Tennessee needs a little more nasty....

Alexander in the middle is a prime example of not being "nasty". In my humble opinion that position was the weakest on the entire team. Barnes needs to recruit better for that position. Then let the freshman recruit play which is something Barnes seems to be against. I don't get that at all if you need to build depth in a program.

I inCline to disagree. I think most schools would trade for our boys and then some. We really need for folks to stop having "career highs" against us. Football and basketball. When you can blindfold a guy and let him shoot from half court, and feel like it will go in, it's tough. That being said, if you noticed last night, UVA ran two guys out at Cline any time he caught the ball, then backed one off, which seemed to put him off his "Catch and shoot game".

IMO I think Barnes is an excellent players coach and seems to be able to develop players well. His weakness seems to be an inability to adjust and a weakness in "in-game" strategy. X's and O's. Will he ever be able to lose the rep as choking in the big game?

IMO I think Barnes is an excellent players coach and seems to be able to develop players well. His weakness seems to be an inability to adjust and a weakness in "in-game" strategy. X's and O's. Will he ever be able to lose the rep as choking in the big game?
I think this is a farce. Barnes at TX and this UT team is entirely different from having Durant vs a bunch of 3*s who over achieved their entire careers to give Volnation much joy. I'd rather have someone who's been there and not won it all, than someone who's never been. We're not an upper tier bball blue blood, but can be with continued direction. Would you rather be TX who hires a "sure thing" who doesn't hold a candle to Barnes, or SC, who makes it to final four, then flames out the next two years? I'd rather be in the mix every year, knowing that at some point, we'll break thru to a higher level.

Only thing this team lacked this season was playing a full 40 minutes of basketball on both ends of the floor. It worked with the weaker competition but really showed in the last 7 of regular season and the tournaments. A deeper bench next season might help with that. who knows?

I agree, but have always felt the definition that you make your own luck was the most true definition of "luck"

Purdue lucked in a banked three last night but Virgins lucked in a win.

Bottom line is games like we have seen lately aren't always won by the best teams and they damn sure aren't won by a team with a "nasty" player.

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
A lot better defensively and were going to the final four. The defense just didn't get to where it need to be. We could score enough points but sometimes the other team could score on us to easily.

A lot better defensively and were going to the final four. The defense just didn't get to where it need to be. We could score enough points but sometimes the other team could score on us to easily.

Meh

The defense we played vs Purdue wasn't any different then the D Virgina played last night against them and we know Virginia plays elite defense. There was no stopping them in this tourney from getting their 3s

Reactions: amorange
You have to look at the top. In the NBA, the center position is basically dying. At least the traditional center were all used too. You could argue that this will never be the case in HS or college ball but I think we've been moving towards positionless basketball for quite some time. You want a rim protector but a guy who can spread the floor and move away from the basket. I think this trend continues so having a small forward like Maymon or even a big guy like Scholfield as an enforcer works. Big beefy guys that can hit a jumper.

I think this is a farce. Barnes at TX and this UT team is entirely different from having Durant vs a bunch of 3*s who over achieved their entire careers to give Volnation much joy. I'd rather have someone who's been there and not won it all, than someone who's never been. We're not an upper tier bball blue blood, but can be with continued direction. Would you rather be TX who hires a "sure thing" who doesn't hold a candle to Barnes, or SC, who makes it to final four, then flames out the next two years? I'd rather be in the mix every year, knowing that at some point, we'll break thru to a higher level.

You totally misinterpret in order to stir the pot. I am a Barnes supporter, love the guy. He still has a rep as not being able to win the big game, like it or not.

You totally misinterpret in order to stir the pot. I am a Barnes supporter, love the guy. He still has a rep as not being able to win the big game, like it or not.
No pot stirring. Rep folks talk about is rationalization for TX firing Barnes...and that worked out about as good as UT firing Fulmer...maybe it was time for both, but end results weren't good.

VN Store

Back