Tennessee Lady Vol News

Someone looked it up the other day and the league leader in turnover margin last season was Auburn at just under five more t.o.s forced per game. Highly unlikely anyone doubles that next year in an even tougher league.
Here it is again. Marshall averaged +7.9 turnover margin, good for #3 in the nation. The only P5 team to avg 8 was West Virgina. Auburn led the SEC at +4.9.

NCAA College Women's Basketball DI current team Stats | NCAA.com

All time TO margin records (page 44 of attached record book)

fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/2023/D1.pdf

Last edited:
Rick Barnes asked about Kim Caldwell at the Big Orange Caravan.

“Well, I’ve really enjoyed time with Kim. One, she’s going to be successful and I can learn from her as much as talk about wisdom. I think you can feel her passion. You can. I’ve seen what she’s done in a short time with what she’s got going right now, the way that they spent the spring here. But I’ve really enjoyed time with her and I think she’s all — this has obviously been new to her — but the way she’s handled everything has been really remarkable.

“I think it just shows you that Danny White knew what he was looking for when he went out there and made a great hire. She’s a basketball person and you can tell from our last trip. We watched a little film together and were talking about it. You can just tell from her insight, she knows what she’s doing and like I said, I love talking basketball with coaches and I think she and I will will end up spending time talking basketball and like I said, I think I can learn from her.”

Come on John,,,how can continuing the rivalry under two coaches that were in over their heads good for TN?
During one of the hottest run (the connies) in basketball history
Yes, lets go out and show how weak our coaches really were
what a bunghole way of thinking

One thing to consider is that just as we have difficulty knowing how Coach Kim's style of off/def play will translate to the higher level of talent running it,,,Geno and the connies will have just as little perception of how it will go,,,much will be learned early,,,not from the cupcakes,,but from the ranked opponents.

Last edited:
Come on John,,,how can continuing the rivalry under two coaches that were in over their heads good for TN?
During one of the hottest run (the connies) in basketball history
Yes, lets go out and show how weak our coaches really were
what a bunghole way of thinking

One thing to consider is that just as we have difficulty knowing how Coach Kim's style of off/def play will translate to the higher level of talent running it,,,Geno and the connies will have just as little perception of how it will go,,,much will be learned early,,,not from the cupcakes,,but from the ranked opponents.
You continue the rivalry because it's good for the game and eventually you would get the kids to compete with the other program as long as the structure was in place.

Just like JuJu decided to not only stay home but to go to USC to revive their program, you had 2 players (Nyla and Finley) who wanted to come and do the same for this program. You want to play the best period. John is going to be John, just like some of the posters here, accept them for who they are, and deal with them accordingly.

You continue the rivalry because it's good for the game and eventually you would get the kids to compete with the other program as long as the structure was in place.

Just like JuJu decided to not only stay home but to go to USC to revive their program, you had 2 players (Nyla and Finley) who wanted to come and do the same for this program. You want to play the best period. John is going to be John, just like some of the posters here, accept them for who they are, and deal with them accordingly.
Cora Hall is not John. She's a whip smart, very knowledgable beat reporter with the most access to the LV program of anyone not in the AD. She knows this program and she knows the SEC, been following both for a living the last few years. Forget John, you can believe what Cora says. And in this case, she says the same thing John does. As does Toppmeyer. They're not all wrong.

This crucial year, I don't want the LVs doing a damn thing bc it's "good for the game". Need to concentrate on whats best to get the program out of the mud they're stuck in. More beatdowns on tv that reinforce the old image aren't good for either IMO.

Cora Hall is not John. She's a whip smart, very knowledgable beat reporter with the most access to the LV program of anyone not in the AD. She knows this program and she knows the SEC, been following both for a living the last few years. Forget John, you can believe what Cora says. And in this case, she says the same thing John does. As does Toppmeyer. They're not all wrong.

This crucial year, I don't want the LVs doing a damn thing bc it's "good for the game". Need to concentrate on whats best to get the program out of the mud they're stuck in. More beatdowns on tv that reinforce the old image aren't good for either IMO.

She must have retweeted you once.

If you scared say you scared! Sometimes you need to be beat to show you can fight back. I don't ever want my coach or my players afraid to play anyone.

If memory serves me correctly, the last time we played them at the half it wasn't a beat down and he went on a rant about how he hates playing in Tennessee because we are allowed to cheat or get all the calls.

This is the big leagues, let's act like it. She's not at Marshall anymore.

If you scared say you scared! Sometimes you need to be beat to show you can fight back. I don't ever want my coach or my players afraid to play anyone.

If memory serves me correctly, the last time we played them at the half it wasn't a beat down and he went on a rant about how he hates playing in Tennessee because we are allowed to cheat or get all the calls.

