Tennessee Played Well Vs. Texas

Totally right-on! The first quarter killed them as well as fouls. If they continue to hang together and play like they did today during the remainder of their games, they're definitely in this year's tournament with a decent ranking!

Stop it Holly!

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, Holly has got them losing a lot better than they were losing before.

Your post has some truth, as far as yesterday was concern, however, these girls showed some guts. They did not fold their tent when they were behind by 15. Yes, Russell could have been more aggressive against Lang, because she has the athletic ability and Diamond could have played better from the start. We really need a bigs coach and a true point guard.

We saw something new in these ladies, they played good against a ranked team. Nard proved that she has superstar potential, Jackson showed that she could play defense against one of the best guards in college WBB and Diamond proved that she can play very good when her head is not stuck in her rear. This game did not prove that Holly is turning into a great coach because the sample size is way too small, however, if she can get the ladies to play aggressive as they did, and they never give up, that will be a major program accomplishment.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes and it gives them an extra year basically playing together besides Green. Cooper is wayyy better the Reynolds in all phases of basketball.

Last year's team lost 14 games. Cooper couldn't beat out Reynolds for minutes, and it's unlikely that Green is better than Bashaara. So wishing for a lesser version of last year's lineup saying that they would be better makes no sense.

+ + They lost one of their bigs and their starting guard did not play because of concussion protocols! They played better!!! BUT COME ON ??? Texas beat us down two starters 😈

OK i will defer to you and others who think the same.

OK i will defer to you and others who think the same.

I don't care if the lost micheal Jordan when graves and seats broke there hands no one felt sorry for us ..if they are on the court then they get treated like everyone else. Isabelle was injured when we went there in 2014 so I don't care

I don't care if the lost micheal Jordan when graves and seats broke there hands no one felt sorry for us ..if they are on the court then they get treated like everyone else. Isabelle was injured when we went there in 2014 so I don't care

Texas didn't use it as an excuse. They had other players step up and get the win.

Against Syracuse:

Jordan was out. Did All-American Te'a step up?
Andraya was injured. Did All-American Aexa step up?
Bashaara was injured. Did All-American Mercedes step up?

Starters become more important for Tennessee because frankly, Holly does a piss poor job developing her bench. Did you see Texas' 3-star freshman player who led the team in scoring yesterday while playing tough defense on Diamond? Where the hell was Schaquila and Kamera in this game?

If you don't develop your bench, then absolutely no one should be surprised that they aren't ready to contribute when their number is called.

Last edited:
I agree with the OP; you have to look at bright sides to build on and this game did offer a few bright spots [Of course fans don't have see a silver lining but the player and coaching staff have to unless they are writing off the season; which is not likely. So, let's go with a "what can we take from this game to build on?" outlook]

The one enduring disappoint and concern is that LVs played the first quarter like a continuation of the Baylor game, with low energy and soft defending? How does that happen when they desperately needed a bounce back game?

But, they began fighting back in the 2nd and Nared was great (not only offensively but on the boards); Diamond was struggling offensively but starting making plays on the defensive side.

3rd quarter was a great defensive quarter but they scored relatively few points, given the number of defensive stops they made and hence did not get much separation from Texas. As the half wore on, they eventually lost a little of that defensive intensity (the short bench problem likely played a role).

If the first half was the Nared show; the 2nd half was the Diamond show.

You have to give the Texas bigs credit for taking Mercedes out of the game; sometimes, it is what the other team does not so much what you did not do. Texas had a good plan and the players to make life hard for MR. Hopefully, the LVs staff can learn from this game and adjust to this kind of defensive scheme.

The LVs showed they can compete (which unfortunately had been in question over the last few weeks). Now they need to start winning.

Last edited:
Vol nation, We have a very sub par line up that scares know one offensively or defensively. If we start Diamond, Mercedes, Jamie, Jordan and Nunn, look who is coming of our bench Dunbar (If she isn't hitting the 3 pointer is totally ineffective) Jackson (supposed to be a good defensive player, very suspect offensively) Harris ( Is she on Scholarship!! possesses no Offensive game, foul prone) and Middleton (poor defensive player, suspect offensively, turnover waiting to happen). If you fans really believe we can win more than 15 games this yr. with these 9 players we haven't been watching the same basketball games!!! Lets just hope that we see some type of improvements from the underclassmen as this season unfolds. Its going to be painful to watch.

Please block me, why respond? I mean, I can't see your responses.

So, if you constantly hate on the Lady Vols, without any facts, besides wins and losses, your prolly on I block list.
List is attached. So, responding to my post is a waste of time, like most of your posts. I don't see em.

Wuteva?

The ladies are moving in the right direction. I love Nared, her post game press conference gave me life.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.18.53 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 11.18.53 AM.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
A good game? Not hardly. We were 15 points behind in the first half! Yea, we rallied, but we lost--period. Reynolds was 1-9; DD made 8 shots missed 12. Russell had a meager 8 points for the game--was not influential enough. We were out-rebounded by a lot. We gave up 20 points in the key quarter of the game--the 4th. You CANNOT give up 20+ points in the 4th quarter and expect to win--not with our crap offense. We had only 8 assists. Wasn't Texas missing two of its regulars in this game--one of the key bigs missed the entire second half. Yes, we were less bad than we were in the last game. Champagne for everybody!

Um, if you get the score even, then it's even.

We were out-rebounded by 8 by one of the biggest and deepest post teams.

