Tennessee Media Coverage v. Memphis

MikeHamiltonFan

Our coach has 3 juniors over to his house for a BBQ.

They are all committed to the school.

Subsequently 2 go to other schools.

Bruce Pearl lies to the NCAA investigators who have heard from a snitch and have a picture of him with a junior.

Bruce Pearl goes to them and says "I lied."

Mike Hamilton takes away 1.5 million from Bruce and takes away off campus recruiting for a year.

The Vols get negative story after negative story. This is similar to when Tennessee had players pulled over.

At Memphis, a player who had more accolades coming out of High School than any of the guys in the car who were pulled over for Tennessee is suspended indefinitely because he gets in fights with his teammates and threatens them in a way that makes the school take action.

It gets about as much media attention as the fact that Dane Bradshaw practiced with the mens team.

This goes to show you that Hat is right that other coaches hate Bruce, but it also goes to show you that the media knows that lots of fans will click and click and click on negative stories written about UT.

Complete homers like Wolken and Gay Parrish are willing to give Pastner a pass but they also know that there are not that many people who are such UAB fans that they hate the Memphis Tigers. Tennessee is a much bigger program nationally that more people care about than the Memphis Tigers.

We are a big program, we have a top coach and we have tons of haters. At some point that should become a point of pride.

NWA had Jerry Heller and we have GP, Calipari, Thad Matta and a list that will grow as we stomp the piss out of more teams. I hope Dixon and Jay Wright hate Pearl's guts after his team abuses theirs.

I want a top 10 program. I want to be as hated as Duke, except I do not want us to have a Vitale verbally fellating our coach every season. Rest assured, when we succeed and there is no long probation, Clay Travis will try to get back to fluffing of Pearl but it will be too late.

So...the double standard on media coverage is a compliment. Thanks haters...

Child, please.

An NCAA investigation involving major violations will always be a huge story at any program of consequence.

The Jelan Kendrick story was on ESPN's scroll all day and night on Thursday and led the news in Memphis.

I can't believe you wasted 10 minutes writing that post.

Holy crap...Humdinger could not be more of a Memphis troll. He shows up to brag about the Tigers or to rag on TN. Sad.

Tony Harris did not get shot to death, that is one of the reasons he can always be grateful he left the city that Walker Percy saw as beautiful and I saw as full of crack pipes and leeches.

Holy crap...Humdinger could not be more of a Memphis troll. He shows up to brag about the Tigers or to rag on TN. Sad.

Tony Harris did not get shot to death, that is one of the reasons he can always be grateful he left the city that Walker Percy saw as beautiful and I saw as full of crack pipes and leeches.

Tony Harris lives in Memphis right now, you dolt.

:good!:
Our coach has 3 juniors over to his house for a BBQ.

They are all committed to the school.

Subsequently 2 go to other schools.

Bruce Pearl lies to the NCAA investigators who have heard from a snitch and have a picture of him with a junior.

Bruce Pearl goes to them and says "I lied."

Mike Hamilton takes away 1.5 million from Bruce and takes away off campus recruiting for a year.

The Vols get negative story after negative story. This is similar to when Tennessee had players pulled over.

At Memphis, a player who had more accolades coming out of High School than any of the guys in the car who were pulled over for Tennessee is suspended indefinitely because he gets in fights with his teammates and threatens them in a way that makes the school take action.

It gets about as much media attention as the fact that Dane Bradshaw practiced with the mens team.

This goes to show you that Hat is right that other coaches hate Bruce, but it also goes to show you that the media knows that lots of fans will click and click and click on negative stories written about UT.

Complete homers like Wolken and Gay Parrish are willing to give Pastner a pass but they also know that there are not that many people who are such UAB fans that they hate the Memphis Tigers. Tennessee is a much bigger program nationally that more people care about than the Memphis Tigers.

We are a big program, we have a top coach and we have tons of haters. At some point that should become a point of pride.

NWA had Jerry Heller and we have GP, Calipari, Thad Matta and a list that will grow as we stomp the piss out of more teams. I hope Dixon and Jay Wright hate Pearl's guts after his team abuses theirs.

I want a top 10 program. I want to be as hated as Duke, except I do not want us to have a Vitale verbally fellating our coach every season. Rest assured, when we succeed and there is no long probation, Clay Travis will try to get back to fluffing of Pearl but it will be too late.

So...the double standard on media coverage is a compliment. Thanks haters...

:good!:

Humdinger

The entire state would run a budget surplus if Memphis was given to Miss. We would also improve in our rankings in education, in crime statistics, in obesity, in health etc.

The Tigers do not matter. No matter how many sportwriters/lovers like GP and Wolken you have in your crap hole, your team does not matter to the rest of the country.

