Tennessee Lady Vol News

I guess yall skipped basic math in Storrs. If I take twice as many shots as u do in the same time frame for a full game, I will double the shots u take. It's not rocket science. Teams don't full court press in the NBA for a full game. Yet, the teams thata take quicker shots, get up more shots than teams that use the entire shot clock
taking quick shots in a game does NOT mean you are getting more shots than your opponent. If a football scores a touchdown on an 80 yard pass play that takes 20 seconds and the other team comes back and scores a touchdown with an 8-minute drive, it is still 7 to 7 and one touchdown each. Same in basketball if the variables of turnovers and offensive rebounds are the same. The speed at which your score doesn't matter if the other team matches you in possessions and scores at the same percentages on their possessions. If the reverse was true, why was it such a winning approach for Dean Smith at NC to slow down the offense at the end of the game. This worked even if the other team was taking their shots quickly as long as NC also scored on their long possessions.

My only concern is that CKC’s formula did not work well against North Carolina State. The saving grace is that CKC has much better players at Tennessee than she had at Marshall, and I believe she is intelligent and understands the hand she has been dealt to play.
Well nc state was a top ten team. What would you expect? I doubt the lady vols improved on this in their meeting.

taking quick shots in a game does NOT mean you are getting more shots than your opponent. If a football scores a touchdown on an 80 yard pass play that takes 20 seconds and the other team comes back and scores a touchdown with an 8-minute drive, it is still 7 to 7 and one touchdown each. Same in basketball if the variables of turnovers and offensive rebounds are the same. The speed at which your score doesn't matter if the other team matches you in possessions and scores at the same percentages on their possessions. If the reverse was true, why was it such a winning approach for Dean Smith at NC to slow down the offense at the end of the game. This worked even if the other team was taking their shots quickly as long as NC also scored on their long possessions.
I’ve been reading this and laughing, it doesn’t matter how fast you shoot, now if u are getting offensive rebounds and steals u will get more shots, otherwise everything is equal.

24WBKB_Recap_Championship.jpg

Women's Basketball 3/11/2024 5:53:41 PM

Marshall Wins 2024 Hercules Tires Sun Belt Conference Women’s Basketball Championship​

Story Links​

Box Score | Photo Gallery | Championship Central

PENSACOLA, Fla. – Marshall captured the 2024 Hercules Tires Sun Belt Women’s Basketball Championship in a thrilling 95-92 overtime win over James Madison on Monday in the Pensacola Bay Center.

With the win, Marshall will make its first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 1997 after earning the Sun Belt Conference's automatic bid.

It continues a record-setting year for Marshall, who is now 26-6 in the first season under head coach Kim Caldwell.

The Herd got huge efforts out of several different players to lead to the victory. Meredith Maier notched team-highs of 20 points and seven rebounds while Aislynn Hayes added 19 points. Breanna Campbell added 15 points while Abby Beeman notched a double-double with 10 points and 11 assists and Mahogany Matthews added 10 points and five blocks.

Marshall forced James Madison into 39 turnovers, which led to 48 of the Herd's 95 points in the contest. The Herd also grabbed 33 offensive rebounds against the nation's top defensive rebounding team, which also led to 25 second-chance points that helped offset a tough shooting performance.

In overtime, Marshall got a pair of huge shots from Hayes – a 3-pointer with 2:02 left that gave the Herd the lead and then a jumper through contact as the shot clock expired with 29 seconds left to make it 92-88.

It was a gutsy overtime effort that saw Campbell play the entire session and direct the offense after Beeman fouled out late in regulation.

Marshall trailed late in the third quarter, but used the momentum of a three-pointer by Maier to get its offense going. Sydni Scott’s bucket at the horn tied the game at 52 going into the fourth quarter. The Herd used that momentum to its advantage, scoring the first eight points in the fourth and continued its offensive surge throughout with Maier scoring 13 of her 20 points in the final regulation period, which set up the electric finish.

Marshall's Sun Belt Tournament championship was one for the ages as the Herd shattered several long-standing Sun Belt Conference records along the way, including the following:

- Most Points in a Tournament: 287
- Most 3-point Field Goals Made: 30
- Most 3-point Field Goal Attempts: 96
- Most Steals: 44
- Most Points in a Game: 116
- Most Points in a Half: 62
- Most Field Goals Made in a Game: 47
- Most 3-pt Field Goals in a Game: 13
HERE ARE THE SUN BELT TOURNAMENT RECORDS SET BY MARSHALL.

I just did the math above. You're leaving out that possessions alternate, so the team shooting in 20 seconds is speeding up the overall turnaround time for possessions for BOTH teams, not just the faster team. That strategy will give both teams more possessions. The team that uses more shot clock will get the ball back sooner because the faster team time of possession will be shorter, so more possessions will be available. Once you add in rebounds and turnovers, there's an opportunity to take possessions away from the other team, or to take more shots during the same possession, and that's how you can get a shot discrepancy. But shooting quicker doesn't mean you'll automatically get more possessions or shot attempts.
Bless you for your patience… 😉
🧮

Let's see if this can end this back-and-forth for good...

