Tennessee moves up to No. 5 in this week's AP Poll

Look i hate that Duke gets all this love. But im not so sure i want any of them when they are at full strength. Zion is to quick for anyone on our team to stop him. Play zone and hope they are cold is all you can do. They are really good whether we are 5th or 10th this poll doesn't matter. Head to head we probably go 5 and 5 in 10 against them. But a sudden death go home game i would be really nervous.
No offense to Kyle, but can you envision Alexander trying to go body-to-body against Zion?

Can someone please explain to me how a 24-5 North Carolina squad is two spots higher than UT when we are 26-3? Vols have lost two games in overtime (both away from home) and at Kentucky. All three teams we lost to were ranked in the top 15.
North Carolina has home losses to Texas (unranked - 3pt loss), Kentucky (8pt loss), Louisville (21pt loss), and Virginia (8 pt loss) and a complete beatdown by Michigan on the road (17 pt loss). That's 4 home losses - TN is undefeated at home.
If your name is Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, or North Carolina, you automatically get a top 10 ranking unless you have more than 6 losses (Kansas has 7 currently and is still ranked #13). I have never seen so much homerism among AP voters since their beloved Big Ten voting block robbed Peyton Manning of the Heisman Trophy...complete and utter BS!
Understand your frustration on the four blue bloods getting some favoritism. But on the other hand, their historical delivery should earn them some due. Of course It’s likely I say this because at the end of the day (especially at this point in the season) it’s meaningless. Nothing more than something to argue about and for people to self-inflate their view of their respective teams.

Can someone please explain to me how a 24-5 North Carolina squad is two spots higher than UT when we are 26-3? Vols have lost two games in overtime (both away from home) and at Kentucky. All three teams we lost to were ranked in the top 15.
North Carolina has home losses to Texas (unranked - 3pt loss), Kentucky (8pt loss), Louisville (21pt loss), and Virginia (8 pt loss) and a complete beatdown by Michigan on the road (17 pt loss). That's 4 home losses - TN is undefeated at home.
If your name is Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, or North Carolina, you automatically get a top 10 ranking unless you have more than 6 losses (Kansas has 7 currently and is still ranked #13). I have never seen so much homerism among AP voters since their beloved Big Ten voting block robbed Peyton Manning of the Heisman Trophy...complete and utter BS!

THANK YOU!!!

I understand the frustrations with UNC being ahead of the Vols. I don't agree with it but it will work itself out on Selection Sunday. One thing to correct though is UNC lost neutral site games to Texas and Kentucky. Those weren't home games. Having said that, Texas is a bad loss regardless. And a 21 point home loss to Louisville is huge black eye on their resume. I say we win out, we'll get a 1 seed. And I say we will. Go Vols!

Reactions: TennMan101
Duke at 4 tho.
Yeah, they lose to Virginia Tech and fall one spot? That is total BS, in my opinion. We are just two points away from having a one-loss season and all our losses came from top 10 teams. Not to mention, we redeemed ourselves against Kentucky by blowing them out.

Reactions: feathersax
Man these clowns love them some Dook. How many games do they have to get before falling out of the top 5?
The only thing keeping them afloat right now is the possibility that Zion is returning. I am starting to wonder if that isn't a ruse to keep their reputation and ranking buoyed until Selection Sunday.

For him personally, it really isn't a smart business decision if he isn't 100% healthy. As long as they keep assuring everyone he'll be back, each loss without him will be excused as much as humanly possible. I'm just not convinced it isn't a tactic to keep them from sliding, and that it's already been determined that he likely won't return.

Correct, the only question is are they top 4 or just top 10 never lower. They evidently don't count losses unless they are at full strength. Then you have Virginia ranked ahead of the team that beat them twice.

The only thing keeping them afloat right now is the possibility that Zion is returning. I am starting to wonder if that isn't a ruse to keep their reputation and ranking buoyed until Selection Sunday.

For him personally, it really isn't a smart business decision if he isn't 100% healthy. As long as they keep assuring everyone he'll be back, each loss without him will be excused as much as humanly possible. I'm just not convinced it isn't a tactic to keep them from sliding, and that it's already been determined that he likely won't return.
It also may not be the best business decision for him even if he is 100% healthy.

It's a damn joke, Neither Duke or UNC should be rated higher than UT. Heck, UNC should be in the NCAA jail anyway.
I hope we get the opportunity to shed some blue blood on the court and send either one or both of those ACC cheaters packing.

1st off you're either confused or just reading it wrong cuz UNC didn't lose to Texas and Kentucky at home. I don't know where you're getting that but that's wrong. 2nd Tennessee has only beaten 2 ranked teams all year. They are 2-3 vs ranked teams. UNC has won 7 games against ranked teams. Its not just as simple as team A has more losses than team B if team A has obviously had a tougher schedule than team B.

Logic isn't a strength of the pollsters. For example, if UNC is #3 on the strength of one good win over a Zion-less Duke, then LSU should be right with them because of wins against #5 and #6. Since apparently quality of losses is not a factor for the voters.

Understand your frustration on the four blue bloods getting some favoritism. But on the other hand, their historical delivery should earn them some due. Of course It’s likely I say this because at the end of the day (especially at this point in the season) it’s meaningless. Nothing more than something to argue about and for people to self-inflate their view of their respective teams.

Agreed, but if you go on history what about UV losing the 1st round as a 1 seed? I would think they would not get another 1 seed for 10 years as penalty!

1st off you're either confused or just reading it wrong cuz UNC didn't lose to Texas and Kentucky at home. I don't know where you're getting that but that's wrong. 2nd Tennessee has only beaten 2 ranked teams all year. They are 2-3 vs ranked teams. UNC has won 7 games against ranked teams. Its not just as simple as team A has more losses than team B if team A has obviously had a tougher schedule than team B.
Do losses not count?

Agreed, but if you go on history what about UV losing the 1st round as a 1 seed? I would think they would not get another 1 seed for 10 years as penalty!
I wasn’t including UVA as one of the four blue bloods that usually get some rankings favoritism. The four are Duke, UNC, Kansas, and UK. If anything, UVA gets sold short a bit in rankings relative to the big four.

VN Store

Back