When you have a player who gets into altercations and threatens his teammates and your coach keeps doing a "no comment" to the media, he should be pursued for more information. He is not being pursued, because even though Kendrick was a stud recruit, very few people care about Tiger High.

Pretty sure a poster on this board started a thread last year about how awesome it would be for Tennessee to sign Jelan Kendrick. Anyone remember who that was?

Hat,

If Kendrick was at Tennessee under the arm of Forbes and working out with Tobias Harris and Golden, I am sure he would be doing well. Ramar Smith may well have been a murderer in HS and it took him getting kicked off the team and failed business arrangements before he threatened ex teammates. Kendrick is not nearly as hard a case, as Wheeler is about a 30 minute drive from a "hard" part of Atlanta.

At the end of the day, if I was in prison for a long time I would shank someone to protect myself. In the country club, you will not find me fighting.

It is odd to see you following me around. Bumping my old threads is almost as hilarious as you saying you were "getting reports" on what I write. I am sorry that you were wrong about TN never making it through the Sweet 16 with Pearl as the coach. I am sorry you are posting typo filled interviews with the coach of Marshall in your spare time from defending criminals.

You can be my Jerry Heller.

Hat,

If Kendrick was at Tennessee under the arm of Forbes and working out with Tobias Harris and Golden, I am sure he would be doing well. Ramar Smith may well have been a murderer in HS and it took him getting kicked off the team and failed business arrangements before he threatened ex teammates. Kendrick is not nearly as hard a case, as Wheeler is about a 30 minute drive from a "hard" part of Atlanta.

At the end of the day, if I was in prison for a long time I would shank someone to protect myself. In the country club, you will not find me fighting.

Is this post a parody?

Hat,

Is this post a parody?
I'm trying to figure out where Forbes would find the time to mentor a troubled player between buffet forays and internet monitoring.

MHF, please go read the top stickied thread on the football page. It will be good for your soul....
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Interview with Trae Golden (a kid who played against Kendrick in the Atlanta AAU circuit.)
Q: How has your friendship with (long-time AAU teammate) Jordan McRae changed?

A: "We were roommates on AAU trips, and we're suitemates now. Things haven't really changed at all. There are still times we go in each other's room - and having Tobias with us now - we're all there for each other in our times of need. You know you have your ups and downs when you're a freshman. We like to just chill out and play video games. We play Madden (football) and we like to go see the movies, go to the volleyball games. Just hang out. None of us are big partyers.''

Those guys on the TN team, they are really crazy...

Even Tyler Smith getting kicked off, they had a bottle of liquor that was empty and Big Brian had some weed...if you think they would win a gun battle with Kareem Cooper and Shawne Williams you are crazy.

Inciting riots? Beating women? Throwing punches at opposing fans?

Nice to see Pastner is cleaning stuff up though:
Potential Memphis basketball transfer Mbakwe enters pre-trial intervention program
Looking to add great citizens like Mbakwe.

MHF, please go read the top stickied thread on the football page. It will be good for your soul....
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I already voted for the kid a few times and posted in the thread.

Not sure what that has to do with the fact that TN gets criticized much more harshly than Memphis and that it proves that we are a better and more important program.

My soul is very happy thanks. If I was helping keep factually guilty people from being punished for lucre I would have to drink a good deal to sleep at night, but I am not faced with that torment.

Interview with Trae Golden (a kid who played against Kendrick in the Atlanta AAU circuit.)

A: "We were roommates on AAU trips, and we're suitemates now. Things haven't really changed at all. There are still times we go in each other's room - and having Tobias with us now - we're all there for each other in our times of need. You know you have your ups and downs when you're a freshman. We like to just chill out and play video games. We play Madden (football) and we like to go see the movies, go to the volleyball games. Just hang out. None of us are big partyers.''

Even Tyler Smith getting kicked off, they had a bottle of liquor that was empty and Big Brian had some weed...if you think they would win a gun battle with Kareem Cooper and Shawne Williams you are crazy.

Potential Memphis basketball transfer Mbakwe enters pre-trial intervention program
???

If you could read, the case against Mbakwe was so weak, the prosecutor had to eventually admit defeat. Everybody knows the guy who really did what Mbakwe was accused of used to play at Kentucky (hint, he's no longer there). Either way, what does it matter? He is at Minnesota, so go accuse Tubby of not caring about character.

Tony Harris lives in Memphis right now, you dolt.

Absolutely. In fact, I saw him having dinner with the aforementioned Gary Parrish just a few nights ago.

In regards to the Memphis media not being giving time to the Kendrick situation. A couple of articles were written, it got media attention on the evening news, and it was discussed at length on Wolken's, Parrish's, and Vernon's radio shows. Wolken is definitely no fan of UT or Pearl for sure and seems to enjoy railing on either, but he rails plenty on the University of Memphis (usually pissing of the UofM fans in the process).

