dropped down in class too much by going to Holy Cross and, if she is really serious about her soccer career, might consider transferring again, as she could start for a lot of teams better than Holy Cross. But these two players are examples of how unpredictable--and, in a lot of cases, disappointing, college careers can be after players who seem to have good promise sign their scholarship papers and actually get on the field. The level of play is higher, there is competition for starting spots, you might be asked by the coach to play a position that you've never played before, etc. Let's hope things work out better for our two participants in this year's game! My sense is that Reisz is going to be a very good keeper. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: MAD
I watched this all-star game four years ago, I thiink, and it became another lesson in the perils of following recruiting too closely. BOTH starting forwards on one of the teams were Vol soccer signees--Alicia Donley and Colleen McIlvenna, both out of Ohio, probably four-star recruits, both tall and athletic. Not only did they both start, but they scored three goals between them for the winning team in the game. I thought, wow, we've got two good ones here. Well, Donley played a fair amount at forward a freshman, looked promising, and I think had the 3rd or 4th most shots on the team, and even scored a couple of goals, as I recall. McIlvenna didn't play much at all, which I found a bit curious for someone who has both size and speed.

As sophs, Donley again got a decent amount of minutes as a substitute forward, again had a number of shots--and had, as I recall, the 2nd highest SOG percentage on the team--meaning that she got her shots on net as opposed to hitting the ball 10 feet over the crossbar. However, about halfway through the season, Pensky moved Donley to more of a wing/midfield position--and it was easy to see that the move did not suit Donley: she seemed lost in the midfield and, to me, seemed a bit too tall for a midfield position requiring a lot of quick-twitch agility. As a result of playing farther back on the pitch, her shot production fell off. Meanwhile, McIlvenna again spent most of her time on the bench.

The following season, both were gone, having decided to transfer. Donley now plays for the University of Dayton. She played in almost every game, started 7/8 games and scored 5 goals for a good Dayton team, which came in 2nd in the Atlantic 10 conference and I think came close to making the NCAA tourney. McIlvenna transferred to Holy Cross, which seems an unfortunate decision as Holly Cross was terrible last year. The Crusaders did not win a game. McIlvenna started nearly every game and was the team's second leading point scorer, which isn't saying a lot: She had 2 goals and 3 assists. She surely dropped down in class too much by going to Holy Cross and, if she is really serious about her soccer career, might consider transferring again, as she could start for a lot of teams better than Holy Cross. But these two players are examples of how unpredictable--and, in a lot of cases, disappointing, college careers can be after players who seem to have good promise sign their scholarship papers and actually get on the field. The level of play is higher, there is competition for starting spots, you might be asked by the coach to play a position that you've never played before, etc. Let's hope things work out better for our two participants in this year's game! My sense is that Reisz is going to be a very good keeper. Fingers crossed!
It will be interesting to see their journeys, hope they both do well at UT.

I found it interesting that Pensky was the coach of the year at Maryland before coming to Tennessee. His assistant coach took over Maryland for a few years and ended up joining Pensky’s staff at UT. The guy that took over Maryland from those two was just let go for going the whole season without a win. Looks like they are on the search for a new coach yet again.

I don’t see any Tennessee players in the upcoming NWSL Draft.

National Women's Soccer League Official Site | NWSL

Yea: I guess we had four or five players who /could/ have registered for the draft--Wilson, French, Tillett, Ostrom and Gabor. Of that group, who has pro potential? It's hard to say--maybe Wilson ( a very good scorer but a bit hampered by the ACL injury she suffered the year before last), French (good college career but to me she isn't talented enough for the pros) and Gabor (the backup keeper whom I thought came in for a game or so and did a good job and looked more confident, really, than Romig does at times). Possibily Tillett as well--solid if unspectacular player who lost her starting job this year to Fusco but played well as a sub.

