Tennessee Slowly Becoming The New Clemson

MAD

Arsenal FC, Detroit Lions
Not yet, but Clemson has benefited from Tennessee’s missteps over the last 10 plus years.
In 2008 Fulmer and Bowden both left their programs.
Clemson hired interim coach Dabo Swinney while Tennessee is on their 5th coach.
Back in 2008 no one considered Clemson to be on the level of Tennessee.
Our misfortunes helped build their dynasty.
A lot of Tennessee’s best recruits went on to play for the orange and purple instead of The Big Orange.
It’s time to right the ship.
CJH has the Vols heading in the right direction while Clemson is unranked for the first time since 2014.

I appreciate the optimism, but let's slow down a little bit lol. They have won two national championships in the past 5 years. While they are struggling this year, I do not think they are entering the decline we have been enduring. I do think Clemson is a great example of how QB play can impact a program. This is the first year in a long time they do not have an ace taking the snaps (Boyd, Watson, Lawrence, etc.).

I appreciate the optimism, but let's slow down a little bit lol. They have won two national championships in the past 5 years. While they are struggling this year, I do not think they are entering the decline we have been enduring. I do think Clemson is a great example of how QB play can impact a program. This is the first year in a long time they do not have an ace taking the snaps (Boyd, Watson, Lawrence, etc.).
Slow down hell, we're just getting started!

It's not about who won two national titles in the past 5 years. It's about who wins them in the NEXT 5 years.

Go Vols!

I'm probably more optimistic than most Vol fans but let's pump the brakes just a tad. We had good seasons under each of the previous staffs and we thought out trajectory was on a permanent upwards trend but despite high ranking recruiting classes success could not be sustained. I WILL say that there appears to be a much different energy with this staff that makes sustained success more likely. The players that stayed and bought in are laying a foundation for future classes and success on the field will lead back to highly rated recruiting classes. Can you imagine this offense with a few top 10 classes?

1*j-o_xZcmtEBmydGZEICnSA.jpeg

Not yet, but Clemson has benefited from Tennessee’s missteps over the last 10 plus years.
In 2008 Fulmer and Bowden both left their programs.
Clemson hired interim coach Dabo Swinney while Tennessee is on their 5th coach.
Back in 2008 no one considered Clemson to be on the level of Tennessee.
Our misfortunes helped build their dynasty.
A lot of Tennessee’s best recruits went on to play for the orange and purple instead of The Big Orange.
It’s time to right the ship.
CJH has the Vols heading in the right direction while Clemson is unranked for the first time since 2014.
If Hooker ends up being our Taj Boyd...couple really good productive years, it could really help build the recruiting pipeline on both sides of the ball, which is exactly what Clemson did over the course of several years...albeit against ACC competition.

If Hooker ends up being our Taj Boyd...couple really good productive years, it could really help build the recruiting pipeline on both sides of the ball, which is exactly what Clemson did over the course of several years...albeit against ACC competition.
Hooker played HS in Greensboro. If UT could open up a pipeline into the Triad... that would be HUGE. UNC is doing their part to help.

They went 12-2 (including a playoff berth) with Kelly Bryant who was not much better than what they have now. I think they're overall talent level had certainly declined, particularly on offense (mainly offensive line). Let's see what happens to them next year, but this year is brutal. Fortunately the ACC is awful, so there record should be fine. Pittsburgh might be able to beat them, same with Wake Forest.

Reactions: MAD
Clemson benefited from everyone except Alabama being bad in the 2010s. Now that Georgia/Florida are starting to turn it around (hopefully we do too), it’s not so easy to get all the best recruits from the south.

I don’t know if they’ll be able to replicate their success this decade.

Last edited:
We have a long ways to go before we can claim anything like that lol.

But it is absolutely true Clemson became so successful because we weren't. I'm not sure there's room for both schools at the top, so I hope we take that spot.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back