Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Just looked at players ranked 11-20, and it had 37 players, and 1-10 has 27. 64 players making up the Top 20
I will say the top 3 players are the top 3 players in the Class of 2023 and have been for a few years. Sadly, one is from Tennessee who to me was the best overall player in the state. No need to lump her and Mia Williams together at #2.

Definitely something EIS has to correct as it has gotten worse over the years in regards to multiple rankings. When Brentt came over from Flo and launched his rankings there was duplicate rankings but not the extreme it has been the past few rankings. A Top 100 kid now is a Top 250-300, which defeats the purpose. Nothing wrong with just slotting the kid 1-500 and let the rest take care of itself. He did get heat from Unity Johnson/Ross this past summer on rankings of the 2024 class.
How would you rate the class and the general direction of recruiting?

Reactions: Majors
How would you rate the class and the general direction of recruiting?
2023 not anywhere near the 2022 class in regards to needs/quality. At best we got solid depth players in the 3 and will be interesting to see how it plays out early based on who is ahead of them.
Recruiting is headed in the right direction, in typical Tennessee state recruiting they lost out on Danley this year and will be in good spot to get Linton next year. Linton is solid but #3 on her travel team and not getting alot of time this fall. Throws hard and markets her videos but the hype has to be seen on the field.

I'd anticipate a pitcher or two leaving so that will give them a chance to look in the portal for maybe a lefty. If I had to guess it would be one or both in Simpson/Orsini

Last edited:
2023 not anywhere near the 2022 class in regards to needs/quality. At best we got solid depth players in the 3 and will be interesting to see how it plays out early based on who is ahead of them.
Recruiting is headed in the right direction, in typical Tennessee state recruiting they lost out on Danley this year and will be in good spot to get Linton next year. Linton is solid but #3 on her travel team and not getting alot of time this fall. Throws hard and markets her videos but the hype has to be seen on the field.

I'd anticipate a pitcher or two leaving so that will give them a chance to look in the portal for maybe a lefty. If I had to guess it would be one or both in Simpson/Orsini
Myself i would expect Faw to make an impact next year. Infielder shortstop/second base type with the glove AND complete arsenal of number 5 player has to been told something on our needs!

Myself i would expect Faw to make an impact next year. Infielder shortstop/second base type with the glove AND complete arsenal of number 5 player has to been told something on our needs!

I'd would expect her come to in and compete at MI, just not sure she will knockout Donihoo (has 2 years remaining) or Pannell. Doesn't carry the same day 1 that Taylor did. No slight to Faw as she's solid.

Should be a battle between her and Mosley

If all the girls will exercise a little playing time patience then the 2025 IF could be Mosley, Faw, Pannell, and McKenna as the senior in the group.
The kryptonite to any highly ranked player. Either beat the person out or transfer to play now vs wait with patience.

Other side is the clock and being recruited over by the younger version of you.

If all the girls will exercise a little playing time patience then the 2025 IF could be Mosley, Faw, Pannell, and McKenna as the senior in the group.
The time commitment put in to today's game with today's transfer rules makes it really hard to sit more than a year or two. Go where you can play.

Numerical rankings are silly in all sports. Better to just have 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, etc.--which essentially creates tiers, which, while still subjective and
far from definitive, is much better than pretending that one prospect is the No. 9 prospect while someone else is 12; or one player is 28th and another 31. EIS may be attempting its own version of a tier system with so many players lumped into the "top 20."

Numerical rankings are silly in all sports. Better to just have 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, etc.--which essentially creates tiers, which, while still subjective and
far from definitive, is much better than pretending that one prospect is the No. 9 prospect while someone else is 12; or one player is 28th and another 31. EIS may be attempting its own version of a tier system with so many players lumped into the "top 20."
It has to be reigned in. A good way to get a better feel is state rankings much like how football/basketball do it through the bigger recruiting services. Top 10-50 players based on state size and then drill down from there in regards to seeing live at bigger showcase tournaments, Nationals etc. The travel ball coaches have too much influence on where kids get ranked with a ranking option when submitting for a player which is another element that needs to be addressed. But that being said, coaches take the easy/lazy way to recruit if you come from a brand and have a number beside your name.

Reactions: orange beard
to be fair we didn’t need much this recruiting cycle. we got solid players to fill in roles. The recreating from the karen lately has been great!!
Definitely didn’t need numbers based on last class plus portal transfers. It’ll be interesting to see who moves on and how they approach winter (wouldn’t expect transfers in) but who moves on.

Definitely didn’t need numbers based on last class plus portal transfers. It’ll be interesting to see who moves on and how they approach winter (wouldn’t expect transfers in) but who moves on.
My biggest question is what does Kiki do after this season? I believe she graduates this year but has one year of eligibility left, the last of the 5th year folks due to Covid. I hope she comes back for ‘24. Her high school class is an interesting one as she is the only one still with us: Fox-Mich St, Curran-retired, Willingham-Cent Ark, Hazelwood UT-M, McCrary-Aub, Turner-Ark, Webber-Johnson. We hit on a big one (Kiki) but missed on several.

Grace Keene?

Hopefully sick? I checked her instagram after your post and there was a picture of her and a friend on the beach with a comment of “t-minus 11 days til more nights like this” I’m hoping she was referring to Christmas Break and not leaving??? I really think her bat can help us this year.

Hopefully sick? I checked her instagram after your post and there was a picture of her and a friend on the beach with a comment of “t-minus 11 days til more nights like this” I’m hoping she was referring to Christmas Break and not leaving??? I really think her bat can help us this year.
I think if she was leaving she’d take off @vol_softball from her bio & a good amount of her UT posts. Maybe she was sick. It is that time of year.

I think if she was leaving she’d take off @vol_softball from her bio & a good amount of her UT posts. Maybe she was sick. It is that time of year.
It is for sure. Portal is wide open right now and finals have not happened. Spoke with a contact in that area who had not heard but would not be surprised do to not cracking the lineup.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
It is for sure. Portal is wide open right now and finals have not happened. Spoke with a contact in that area who had not heard but would not be surprised do to not cracking the lineup.
Hopefully as simple as being sick. I think she can be our DP this year and first backup at 1B. She jacked some balls in the fall. I know Destiny and Lair need to bat as well but would obviously rather have extra bats than not enough. But the P words are always present: (no) patience and portal

VN Store

Back