Tennessee Number 14

Any one feel like UConn is rated number one this year and they really are not number one. When they were rated number one years before you thought they deserved it. They are not that great on the road have to see how they play on a neutral court. Several teams capable of beating them this season they are no where near the favorite they have been in past seasons.

Any one feel like UConn is rated number one this year and they really are not number one. When they were rated number one years before you thought they deserved it. They are not that great on the road have to see how they play on a neutral court. Several teams capable of beating them this season they are no where near the favorite they have been in past seasons.
I think UConn has as good an argument for #1 as Stanford, TAMU, etc. 4 wins vs. ranked teams, including SC, one loss on the road against a streaky but talented team. It's hard to fault them with their games vs. Baylor and Louisville getting cancelled because of the Rona.

I do agree with you that the tournament is wide open. Any of the top 5 teams...maybe even more...can sneak away with the title this year. UConn may be the overall #1, but I don't think they are the overwhelming favorite. When odds come out, it will probably be pretty spread out between most of the #1/#2 seeds.

Normally going into the tourney it seems like only 2 or 3 teams have a real shot at the title. This year I think there are several teams that have a shot. I even think UT is capable of winning it. (Doubtful but possible). I think Baylor and Stanford will be real tough. Should have a lot of interesting games.

2020-21 Women's College Basketball Rankings for Week 15 | ESPN

I thought we would be 15 missed it by one. How we behind 7 loss Arkansas?

Oh you know, they beat the almighty UCONN so that means you’re basically a top 10 team regardless of what happened the entire rest of the season according to the voters. 🙄

And I agree UCONN is not #1 for me it’s Texas A&M and then Stanford. I think Stanford would only have the 1 loss to UCLA if they hadn’t been forced into a 17game road trip to start the season. A&M has been the best team in the best conference and has taken care of business. They have a veteran team and a great coach. They would be getting my vote for #1. For me it goes:

1. A&M
2. Stanford
3. NC State
4. Baylor
5. UCONN
6. Louisville

UCONN didn’t win any of its Top 25 games in dominant fashion. Hell they were 1-1 against SC and Arkansas and we went 2-0 against those teams. How do you think the connies would have faired playing an entire SEC season?

I’m refusing to count DePaul as Top 25. I just don’t think they’re very good, they’re only in the top 25 because their coach is buddies with Geno. They aren’t even the #2 team in the Big East and have lost games to two unranked opponents recently.

I agree with Amb, both things can be true - UConn deserves #1 right now but is way less number oney than they have been in the past. Maybe due to bizarre circumstances of the season, but it does seem to be a wide open tourney. A big storyline is gonna be the re-emergence of the LVs as a legit threat. Best March Madness in years!

So can we just, for one minute, reflect? Raise your hand if you predicted reg season top 15; 15-6 overall and 9-4 conf; 3rd place SEC, with victories over several ranked teams, including a top 5. Almost every development (remember development?) we said had to occur for us to be good has occurred, plus a few surprise ones like KK. All accomplished with major injuries and in a pandemic crazed season. Other than that, what has KJH done for us lately?

Unfortunately we also still have the occasional tendency to lay giant eggs, so that could happen. If it does it will be a big disappointment, but I still think some really important strides forward have been taken. Honestly I wasn't sure KJH could do it, especially in just 2 yrs bc she never had before. But right now she's on the right damn path.

Baylor at #4? They've done even less than UConn. They're 1-1 vs. two ranked teams they've played, and the win was against 20-someting WVU.

Winning in the Big 12 is worth more than winning in the Big East to me. Baylor has a great coach, 2 losses, both to quality teams, and they’re going to be conference champions of a P5 conference. They will likely be the tournament champ in that league as well.

Baylor was missing Carrington in their loss to Iowa State, a player who would have helped them a lot in that game. Their loss to Arkansas was Richards’ first game of the season so they were working some pieces in. Ranking them #4 right now based on how they have played the entire season and how they’re playing now. I stand by Baylor being the better team.

I agree with Amb, both things can be true - UConn deserves #1 right now but is way less number oney than they have been in the past. Maybe due to bizarre circumstances of the season, but it does seem to be a wide open tourney. A big storyline is gonna be the re-emergence of the LVs as a legit threat. Best March Madness in years!

So can we just, for one minute, reflect? Raise your hand if you predicted reg season top 15; 15-6 overall and 9-4 conf; 3rd place SEC, with victories over several ranked teams, including a top 5. Almost every development (remember development?) we said had to occur for us to be good has occurred, plus a few surprise ones like KK. All accomplished with major injuries and in a pandemic crazed season. Other than that, what has KJH done for us lately?

Unfortunately we also still have the occasional tendency to lay giant eggs, so that could happen. If it does it will be a big disappointment, but I still think some really important strides forward have been taken. Honestly I wasn't sure KJH could do it, especially in just 2 yrs bc she never had before. But right now she's on the right damn path.
I was predicting that this would be the worst team in LV history, and they would have some record-setting margin of defeat against the likes of UConn, SC, etc.

Never in my wildest dream did I think that they would beat SC, lose to UConn in a single possession game, and finish #3 in the SEC. This has been an outstanding effort not just by Kellie, but by Rennia and Rae in particular for showing tremendous consistency and growth from last season.

With pandemic-affected games, not an easy regular season to compare, yet many seem to ignore the losses, or in many cases of top-tier teams, their "bad losses".