5:00-4:40: Team A shoots (1)
4:40-4:13: Team B shoots (1)
4:13-3:53: Team A shoots (2)
3:53-3:26: Team B shoot (2)
3:26-3:06: Team A shoots (3)
3:06-2:39: Team B shoots (3)
2:39-2:19: Team A shoots (4)
2:19-1:52: Team B shoots (4)
1:52-1:32: Team A shoots (5)
1:32-1:05: Team B shoots (5)
1:05-0:45: Team A shoots (6)
0:45-0:18: Team B shoots (6)
0:18-0:00: Team A shoots (7)

So, Team A got one more shot, just because they had the ball first and the 5 minutes ended. But all things being equal, it's the same amount of shots and possessions. To Amb's point, the possessions still alternate, regardless of how fast one team or the other is shooting the ball.
Maffs. Dey r hard… 🤣😇
The trick is recognizing possessions are cyclic in nature and you cannot base possessions based on FGA. That’s where this conversation got off the tracks. Possession will always alternate, exceptions being technical fouls.

To answer your question, they would take the same amount of shots in a game against each other. Providing factors such as turnovers, rebounding and fouls are not included.
Would a team that took a shot every 20 seconds take more shots than a team, in DIFFERENT game, which took 27 seconds to take a shot, all other factors being equal ?
Yes.
But then your comparing different games entirely.
In the same game one team can shoot as fast as they want. The faster they shoot the quicker the other team gets the ball.
It's not like team A is left out alone for a half (20 minutes) to see how many shots they can take. Then team B gets 20 minutes to see how many shots they can take. In that scenario, if team A took a shot every 20 seconds it would take more shots than the team that took a shot every 27 seconds. But the game isn't played like that.
Because possession is alternated, the team's have an equal amount of possessions. All other factors being equal.
…don’t bogart that joint, my friend. Pass it over, to meee.

Last edited:
IF we look at the play-by-play at the yahoo site,
Marshall gets "team rebounds" at 9:11, 7:52, 5:01, 2:30, 1:25, 0:43, and 0:29

VT gets a "team rebound" at 5:59.
They also get one at 3:59, but that one is between free throws, so it's automatic.
==========
EDITS: Times are for the 4th quarter
==========
If the shot fails to hit the rim or backboard, is it not eligible to be a personal rebound?
Or if it does, but bounces X number of times before it is recovered, is it not eligible to be a personal rebound?

Last edited:
Here I am, the MARSHALL grad again, to post some more info about KIM CALDWELL. I continue to be intrigued by all the statistical info relating to MARSHALL stats and games, mostly about WAKE FORREST and VIRGINIA TECH. I know it has been difficult to get info on MARSHALL'S games this year so I am here to help in that regard. I would suggest that the games you ought to watch are the QUARTERFINAL, SEMIFINAL, and SUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES which MARSHALL won. The SUN BELT CHAMPIONSHIP GAME is the one game in particular you all ought to see. It is an ALL- TIME ESPN CLASSIC GAME. THE STATS for that game are actually UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!! MARSHALL shot the ball 50 more times than JAMES MADISON. The other stats are just as incredible. I won't spoil the whole bit but MARSHALL won it in OVERTIME. It was not unusual for MARSHALL'S undersized lineup to outrebound their opponents on the offensive boards. In one game, they did it to the tune of 33 rebounds. This is why DANNY WHITE picked her. But I want to tell you something else about her, KIM CALDWELL said that she preferred for her team to be behind rather than ahead. She said she was very comfortable being DOWN BY 8 POINTS!!! Imagine that. And she wasn't kidding because I cannot count the number of games MARSHALL was behind by 10 to 15 points this season. And I have already talked about the 26 turnovers forced each game and this was a team that though they shot more threes than anybody, they also missed a whole lot of them. In those games they scored about 80 points or so. When they hit the threes, they would score over 90 or 100. Give her a chance guys. SHE WILL TRUST HER PLAYERS. Why don't you do the same?
NO good coach would want to play from being down!!! That is just dumb!

If you’ll watch the interview the question was specific to that situation. She was asked if she was comfortable being behind in that situation. She stated she had no issue with that and she would rather have to play defense and win from behind than defend a small lead.

She never said she was just ok playing from behind all the time.

What a stupid statement. I did not see anywhere that she said she would like to be down by any number of points in a game. I like the fact that she is not afraid of being down during the game. Look at how many times Barns has been down in a game and came back to win. The good thing is good coaches do no panic when they are down and find a way together back in the game.

Reactions: LV renaissance
What a stupid statement. I did not see anywhere that she said she would like to be down by any number of points in a game. I like the fact that she is not afraid of being down during the game. Look at how many times Barns has been down in a game and came back to win. The good thing is good coaches do no panic when they are down and find a way together back in the game.
You are absolutely right.. Good coaches dont panic!

Reactions: LV renaissance

VN Store

Back