This is the big leagues, let's act like it. She's not at Marshall anymore.

Agree to disagree. Also, this is water under the bridge bc it's happening. But not a good idea.

I'll admit I'm scared. Scared starting this coach's tenure with yet another loss on national tv will set in stone once again the rep we're trying so hard to shed now. People outside Knoxville aren't going to look hard or think long before saying "same ole Tennessee". No points for bravery of scheduling nor moral victories.

I base alot of this on the last UConn played here which you referenced and which I saw live. Score may have been relatively close at first but truth was we were never in that game. After all the hype and the great crowd and atmosphere, it was a bitter disappointment that I still feel to this day. Air was out of the balloon the minute the game started That was the moment I realized how far behind the program really was.

There are plenty of tough OOC opponents to provide early tests already - Colorado, Fla St, Iowa and at least six preseason top 25s in our own league. The big leagues are coming, we don't have to invite the biggest of the big into our own house for the tiny possibility of shocking the world. I'm in favor of giving the new coaches time and space to be successful. False bravado not needed.

Last edited:

Nyla and Finley "wanted"
You know nothing re these two
I'm smilin

Nyla and Finley "wanted"
You know nothing re these two
I'm smilin
I know a lot more than you think I do, Keep smiling and begging on X for a coaching spot.

Like I said, they wanted to be Lady Vols and we was not going to have to throw $ at them to get them, they were already ours.

The different between you and I, I am not sending messages in coaches and players DM's or Emailing/Calling coaches, parents and etc. I'm in the same gyms when coaches are scouting talent and I never see Coach Jumper there. Your claim to fame was a failed attempt with MeMe Jackson, a brief allstar coaching of Karoline and a picture you cherish with your life and good ole Maddie Hawk that you coached up so well that she ended up at Wofford.

You should be the last one suggesting anything around here.

You want to help this staff, start an AAU organization (or get a high school gig at least) and introduce them to the talent you've landed and developed, be the feeder program to them.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. Also, this is water under the bridge bc it's happening. But not a good idea.

I'll admit I'm scared. Scared starting this coach's tenure with yet another loss on national tv will set in stone once again the rep we're trying so hard to shed now. People outside Knoxville aren't going to look hard or think long before saying "same ole Tennessee". No points for bravery of scheduling nor moral victories.

I base alot of this on the last UConn played here which you referenced and which I saw live. Score may have been relatively close at first but truth was we were never in that game. After all the hype and the great crowd and atmosphere, it was a bitter disappointment that I still feel to this day. Air was out of the balloon the minute the game started That was the moment I realized how far behind the program really was.

There are plenty of tough OOC opponents to provide early tests already - Colorado, Fla St, Iowa and at least six preseason top 25s in our own league. The big leagues are coming, we don't have to invite the biggest of the big into our own house for the tiny possibility of shocking the world. I'm in favor of giving the new coaches time and space to be successful. False bravado not needed.
So give her time, got it!

I know a lot more than you think I do, Keep smiling and begging on X for a coaching spot.

Like I said, they wanted to be Lady Vols and we wanted going to have to throw $ at them to get them, they were already ours.

The different between you and I, I am not sending messages in coaches and players DM's or Emailing/Calling coaches, parents and etc. I'm in the same gyms when coaches are scouting talent and I never see Coach Jumper there. Your claim to fame was a failed attempt with MeMe Jackson, a brief allstar coaching of Karoline and a picture you cherish with your life and good ole Maddie Hawk that you coached up so well that she ended up at Wofford.

You want to help this staff, start an AAU organization (or get a high school gig at least) and introduce them to the talent you've landed and developed, be the feeder program to them.
feel better...bless his heart
I have the knowledge and ability to coach in that level...if you felt you did,,,you'd be equally aggressive about doing so

but,, you're watching me
keep watching
Bless your heart

Last edited:
feel better...bless his heart
I have the knowledge and ability to coach in that level...if you felt you did,,,you'd be equally aggressive about doing so

but,, you're watching me
keep watching
Bless your heart
I'll continue to send players their way, like I have and watch you continue to leave the door open begging!

Be blessed.

How good is Finley??

Dawn Staley took a beat down to UConn and now look at South Carolina.

Like I said, they wanted to be Lady Vols and we was not going to have to throw $ at them to get them, they were already ours.

What aau team can be a feeder program to Lady Vols since you are in the gym supposedly?

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I might have been more willing to buy the argument for keeping Kellie because of Brooks/Chastain if she hadn’t already failed to get Horston and Jackson past the Sweet 16.

It’s not worth sitting through 3 more years of mid basketball waiting for them, IMO, and obviously Danny White agreed. (And besides, there’s no guarantee they would’ve stayed committed anyway.)

VN Store

Back