Tennessee QB records as a starter since 1980

Interesting... ranking of QBs based on passing efficiency since 2000
View attachment 316460

These stats are WAY skewed because of the BS , scared, horribly inaccurate way JG has played.

His rating being so high is based PURELY on the fact that until this season, he almost never threw a pick. Thats it. What it DOESNT say is that the reason he never threw picks is because his passes are usually SO far off that a DB could never get there...or were 50/50 balls to the 2 WR that we just put in the NFL, Callaway and Jennings, who grew accustomed to his late and always underthrown 50/50 balls and KNEW they had to bail him out on any deep ball.

Let's extrapolate those stats a bit.

So....36 TDS...in 26 games started, plus the ones he came in as relief last year. So, what, 36 TDs in 30 games? Barely over 1 TD a game passing? How many games you win like that??? Oh... 9 out of 26. 9 and 17 as a starter...only UT passer in my 43 years to start 2 or more seasons and have a losing record. The only one.

Let's do yards, shall we? Says 4500 yards. In 30 games he appeared or started. So , 150 passing yards a game. How many games yall figure we win with 150 passing yards? Probably 1 in 3? Yep. 9 and 17 as a starter. Thats 1 win out of 3 starts. Worst ever

Golfballs, I know you aren't a JG backer...this post wasn't even for you bro...it is for the 2 or 3 morons in our fan base that will STILL defend this terrible QB after all he has done to wreck this program and discourage the entire team and fan base.

So tired of this clown. Said it before, if Coach let's him come back again next year I will not attend nor even watch a single game until both of them are gone...and I am a CJP backer. I think he is a pretty good coach, but JG will cost him his job if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass.

These stats are WAY skewed because of the BS , scared, horribly inaccurate way JG has played.

His rating being so high is based PURELY on the fact that until this season, he almost never threw a pick. Thats it. What it DOESNT say is that the reason he never threw picks is because his passes are usually SO far off that a DB could never get there...or were 50/50 balls to the 2 WR that we just put in the NFL, Callaway and Jennings, who grew accustomed to his late and always underthrown 50/50 balls and KNEW they had to bail him out on any deep ball.

Let's extrapolate those stats a bit.

So....36 TDS...in 26 games started, plus the ones he came in as relief last year. So, what, 36 TDs in 30 games? Barely over 1 TD a game passing? How many games you win like that??? Oh... 9 out of 26. 9 and 17 as a starter...only UT passer in my 43 years to start 2 or more seasons and have a losing record. The only one.

Let's do yards, shall we? Says 4500 yards. In 30 games he appeared or started. So , 150 passing yards a game. How many games yall figure we win with 150 passing yards? Probably 1 in 3? Yep. 9 and 17 as a starter. Thats 1 win out of 3 starts. Worst ever

Golfballs, I know you aren't a JG backer...this post wasn't even for you bro...it is for the 2 or 3 morons in our fan base that will STILL defend this terrible QB after all he has done to wreck this program and discourage the entire team and fan base.

So tired of this clown. Said it before, if Coach let's him come back again next year I will not attend nor even watch a single game until both of them are gone...and I am a CJP backer. I think he is a pretty good coach, but JG will cost him his job if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass.
You failed to mention another reason his Interceptions are low is because he hangs on to the ball when he isn't inaccurately launching it downfield. He also takes more sacks and has more fumbles than any qb I've ever seen. QBR is typically a solid metric for QBs, but not always. JG is an extreme outlier.

Josh Dobbs will go down as one of the most under appreciated QBs at UT, maybe even the conference

Dobbs was a good QB, and an even better human. Good man and sharp as they come.

These days, with the 3 worst years ever played by a UT passer and a 9 and 17 record...everybody posts about Dobbs as if he was great. He wasn't . He was a great runner...surprisingly so, even showed toughness at the goal line in addition to great footspeed and agility. He put up a lot of yards over his career passing, relatively speaking...but i refuse to look on that with orange colored glasses. His passing left a great deal to be desired. There were times he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and we fussed about it all the time. He had some good passing games, where he threw for 2 TDS and we won a fair amount of them, but I know mine and others post history from the Dobbs era is full of complaining, just as we do now, because we didn't have a Bray, Casey, etc and we knew that we would win more games if we had a real passing threat to open up the run game. Opponents played 8 men in the box all the time and dared us to beat them over the top...same as now. Only difference is Dobbs scrambling ability was flat out amazing at times...Holloway is probably the only QB we have ever had as elusive as him.

The purpose of my post is surely not to knock Dobbs. He is a great young man, and if we had him this year and last we would have probably only lost to Bama and UGA....I wish him every possible success in life. Just wanted to point out that with all his running ability, and all the times he completely bailed Lyle out ....he still left a lot to be desired as a passer in both accuracy and production, and when he was here there was a reason half the fan base was on here complaining every week about his wild throws and missed open receivers .

