Tennessee Lady Vol News

I don’t agree with this at all….Arkansas does not run a similar offense to us… we do not intend to just jack up bad shots for the sake of shooting.Here are the only facts that we have to go on:

1. She improved several players 3 point percentage in one year.
2. In one year at Marshall… her team improved to 43% FG, 34% 3pt% from 40% FG, and 30% 3pt% the year before.
3. She was picked to finish 9th and lost her best player after 6 games.
4. She improved at Marshall from 17-14 9-9 in conference to 26-7 17-1 in conference.
5. At Glenville State…. she went 33-3 her last year and the team fell to 18-11 without her.
6. The year before she got there… Glenville State went 17-12 and improved to 24-6 in her first year.

The challenge gets tougher but she has proven she can coach. She will be running a sped up pro offense where she will play 5 out to open up the middle trying to get the three most efficient shots… 3pt… FT…. and lay ups…. We probably see many mid range shots in this offense. Go Lady Vols!
Agree because they got to the free throw line a lot. The plan will be to get a shot early in the shot clock, but it will be a designed play to get a good one.

Agree because they got to the free throw line a lot. The plan will be to get a shot early in the shot clock, but it will be a designed play to get a good one.
I think it will definitely become that. But that isn't what the Wake Forest game was. It was many desperation wacky shots heaved in a hurry at about 20 seconds.

My post only addressed the concept of quicker shots leading to more possessions than the opposition (they don't) and nothing else. I even specified that turnovers, fouls and rebounds were even, in the example that I used.
Quicker shots does lead to more possessions. It's the exact reason why slow pace teams want to slow the game down. To minimize possessions. If you're taking 1 shot every 40 seconds and I'm taking 2 shots every 40 seconds, I'm going to get up more shots than you. Rebounds and turnovers can be even like u suggested and I will still get up more shots because I'm taking more shots in the same amount of time that you're taking 1 shot.

I think it will definitely become that. But that isn't what the Wake Forest game was. It was many desperation wacky shots heaved in a hurry at about 20 seconds.
The talent on that team was wacky picking them to finish ninth in that league was a understandable expectation. I'll just say that sometimes a team like that can make shots look bad and I am sure there were some forced ones in that game, but a lot of good looks that they just couldn't shoot well enough to make. In the end they got what they wanted 82 chances to score of which they scored 59 points. How bad is that it is horrible.

I agree the entire point is the team shooting it in 20 seconds gets 16 more shots per game. I don't care about possessions. time of possession, etc only how many times I have a chance to score. The new coach plays a 24 second clock and tries to get the opponent to play a 30 second clock. This results is more opportunities to score and that is the entire point nothing else matters. This is how she creates more opportunities to score more than any other variable. She wants to win the turnovers and rebounding but that didn't happen that often at Marshall. They only had a plus three turn over advantage and a minus one in rebounding. They got up 2371 shots to their opponents 1971..

This was mostly done using the shot clock.
Your conclusion is wrong as demonstrated ad nauseam.
Shooting early in the shot clock alone does not give you more possessions than your opponent in that particular game. I used the extreme example of one team taking a shot every 10 seconds and it's opponent taking one every 20 seconds. If you don't include other factors (rebounding, turnovers and fouls) both teams will take the SAME amount of shots, 2 per minute. One team will have "possession" twice as long as the other. But they will each have the same number of individual "possessions".
Turnovers, rebounding and fouls effect possessions and field goals attempted, when compared to your opponent, in a game.
You can lead a horse to water...

I thought we had more talent than every SEC team except two. She was overly ambitious in her non conference scheduling which usually found us needing to fight for our life when the SEC season rolled around. No SEC team excepting two were winning more conference games, but they were stacking up the wins in the non conference playing teams they knew they could beat. So you could say we were third in talent in the SEC and that is not acceptable at Tennessee.
We may be fifth or sixth in talent in this coming season and so the non conference will be a factor cause again 10 SEC wins is probably going to be the high mark unless this system somehow proves to make a difference.

Second or third in talent in the SEC. Only sources people use in college sports for preseason rankings and predictions are HS rankings, awards, stats etc. So even with a possible 5-7 preseason prediction, this team is way more talented. On paper, they have some of the most established players in the SEC.

The players that Coach Caldwell has added in less than a month from the portal all bring skill and experience in big games. Throughout their career they have played in many highly anticipated ranked P5 conference/tournament games.

Arkansas throughout Spencer career has been one of the fastest starting SEC teams in non-conference and they have won their fair share of games against ranked teams in non-conference.
Their guards usually finish the season playing strong but haven’t gotten much help from the post players in SEC play.