It's very hard for college players to get on a pro roster unless they're very talented. A few years ago Florida had a forward who was one of college soccer's all-time goal scorers. She got drafted and made a roster--but while she was a talented poacher in college, she didn't have the athleticism, pace or size to be a pro forward; didn't start for her NWSL team and her pro career was short.

I read today that 181 players registered for the draft this year--but only 40 will be drafted. Of that 40, I'd predict that half or fewer will make a roster and sign a contract. For starters, there simply aren't that many roster spots available on the league's 11/12 teams, as all but the two expansion clubs have a bunch of returning players---players already under contract already--and beyond that there will be a LOT of out-of-contract players with pro experience looking to make the roster of another NWSL team. So opportunities for the 181 will be few. Some will sign with overseas teams, as three Vols did with team in Iceland. But unless you sign with a big European club, the pay and working conditions at a lot of smaller bottom-of-table teams in Germany, Sweden, Iceland, Netherlands, England are not very good. For many it will depend on how committed they are to pursuing a pro career. Most will decide to move on with their lives because pro opportunities are limited. Shae Yanez--our excellent keeper for four years who was on the super 2018 team--is the starting keeper for the London City Lionesses, which is a second-division club in England, a level below the WSL. She's good and very committed to a pro career, but I doubt she's making much money and it's hard to know if she'll ever get a contract with a senior league club. (Her one question mark is that she doesn't quite have the height that top clubs expect in keepers).

I was surprised that a couple of years ago Cousins didn't register for the NWSL draft. I never heard a reason, and she didn't play soccer for a season, which was odd. And then after sitting out a year, she signed with a club in Iceland and is now with LA. So it worked out for her, so far. It will be very interesting to see show she does in the NWSL. We hope well! And Vignola, too, of course.

Reactions: StrangeVol and MAD
Three Vols Earn Top Drawer Soccer Postseason Honors

93CFBD73-BC83-42E6-9FAD-D54550B6B001.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Senior Wrenne French and freshmen Taylor Huff and Jordan Fusco were each named to postseason Best XI teams by TopDrawerSoccer.com.

French earned second-team Best XI honors while Huff and Fusco took Freshman Best XI first- and second-team accolades, respectively.

French, a fifth-year senior from Franklin, Tenn., anchored a UT back line that opened the season with seven straight shutouts to set a new single-season shutout record of 633:53 en route to a program-best 13 shutouts on the season. She was second on the team in minutes played with 1,862 on the year, and she scored two goals, including the game-winner in the SEC Championship match. Having received her bachelor's degree earlier this month, she concluded her career at UT with four goals and four assists, playing a total of 6,921 minutes while appearing in 82 matches and starting in 76 of those.

Huff, the reigning SEC Freshman of the Year, finished her rookie campaign with 10 goals and five assists, ranking second on the team in total points and goals scored. She started 22 of 23 games during the 2021 campaign, scoring nine of her 10 goals in the second half with four of those coming in the 85th minute or later, including a goal from 22 yards out to force the game into overtime against #11 Auburn and the game-winner in the 89th minute at #19 South Carolina.

Entering the starting lineup eight games into the season, Fusco appeared in all 23 games, playing 1,317 minutes and making 15 starts. On the year, she logged five assists and four goals, knocking in the game-winner on two occasions and logging an assist on Brooke Wilson's goal against No. 11 Auburn in double-overtime to give UT its first of five wins over ranked opponents this season.

Any speculation where they move the SEC tournament?
i like to see more yellow cards or double plan fouls for taking down a player with no attamp to strik the ball it would cut down on knee and other injurys good for soccer and most important girls bodies we all only get one. and both teams score more . more fun to watch soccer already has off sides to slow scoring you can take ball away without slinding and taking offence player out while not going for ball but the player.. football put rulles in to make football less rougher soccer could to.

RE the next tourney location: I wonder how many places in the Southeast have a first-rate soccer complex
that wouldn't be giving any of the teams an obvious home-field advantage? I'd guess somewhere in Florida or maybe the suburbs
of one of the bigger cities in the region--Atlanta, Nashville, maybe Louisville. Ideally, if they're going to keep bringing 10 teams to the tourney, it would be place with 2 good fields. You don'twant a field that is torn up and without a lot of remaining grass by the time you get to the final.