I could not imagine being a UM fan, going on another teams board and posting ANYTHING man and I mean ANYTHING about ethics in sports or running a clean program....Man you would have to be so far out of touch with reality one could NEVER take you seriously....I went to several Memphis home games last year...Pastner may be alright eventually but HE has to get control of the huddle during games and he MUST get tougher....Probably will learn....

Absolutely. In fact, I saw him having dinner with the aforementioned Gary Parrish just a few nights ago.

In regards to the Memphis media not being giving time to the Kendrick situation. A couple of articles were written, it got media attention on the evening news, and it was discussed at length on Wolken's, Parrish's, and Vernon's radio shows. Wolken is definitely no fan of UT or Pearl for sure and seems to enjoy railing on either, but he rails plenty on the University of Memphis (usually pissing of the UofM fans in the process).

Exactly.

Most Memphis fans (that listen to sports talk at least) around here can't stand Wolken for his criticism of Pastner. Mostly regarding scheduling and actually called him "cowardly". The Jelan thing got plenty of run, especially on the radio though he didn't commit any crimes so I am not sure why it should be criticized.

Humdinger

The entire state would run a budget surplus if Memphis was given to Miss. We would also improve in our rankings in education, in crime statistics, in obesity, in health etc.

The Tigers do not matter. No matter how many sportwriters/lovers like GP and Wolken you have in your crap hole, your team does not matter to the rest of the country.

When you have a player who gets into altercations and threatens his teammates and your coach keeps doing a "no comment" to the media, he should be pursued for more information. He is not being pursued, because even though Kendrick was a stud recruit, very few people care about Tiger High.

Even fewer people nationally care about UT BB. When you say UT, the majority of sports fans and UT fans think in the following order:

1. Football program that used to be great.
2. Women's basketball
3. Men's basketball.

"Tiger High" has been relevant in Men's basketball since the 1970s. In every decade, the Tigers have had at least 2 Sweet Sixteen appearances, and if not for Nick Van Exel, would have a Final Four in every decade since the 70s.

Tiger High has placed a list of players too numerous to list in the NBA in the last 20 years. UT has Dale Ellis, Allan Houston, and CJ Watson.

Any college basketball expert knows and will tell you which school has a more storied tradition. Conference affiliation, city statistics, or player background makes no difference in your argument of basketball program relevance.

Even fewer people nationally care about UT BB. When you say UT, the majority of sports fans and UT fans think in the following order:

1. Football program that used to be great.
2. Women's basketball
3. Men's basketball.

"Tiger High" has been relevant in Men's basketball since the 1970s. In every decade, the Tigers have had at least 2 Sweet Sixteen appearances, and if not for Nick Van Exel, would have a Final Four in every decade since the 70s.

Tiger High has placed a list of players too numerous to list in the NBA in the last 20 years. UT has Dale Ellis, Allan Houston, and CJ Watson.

Any college basketball expert knows and will tell you which school has a more storied tradition. Conference affiliation, city statistics, or player background makes no difference in your argument of basketball program relevance.

UT has 17 national TV games this season compared to Tiger High 3. The two seasons prior were about the same. Even when your tigers were #1 for most of the season during Cal's time you could not find Tiger High on TV.

UT has 17 national TV games this season compared to Tiger High 3. The two seasons prior were about the same. Even when your tigers were #1 for most of the season during Cal's time you could not find Tiger High on TV.

:unsure:

Memphis Tigers Announce Television Schedule For Basketball|myEyewitnessNews.com, Memphis News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

The University of Memphis announced Thursday that 22 of its 31 regular season games are scheduled for television. Game times for all but three contests were also released Thursday.

The Tigers are slated to make 15 national television appearances with eight on ESPN/ESPN2 and seven on CBS College Sports. Memphis is scheduled to be on Comcast Sports Southeast (CSS) seven times. CBS College Sports could pick up the Tigers’ three C-USA road games at SMU Jan. 12, Marshall Jan. 29 and East Carolina Mar. 2 not yet scheduled for television, but that and games times for those three contests are to be determined at a later date.

They were on national TV quite often during Cal's 4 year run.

CSS and CBSS are not national. I will give you ESPN/ESPN2, which are 8 games. Cal teams were not on national TV much because of their poor schedule. Who wanted to watch Memphis vs. Rice, SMU, Tulane, USM, or TSU.

CSS and CBSS are not national. I will give you ESPN/ESPN2, which are 8 games. Cal teams were not on national TV much because of their poor schedule. Who wanted to watch Memphis vs. Rice, SMU, Tulane, USM, or TSU.

CBS College is national. It's available on a basic package on DirecTV, and honestly their coverage is great.

VN Store

Back