Alyssa Latham comes in as one of the best forwards in WBB. She can average a double double in the SEC. With Alyssa Latham, Talaysia Cooper, Samara Spencer, Kaniya Boyd, and Lazaria Spearman playing for the first time at UT they will give this team a different look and cause problems for conference foes that haven’t faced a UT team with this much overall athleticism. Since Jordan Horston which seems like forever, we haven’t seen these kind of aggressive momentum changing plays on Rocky Top. Lazaria and Alyssa were making these plays as young players on the big stage.

Then the clutch gene.. just imagine that for a freshman on the big stage!

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
I don’t agree with this at all….Arkansas does not run a similar offense to us… we do not intend to just jack up bad shots for the sake of shooting.Here are the only facts that we have to go on:

1. She improved several players 3 point percentage in one year.
2. In one year at Marshall… her team improved to 43% FG, 34% 3pt% from 40% FG, and 30% 3pt% the year before.
3. She was picked to finish 9th and lost her best player after 6 games.
4. She improved at Marshall from 17-14 9-9 in conference to 26-7 17-1 in conference.
5. At Glenville State…. she went 33-3 her last year and the team fell to 18-11 without her.
6. The year before she got there… Glenville State went 17-12 and improved to 24-6 in her first year.

The challenge gets tougher but she has proven she can coach. She will be running a sped up pro offense where she will play 5 out to open up the middle trying to get the three most efficient shots… 3pt… FT…. and lay ups…. We probably see many mid range shots in this offense. Go Lady Vols!
I don't think it's doom and gloom, but it would be a shock if her system clicked in year 1 with most of the inherited players. Theoretically, this kind of offense suits someone like Tess Darby where the constant ball and player motion means that she'll get more open and less predictable shots. The downside is her conditioning and overall athletic ability to thrive in this system.

I haven't seen tape on Latham or Spearman yet to know if they have midrange/face up games, but that is a must-have skillset if you're going 5 out. Otherwise, no one will guard a post player that is no threat from 15 feet out.

Quicker shots does lead to more possessions. It's the exact reason why slow pace teams want to slow the game down. To minimize possessions. If you're taking 1 shot every 40 seconds and I'm taking 2 shots every 40 seconds, I'm going to get up more shots than you. Rebounds and turnovers can be even like u suggested and I will still get up more shots because I'm taking more shots in the same amount of time that you're taking 1 shot.
More shots if you shoot quickly than if used more of the clock, yes. But not more shots than your opponent in the same game. This concept seems to elude more than I suspected.
If you shoot faster, your opponent has the ball sooner.
In another post I used the extreme example of team A taking a shot every 10 seconds and their opponent, team B, taking a shot every 20 seconds.
Every minute each team will take 2 shots. Not counting other factors such as rebounding, turnovers and fouls, each team will have the same amount of possessions, at the end of the game. And that would be more possessions than a game where the teams used the entire clock.
But team A is not playing those teams. We're looking at the effect shooting quickly has within a single game.
PS. I'm going to have to grade on a very sharp curve.

Second or third in talent in the SEC. Only sources people use in college sports for preseason rankings and predictions are HS rankings, awards, stats etc. So even with a possible 5-7 preseason prediction, this team is way more talented. On paper, they have some of the most established players in the SEC.

The players that Coach Caldwell has added in less than a month from the portal all bring skill and experience in big games. Throughout their career they have played in many highly anticipated ranked P5 conference/tournament games.

Arkansas throughout Spencer career has been one of the fastest starting SEC teams in non-conference and they have won their fair share of games against ranked teams in non-conference.
Their guards usually finish the season playing strong but haven’t gotten much help from the post players in SEC play.

Alyssa Latham comes in as one of the best forwards in WBB. She can average a double double in the SEC. With Alyssa Latham, Talaysia Cooper, Samara Spencer, Kaniya Boyd, and Lazaria Spearman playing for the first time at UT they will give this team a different look and cause problems for conference foes that haven’t faced a UT team with this much overall athleticism. Since Jordan Horston which seems like forever, we haven’t seen these kind of aggressive momentum changing plays on Rocky Top. Lazaria and Alyssa were making these plays as young players on the big stage.

Then the clutch gene.. just imagine that for a freshman on the big stage!

That UConn block made me evil laugh like the Grinch, I love it!

I don't think it's doom and gloom, but it would be a shock if her system clicked in year 1 with most of the inherited player
IMO an even bigger problem is that the top half of the SEC is just not going to allow you to control tempo.

Adding more athletic players for conditioning and defense would be great, but they have to also add 3 pt shooters. Adams kept referring to Chris Lofton in Bruce Pearl's system. Not overly athletic, but could shoot the lights out. Our hope for this year is that Jewel can be Lofton like. Then we need to add more of them.