* I must also say that I would honestly rather us start a walk on QB from now on than to ever have to see JG in orange again. Wish him a great career with his free masters degree from UT, and if he takes 1 more snap at UT it will be 1 too many. Done. So done. We have plenty of talent in BM and HB, it should be on the field and learning.

Reactions: GetYouSomeofThat
As I have stated a dozen times...

JG is the ONLY UT passer in the modern era to be a 3 year or even 2 full year starter and have a LOSING RECORD!!!!

What a damn disgrace.

35% winning %....1 in 3 games.. and unlike Bray, we have had decent defenses with JG here. Even with him killing their stats from all the 3 and outs, fumbles, interceptions....they are still top half of the mighty SEC. Example: right now our DEFENSE has only given up 21 points in the last 6 quarters .....JG BY HIMSELF has given up 31 points. All by himself...

THE WORST QB at UT in my 43 years

Wish we had a coach for the last 3 years....if so JG woildnt have been starting all those games.

Not many college football teams with All Pro football and All Star baseball players on the same team (and not be the same person). LOL.

Todd Helton - 1-2
Peyton Manning - 39-6
Helton was injured very early. Peyton and Helton maybe we’re in the field together maybe 2 or 3
Games tops.

Man we were spoiled having Peyton, Tee and Iceman back-to-back-to-back. That run of successful QBs will probably never be duplicated in our program.

Ainge wasn't a slump either. That injury vs Notre Dame wrecked the following year (5-6 season), but he bounced back nicely.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Maybe Pruitt wants to add another notch on his belt and have record breaking, historically bad QB. Imagine if he loses out with JG.

Now that’s an impressive tenure.

9-23 would be a tough record to ever break.

Man, Jerry Colquitt. That dude just got robbed. I remember the KNS had a picture of him on one knee the day of the UCLA game. Then he blows out his knee in that game.
Crazy thing, I was going through a bunch of my old autographed signature rookie cards the other day and there was a signed Jerry Colquitt card...Damn shame he got hurt the 1st game of the season...He had a lot of potential.

Alan Cockrell is a name that doesn't get enough credit IMO. Thanks OP, I enjoyed this list. The really good ones just jump off the page due to their stats.

Ainge wasn't a slump either. That injury vs Notre Dame wrecked the following year (5-6 season), but he bounced back nicely.
My memory could be slipping but I remember Ainge and Schaeffer were in a QB battle through the first few weeks and I thought Schaeffer was going to be our Michael Vick. Then he had the collarbone injury and Ainge got all the snaps after that. Turns out Ainge was the better long term option but I was excited about the dual threat option of Schaeffer. That’s the reason I didn’t really consider Ainge after Clausen because he wasn’t the starter at the beginning of that season.

My memory could be slipping but I remember Ainge and Schaeffer were in a QB battle through the first few weeks and I thought Schaeffer was going to be our Michael Vick. Then he had the collarbone injury and Ainge got all the snaps after that. Turns out Ainge was the better long term option but I was excited about the dual threat option of Schaeffer. That’s the reason I didn’t really consider Ainge after Clausen because he wasn’t the starter at the beginning of that season.

Yeah. Ainge got hurt vs Notre Dame when we tried to score before half time. Forgot what game Schaeffer got hurt in. I thought both were soon to be transfers given how Rick Clausen finished the year and bowl game. Of all the SEC title games that rub me wrong way, that year vs Auburn sticks out the most.

We are due for another 25-30 win qb soon, according to our patterns, the next one after JG will be the one to get us there

People love him now, but many forget how ambivalent the fanbase was towards him when he was here. If memory serves he only lost one game on the road the entire time he was here.

I have never understood it - perhaps it was because he followed Peyton and Tee, and as many games as Clausen won he didn't win quite at their level? I dunno.

Also had a lot to do with him holding a rose in his mouth after beating UF in 01. Players were acting like they were going to the national championship and ignored LSU. A lot of players were doing it but Clausen got the publicity since he was the QB.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Wow. That's bad.

And before the predictable "talent" complaint... the O Crompton led was less talented than any JG has led and FAR less talented than this one. The Sullins Bros were OG and C. The RT weighed no more than 275 lbs. They had one credible RB... with bum knees. Gerald Jones led the team in receiving. Moore was obviously good but that receiving corps was nowhere near as deep or talented as the ones JG has had.

I thought Kiffin did a great job patching that team together.

I agree. I'd even go this far: the team Kiffin coached was the least talented team Tennessee has had, top to bottom, since the first couple of years of Majors. And he got them to 7-6 and a blocked field goal away from beating 'Bama.

Sorry to bump but has ANY UT QB been directly responsible for so many losses as JG has in his career? It’s ridiculous!

VN Store

Back