Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Caught my first glimpse of the girls today. My impressions based on today ONLY: L to R was Katie, Kiki, and Giulia, backing each L to R was Brylee, Amanda, and Jami. Amanda appeared to be quite quick with decent arm and Jami made some nice throws. No arms like Amanda Ayala but they are young. I still suspect their work at the plate will determine the corner OF spots.
Gracie and McKenna were at 1B, Taylor and Jenna split time at 2B, Camryn, Taylor, and Jenna split time at 3B, Rylie, Destiny, and Jackie took turns behind the plate. Zaida was the only player not there.
The only girl not to split time with anyone was MacKenzie at SS. Every ball, every throw, every cutoff at SS was hers. So apparently that question has been answered.
It dawned on me watching all 6 pitchers field is that we have no lefties, I guess that’s not as important in softball but I’d still like one. As a matter of fact the only leftie on the team is Giulia.
It was apparent that this is a young team and will take time to blend. Karen was discussing with them the need to communicate and talk. With Ashley M, Amanda A, Ivy, KP, Kelsey, we had veteran voices everywhere. This year not so much. But their youthful exuberance, questions, and hustle was fun to watch.

Caught my first glimpse of the girls today. My impressions based on today ONLY: L to R was Katie, Kiki, and Giulia, backing each L to R was Brylee, Amanda, and Jami. Amanda appeared to be quite quick with decent arm and Jami made some nice throws. No arms like Amanda Ayala but they are young. I still suspect their work at the plate will determine the corner OF spots.
Gracie and McKenna were at 1B, Taylor and Jenna split time at 2B, Camryn, Taylor, and Jenna split time at 3B, Rylie, Destiny, and Jackie took turns behind the plate. Zaida was the only player not there.
The only girl not to split time with anyone was MacKenzie at SS. Every ball, every throw, every cutoff at SS was hers. So apparently that question has been answered.
It dawned on me watching all 6 pitchers field is that we have no lefties, I guess that’s not as important in softball but I’d still like one. As a matter of fact the only leftie on the team is Giulia.
It was apparent that this is a young team and will take time to blend. Karen was discussing with them the need to communicate and talk. With Ashley M, Amanda A, Ivy, KP, Kelsey, we had veteran voices everywhere. This year not so much. But their youthful exuberance, questions, and hustle was fun to watch.
Did you see any of the pitchers pitch today?

Oklahoma and Texas coming sooner rather than later. Probably be in Sec by next year. Talk about a killer softball conference.

Will not be next season. Might be a year earlier than the currently scheduled 2025, but it won’t be next school year, I know that for certain.

Tier 1: Alabama, OU, Florida, Arkansas, Texas
Tier 2: Missouri, Georgia, LSU
Tier 3: Kentucky, MSU, Tennessee
Tier 4: Auburn, Ole Miss, Texas A&M

Thought it was interesting after talking about her the other day.
she’s in town often, her pitching coach is in Knoxville too. She’s making the tours and will get interest by her speed and plays for "the brand" for the time being that they are following. UT is doing pitching sessions bi-weekly right now and they other lefty I mentioned previously from the 25 class (Plumlee) is there too.

Last edited:
Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Observations from today’s game ONLY: this team I think can be good with early patience. Taylor hit 2 HRs, Destiny 1, and Jenna almost had one. Taylor played a nice 2B and better 3B later on, which is her natural position. Guilia, Kiki, and Katie were LF to RF, switched corners from last week. IF was Zaida, Mackenzie, Taylor, and McKenna. Rylie C and Destiny DP. Ryleigh, Nicola, and Payton each tossed 2 innings. All threw strikes and Payton threw 4-5 Ks. Charli went 3-2 on a few batters and gave up a dinger. It’s 21-1 in the 8th right now. The second lineup was Jami, Brylee CF, and Katie and IF Taylor, Amanda at SS, Jenna, and Gracie at 1B with Jackie at C. Camryn must be injured because all 9 other freshmen got plenty of innings and ABs. Karlyn went in top of 9th, was bringing heat but walked 3 and gave up 2 run single and Pfeiffer ran themselves out the inning. 22-3 to the top of the 10th. Karlyn walked 2 in the 10th and gave up run scoring single. Final 22-4. Probably pressing, she will be fine. I am cautiously optimistic. A very young team. Will be fun to watch, a lot of youthful energy. Really like Taylor, Destiny, and Payton after seeing them just once. I want to see us against Duke in a couple of weeks.

