Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

The game of softball just wasn't as high scoring when Monica was here as it is now. The bats make it much easier to hit the ball now. Teams hit many more extra base hits and homers now than they did then.

The game of softball just wasn't as high scoring when Monica was here as it is now. The bats make it much easier to hit the ball now. Teams hit many more extra base hits and homers now than they did then.

Actually, I think the pitcher's mound was closer to home plate when Monica was at Tennessee than it is now, wasn't it? Batters definitely benefited from having a tad more time to see the ball.

I don't think it is the bats as much as it is the ability to scout pitchers (and hitters) that didn't exist back then. In Monica's day, even the best teams only had 6-7 televised games and you couldn't pick those up out of market. If you wanted to scout a pitcher, you were lucky to have a couple of games to break down.

Now, hitters and hitting coaches have virtually every pitch a pitcher has thrown cataloged by situation and pitch type in full HD. Teams do extensive scouting reports and have all of that film available to every player on a tablet at all times.

I'd also add that players like Monica and Cat Osterman were once-a-generation talents that remained dominant on the game's highest stage for two decades. I don't see anyone in the game today that is close to either of those two.

Actually, I think the pitcher's mound was closer to home plate when Monica was at Tennessee than it is now, wasn't it? Batters definitely benefited from having a tad more time to see the ball.

The pitching rubber (no mound ... not elevated area in softball) changed from 40' to 43' a long time before Monica was in college. Like in the early 90s, I think.

The pitching rubber (no mound ... not elevated area in softball) changed from 40' to 43' a long time before Monica was in college. Like in the early 90s, I think.

Thanks for the correction. My memory isn't what it used to be!

Sure was good to see the Lady Vols laid it on the Gators this weekend. :D

I don't think it is the bats as much as it is the ability to scout pitchers (and hitters) that didn't exist back then. In Monica's day, even the best teams only had 6-7 televised games and you couldn't pick those up out of market. If you wanted to scout a pitcher, you were lucky to have a couple of games to break down.

Now, hitters and hitting coaches have virtually every pitch a pitcher has thrown cataloged by situation and pitch type in full HD. Teams do extensive scouting reports and have all of that film available to every player on a tablet at all times.

I'd also add that players like Monica and Cat Osterman were once-a-generation talents that remained dominant on the game's highest stage for two decades. I don't see anyone in the game today that is close to either of those two.
In general they called a much wider strike zone then.

Reactions: volman128

Absolutely right: The best pitchers in the nation pitched huge innings--would start 2/3 games--and dominated hitters. In those days, as you say, there wasn't much hitting in the game at all. It was like the early days of women's basketball when nobody could shoot.

Its not so much the bats, its the players whose hand the bat is in. Hitters are so much better now than they ever have been. The great hitters from the past would still be great today, there is just more of them in today's game.

We've had teams that had a higher team batting average than this team. Last years team had a higher average. It has been a while since I've seen so many players getting the big hit like we are with runners on base. Were getting the big hits when we need them and scoring a lot of runs. Being able to deliver two out hits and hits with runners on has been pleasing to watch this season. Now if Rogers can stay healthy we'll have a 1-2 pitching combination that could take us a long way this season.

VN Store

Back