RE the Midgely signing: I think most of the class, including her, actually signed a couple of weeks ago--per UT Soccer's twitter feed. However, the class hasn't officially been announced yet, and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a new freshan player in the group who wasn't among the previous commitments/signings. That is what we often see with Pensky.

On the other hand, the roster is quite full, so maybe we won't. It might depend on whether any of UT's players have decided to enter the portal. There are usually a couple who leave after getting word from the coaches that their playing time going forward will be limited--but this is a pretty talented roster, so we'll see. I read today that there are some 750 Div. 1 soccer players in the portal now--a big number--and about 35 percent or so are 5th-year players looking for a new team for their last year of eligibility. It's hard to see Pensky bringing in a transfer this year as I think all but one starter from last year will be back--plus we had two players who would have gotten minutes last year but didn't play at all due to, I presume, injury. A player would have to be very good to transfer in to UT with the expectation of getting serious playing time, I would think. But we'll see.

RE the next tourney location: I wonder how many places in the Southeast have a first-rate soccer complex
that wouldn't be giving any of the teams an obvious home-field advantage? I'd guess somewhere in Florida or maybe the suburbs
of one of the bigger cities in the region--Atlanta, Nashville, maybe Louisville. Ideally, if they're going to keep bringing 10 teams to the tourney, it would be place with 2 good fields. You don'twant a field that is torn up and without a lot of remaining grass by the time you get to the final.

RE the Midgely signing: I think most of the class, including her, actually signed a couple of weeks ago--per UT Soccer's twitter feed. However, the class hasn't officially been announced yet, and it wouldn't surprise me if there is a new freshan player in the group who wasn't among the previous commitments/signings. That is what we often see with Pensky.

On the other hand, the roster is quite full, so maybe we won't. It might depend on whether any of UT's players have decided to enter the portal. There are usually a couple who leave after getting word from the coaches that their playing time going forward will be limited--but this is a pretty talented roster, so we'll see. I read today that there are some 750 Div. 1 soccer players in the portal now--a big number--and about 35 percent or so are 5th-year players looking for a new team for their last year of eligibility. It's hard to see Pensky bringing in a transfer this year as I think all but one starter from last year will be back--plus we had two players who would have gotten minutes last year but didn't play at all due to, I presume, injury. A player would have to be very good to transfer in to UT with the expectation of getting serious playing time, I would think. But we'll see.

American Athletic Conference played in Tampa this year. Nice facility.

Corbett Soccer Stadium

There were only four SEC players in the top 50 on the @TopDrawerSoccer Top 100 Freshmen, and the Vols accounted for three of those spots.

Six Vols Land On Top Drawer Soccer Top 100 Lists

7B393826-5365-4CD7-A5E0-2541BCCDCC1D.jpeg
ACE7A335-67EF-4D0E-B4AA-FC69E2E9CE6B.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Six Volunteers made TopDrawerSoccer.com Postseason Top 100 lists, as announced Thursday.

Wrenne French landed at #15, Jaida Thomas at #41 and Mackenzie George at #84 on the Women's Top 100, a list comprised only of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. All three Vols jumped into the rankings after successful 2021 campaigns in a season that saw UT pick up wins over five ranked opponents while claiming an SEC Tournament Championship and making a run to the NCAA Round of 16. The only UT player to make the midseason rankings was George who checked in at No. 100.

On the Postseason Freshman Top 100, Taylor Huff sits at #4, Jordan Fusco at #13 and Claire Rain at #32. There were only four SEC players among the top 50 freshmen on the list, and the Vols accounted for three of those spots. The only other SEC player in the top 50 was Sophia Aragon from Arkansas who landed at #28.

All three freshmen also made significant jumps from the midseason rankings when Huff was #9, Fusco was #32 and Rain was #58.

VN Store

Back