Observations from today’s game ONLY: this team I think can be good with early patience. Taylor hit 2 HRs, Destiny 1, and Jenna almost had one. Taylor played a nice 2B and better 3B later on, which is her natural position. Guilia, Kiki, and Katie were LF to RF, switched corners from last week. IF was Zaida, Mackenzie, Taylor, and McKenna. Rylie C and Destiny DP. Ryleigh, Nicola, and Payton each tossed 2 innings. All threw strikes and Payton threw 4-5 Ks. Charli went 3-2 on a few batters and gave up a dinger. It’s 21-1 in the 8th right now. The second lineup was Jami, Brylee CF, and Katie and IF Taylor, Amanda at SS, Jenna, and Gracie at 1B with Jackie at C. Camryn must be injured because all 9 other freshmen got plenty of innings and ABs. Karlyn went in top of 9th, was bringing heat but walked 3 and gave up 2 run single and Pfeiffer ran themselves out the inning. 22-3 to the top of the 10th. Karlyn walked 2 in the 10th and gave up run scoring single. Final 22-4. Probably pressing, she will be fine. I am cautiously optimistic. A very young team. Will be fun to watch, a lot of youthful energy. Really like Taylor, Destiny, and Payton after seeing them just once. I want to see us against Duke in a couple of weeks.
Good report.
Not too concerned about Pickens at this point, she’ll have to adjust to better hitters not being fooled by her speed and bad pitches. That was what got her late in PGF was more disciplined kids having better at bats and making her work. Same for the PGF All Star game. Interesting that Charli got the first nod. I don’t know if Camryn is hurt I have not heard. I just think she’ll have a hard time getting on the field with what is in front of her position wise. Solid player/bat better 2B/3B option with her feet.

Friday will be interesting game as Tech is youthful in the circle but has experience in other areas.

Good report.
Not too concerned about Pickens at this point, she’ll have to adjust to better hitters not being fooled by her speed and bad pitches. That was what got her late in PGF was more disciplined kids having better at bats and making her work. Same for the PGF All Star game. Interesting that Charli got the first nod. I don’t know if Camryn is hurt I have not heard. I just think she’ll have a hard time getting on the field with what is in front of her position wise. Solid player/bat better 2B/3B option with her feet.

Friday will be interesting game as Tech is youthful in the circle but has experience in other areas.
I think Karen’s plan was to give all 5 pitchers 2 innings and hold Ashley out. Not sure if there was anything to the order. Maybe it was just freshmen went last? Was in dead center field and saw that most all of Karlyn misses were low, 6 inches higher and she would have struck out both sides. Both run scoring singles on 3-2 pitches. You are correct, high school studs have to learn just speed won’t work and college players have better discipline and won’t chase as much. Can’t get overly excited about Pfeiffer results but Taylor looks to be the real deal and Destiny has pop. We’ll see what Tenn Tech shows us.

Reactions: Majors
I think Karen’s plan was to give all 5 pitchers 2 innings and hold Ashley out. Not sure if there was anything to the order. Maybe it was just freshmen went last? Was in dead center field and saw that most all of Karlyn misses were low, 6 inches higher and she would have struck out both sides. Both run scoring singles on 3-2 pitches. You are correct, high school studs have to learn just speed won’t work and college players have better discipline and won’t chase as much. Can’t get overly excited about Pfeiffer results but Taylor looks to be the real deal and Destiny has pop. We’ll see what Tenn Tech shows us.

I wouldn’t throw Ashley at all this fall. Let her rest as much as possible as you know what you got with her when she’s healthy. I’m sure it’ll rotate again for Friday with Nicola or Payton and then younger ones.

Tech will be overmatched but have some kids that will compete in the box. They are young in the circle as they don’t bring back starters I believe. Interesting matchup test will be the lefty freshman from Knoxville. Not a big kid, slightly bigger than Edmundson but can spin it as good as anyone.

Duke will be the game where you figure out if you’re playing or sitting in the spring. If you produce that game or compete you’ll have a good winter break.

VN Store

Back