The player injured was not a key big. Low minute role player whose twin sister on the bench could've played in her spot.

For our team right now, there's a fine edge between winning and losing. NO one's drinkin' champagne, but we're looking for positives to build on.

At the rate UT is headed, there will be no NCAA games. Especially, not a deep run.

Charlie Creme's updated NCAAW's bracket comes out tomorrow, let's see where he places us.

He won't place us anywhere because 4 loss teams at this point won't make the cut. Texas won't either. But that should change as the season goes along.

You really think come March that TN will not be one of the top 64 teams (give or take)?

If you compare this year's team (as it now stands) to Holly's earlier years (including the 30 win one) and last year's team in its elite eight form, they are not getting out on the break near as much. The LVs have never been a great half court offense; they have always thrived on fast breaks off of rebounds and turnovers leading to lay-ups. In their 3rd quarter run against Texas, we saw a bit of that (Diamond running the floor on two occasions but such plays are now more the exception than the rule. And this point holds true even when the LVs are controlling the boards, they are just not getting out on the run. They may have a short bench but I would expect that at least in spurts they would try to play a faster tempo. I recall during last year's doldrums, we also discussed the LVs playing slow and their turn around corresponded to an uptick in their game speed and getting out on the break more.

We are not talking rocket science here; Holly and staff have to realize the team is better in the open court than the half court. So, I wonder why theLVs don't try pushing the pace more; you can tell for sure that Diamond wants to go faster...If your star is willing to lead, why not follow?

So, if you constantly hate on the Lady Vols, without any facts, besides wins and losses, your prolly on I block list.
List is attached. So, responding to my post is a waste of time, like most of your posts. I don't see em.

Wuteva?

The ladies are moving in the right direction. I love Nared, her post game press conference gave me life.

That's quite a list, but I think you covered most of the most negative. Good for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Wuteva?

I probably need to follow suit - but I like to keep an eye on what some of these folks say in case so feel it needs to be addressed. A futile effort on my part, I realize, but it's the way I'm wired. 😊

One of the reasons Tennessee looked better yesterday was because Texas played man defense. Diamond and Nared were able to slash to the basket for easy buckets. Against a zone, those plays are not there. There was also too much one-on-one basketball (which also doesn't work against a zone) as evidenced by only 9 assists for the entire game. Both Nared and Diamond (and the team as a whole) had more turnovers than assists once again. Diamond scored 19 points but it took her 20 shots to do it. It would have helped the team if someone who shoots at a higher percentage than Diamond had taken some of those shots.

If you compare this year's team (as it now stands) to Holly's earlier years (including the 30 win one) and last year's team in its elite eight form, they are not getting out on the break near as much. The LVs have never been a great half court offense; they have always thrived on fast breaks off of rebounds and turnovers leading to lay-ups. In their 3rd quarter run against Texas, we saw a bit of that (Diamond running the floor on two occasions but such plays are now more the exception than the rule. And this point holds true even when the LVs are controlling the boards, they are just not getting out on the run. They may have a short bench but I would expect that at least in spurts they would try to play a faster tempo. I recall during last year's doldrums, we also discussed the LVs playing slow and their turn around corresponded to an uptick in their game speed and getting out on the break more.

We are not talking rocket science here; Holly and staff have to realize the team is better in the open court than the half court. So, I wonder why theLVs don't try pushing the pace more; you can tell for sure that Diamond wants to go faster...If your star is willing to lead, why not follow?

Re your last sentence - it's the point guard. Everything stems from what the point guard does or doesn't do.

These games mean nothing. The NCAA games are the only ones that matter. Stop watching, commenting on this preseason crap. Save money for March madness tickets.

I have purchased Final Four tickets the last two years and have a chance to buy them again this year.I will offer them to you for face value ....do you want them since you are so convinced they will be in NCAA field it should be an easy decision.Just let me k now.

I probably need to follow suit - but I like to keep an eye on what some of these folks say in case so feel it needs to be addressed. A futile effort on my part, I realize, but it's the way I'm wired. 😊

Ain't nobody got time for that, we still have a lot of great posters on the board. Of course, I don't agree with them all, but some are good, I enjoy reading posts whether their opinions is different from mine, cos you can read the passion they have for the Lady Vols, and really want the team and the coach to to be successful.

I need to remove AMB, but other than that, wuteva?

In those block posters eyes, Holly would never do anything right, so why bother talkin or listenin to what the have to say, when everything is full of hate.

Aye, do you. T-Vol! lol

How did you feel about Texas game?

Re your last sentence - it's the point guard. Everything stems from what the point guard does or doesn't do.

Tenn can run, if they rebound the basketball, but when you giving up 20 offensive rebounds, its kind of hard.

Good defense, finish with a rebound. Every coach want easy buckets in transition, and that comes from ball pressure, steals and rebounds, which fuels transitions. Holly always telling them to run.

Diamond, wants to run fine, she has to keep playing defense, and rebound the basketball.

And the star of this team so far, is Nared. ijs

That's quite a list, but I think you covered most of the most negative. Good for you.

Dat part.

My Volnation message board experience has changed since the ignore list became my friend, a lot of empty spots, cos they post a lot of hate but I'm kewl with that. lol

:)

It might not be such a bad idea to let Diamond handle the ball more; she often wants to be a facilitator anyway...

Holly said in her presser after Baylor that we need to run.

VN Store

Back