Texas A&M lost to an unranked team on the road (plus barely beat Arkansas twice, once by 1 point & 2 points).
Stanford lost to an unranked team on the road (lost to ranked streaky team at home).
NCST lost to 2 unranked teams, one at home and one on road.
Baylor lost to 1 unranked team at home, and lost Arkansas (a streaky team, but dangerous).
L'ville lost to 1 unranked team on road (but had several close games, incl. vs. mid-major at home).

UConn lost on the road to ranked team, and beat two ranked teams by admittedly just single-digits, but have beat all other teams, ranked or not, by double-digits.

Assuredly, there is no overwhelming favorite this odd season. There are not even 2-3 elite teams standing above all others. It is a 4-6 team scrum for the NC. Indeed 2021 UConn is not UConn 1995, UConn 2002, UConn 2009, UConn 2010, UConn 2014, UConn 2015, nor UConn 2016, teams that were dominant and usually historically dominant. Just like Tenn 1989, Tenn 1996-1998 three-peat and Tenn 2008, as well as Baylor 2012. But I'm sure many teams don't want to see UConn, Stanford, Baylor or A&M earlier than the FF.

Oh you know, they beat the almighty UCONN so that means you’re basically a top 10 team regardless of what happened the entire rest of the season according to the voters. 🙄

And I agree UCONN is not #1 for me it’s Texas A&M and then Stanford. I think Stanford would only have the 1 loss to UCLA if they hadn’t been forced into a 17game road trip to start the season. A&M has been the best team in the best conference and has taken care of business. They have a veteran team and a great coach. They would be getting my vote for #1. For me it goes:

1. A&M
2. Stanford
3. NC State
4. Baylor
5. UCONN
6. Louisville

UCONN didn’t win any of its Top 25 games in dominant fashion. Hell they were 1-1 against SC and Arkansas and we went 2-0 against those teams. How do you think the connies would have faired playing an entire SEC season?

I’m refusing to count DePaul as Top 25. I just don’t think they’re very good, they’re only in the top 25 because their coach is buddies with Geno. They aren’t even the #2 team in the Big East and have lost games to two unranked opponents recently.
UCONN uses the last possession win as a confidence booster for the committee LOL who would have thought #Hussies

Nope. UConn at their best gets the nod over the other contenders at their best, due in large part to the Huskies having the best player by far. You are correct that the gap isn't what it has been in the past, nor what it will be starting next season...

Reactions: mcannon1

1. A&M
2. Stanford
3. NC State
4. Baylor
5. UCONN
6. Louisville

I can agree to UConn being number two but Texas A&M is clearly number one by the teams that both have played. Number three could be any of the others but I'd go with Stanford then NC State probably go Maryland fifth Baylor sixth SC seventh and Louisville eighth.

I wonder what the ESPN Huskies’ record would be if they were in the SEC?

Playing in a conference full of patsies sure makes it easier to get through the regular season rested and with less bumps and bruises to make a tournament run.

Losing to Arkansas speaks volumes to that scenario.

I can agree to UConn being number two but Texas A&M is clearly number one by the teams that both have played. Number three could be any of the others but I'd go with Stanford then NC State probably go Maryland fifth Baylor sixth SC seventh and Louisville eighth.

I agree the SEC is by far the strongest conference. But uconn always has a schedule rated stronger than any conference - usually one or two in the ratings. I think the conferences Baylor is in is very weak and they usually schedule very weak out of conference games. Maryland's conference is also not very strong but Maryland schedules stronger out of conference games than Baylor. I agree TA&M should be one.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I wonder what the ESPN Huskies’ record would be if they were in the SEC?

Playing in a conference full of patsies sure makes it easier to get through the regular season rested and with less bumps and bruises to make a tournament run.

Losing to Arkansas speaks volumes to that scenario.
Espn. Whiskies.
Cute

I would put TAMU at #1 with their performance over SC. Actually at this stage of the season it really doesn't matter (unless you want to hang a banner). The only thing that counts is your NCAA draw. Your ranking with the committee is more important this year than any year. All teams will be ranked in an 'S' curve which means if you are the top ranked #1 you would be scheduled to play the 16th ranked team in the SS. While the 4th ranked #1 will play the 13th ranked team. If the rankings hold the EE would have #1 against #8 and #4 against #5. Both games are a huge edge to the top ranked #1 verses the 4th ranked #1. If the committee agrees with todays top 25 UConn's 2 games to get into the FF would be Georgia and Maryland while Stanford would play Arkansas and Louisville. Which two games do you think is the more difficult path to the FF?

Reactions: glv98
I know. Their tournament and regular season race are so exciting (unlike ours).

Those Conn fans really love competitive basketball.;)

When the competitive discrepancies are brought up to Geno he replied, "We are in a league of our own." The only games that count are the last 6 everything else is preliminaries.

Reactions: mcannon1 and glv98
I agree the SEC is by far the strongest conference. But uconn always has a schedule rated stronger than any conference - usually one or two in the ratings. I think the conferences Baylor is in is very weak and they usually schedule very weak out of conference games. Maryland's conference is also not very strong but Maryland schedules stronger out of conference games than Baylor. I agree TA&M should be one.

Big 10 this year looks pretty strong to me, with Maryland, Indiana, Michigan, OSU and Rutgers all ranked. That's just 1 less than the SEC.

B12 has been pretty weak this year. UConn's schedule is pretty weak too, but hurt because they missed out on some marquis OOC games. Also adding that Louisville's schedule (OOC and ACC) is not the strongest either.

VN Store

Back