I don’t think that is a good example…. Early in the season and shortly after their top player quit…. She said it took awhile to get complete buy in and trust…. It took off after that… I wish there was full game video of the sunbelt championship game.

Reactions: knoxvol52
I don’t think that is a good example…. Early in the season and shortly after their top player quit…. She said it took awhile to get complete buy in and trust…. It took off after that… I wish there was full game video of the sunbelt championship game.
For sure, I looked hard for other games to watch. But other than Wake, there's only Va Tech . . .

Last edited:
That UConn block made me evil laugh like the Grinch, I love it!

That block was eeeliittteee!!!
This is why I’m sitting back laughing at all these statistic experts. And podcast analysts.

Tennessee has added some serious talent and natural basketball players. Alyssa Latham and Samara Spencer you put them on a court they just know how to play basketball.

You put Kaniya Boyd, Lazaria Spearman, and Talaysia Cooper on the court they have the athleticism to thrive against anyone.

Those five new pieces with the returnees is why Coach Caldwell has that look in her eyes of a coach ready to compete. She says this team and her as a coach will play with a chip on their shoulder.

All these statistics and predictions really ain’t nothing but fiction. It sounds good. This team is about to put on a show.

Last edited:
Who said anything about that? I’m talking about what others and I see on this forum.

And I notice lately someone is changing/ adding words in my post.. who could do that other than a moderator?
What happened to the commit you said was going to announce any moment on Sunday. You have yet to address my question multiple times?

I think it's funny when posters are trying to figure out how many shots the team will take during a game. It doesn't matter how fast you play you won't put up any more shots than the opponent unless you get a lot of offensive rebounds and they turn the ball over. 20 seconds, 35 seconds, it doesn't matter. If the team doesn't make the shots, it doesn't matter how fast you take them. The priority is to take a good shot, not a semi-good shot just to put it up. A fast-paced offense will only occur about half the time, depending on how that certain team is playing you. If the defense is running back after they take a shot and not trying to offensive rebound, the defense will be in position and a transition play can't occur. The team still has to have a decent half court offense, and I would hope that they will look for a good one. The main and most important player running this offense is the point guard. She must be willing to push every play if possible, and they must have good court vision to make that critical pass at the right time to the right person. You cannot predict how the offense will play until you see what the defense is giving you. Playing against good coaches like Dawn and Kim will be a challenge to what CKC will be able to run. Good luck to her, hopefully she has run into that scenario before, but unfortunately for her, the coaching level is a little more elite than in her past games.

Last edited:
Your conclusion is wrong as demonstrated ad nauseam.
Shooting early in the shot clock alone does not give you more possessions than your opponent in that particular game. I used the extreme example of one team taking a shot every 10 seconds and it's opponent taking one every 20 seconds. If you don't include other factors (rebounding, turnovers and fouls) both teams will take the SAME amount of shots, 2 per minute. One team will have "possession" twice as long as the other. But they will each have the same number of individual "possessions".
Turnovers, rebounding and fouls effect possessions and field goals attempted, when compared to your opponent, in a game.
You can lead a horse to water...
Does the team shooting it in 20 seconds get more shots in a game than a team shooting it every 27 seconds everything else being even. What is your answer. Because I showed it to you on the Marshall stats and you keep talking about possessions which are immaterial to winning a game. Shots made win games and shooting early in the shot clock while another team doesn't clearly gives you more chances to make points.

I think it's funny when posters are trying to figure out how many shots the team will take during a game. It doesn't matter how fast you play you won't put up any more shots than the opponent unless you get a lot of offensive rebounds and they turn the ball over. 20 seconds, 35 seconds, it doesn't matter. If the team doesn't make the shots, it doesn't matter how fast you take them. The priority is to take a good shot, not a semi-good shot just to put it up. A fast-paced offense will only occur about half the time, depending on how that certain team is playing you. If the defense is running back after they take a shot and not trying to offensive rebound, the defense will be in position and a transition play can't occur. The team still has to have a decent half court offense, and I would hope that they will look for a good one. The main and most important player running this offense is the point guard. She must be willing to push every play if possible, and they must have good court vision to make that critical pass at the right time to the right person. You cannot predict how the offensice will play until you see what the defense is giving you. Playing against good coaches like Dawn and Kim will be a challenge to what CKC will be able to run. Good luck to her, hopefully she has run into that scenario before, but unfortunately for her, the coaching level is a little more elite than in her past games.
Again let me run this by you all things being equal look at the Marshall basketball stats. If you shoot in 20 seconds and the other team takes 27 seconds who gets the most shots in a 40 minute game. Of course you have to rebound misses because I said all things being equal. If you notice Marshall stats rebounds were 39.4 to opponents 40.3. Turnovers were plus three. Shots per game were plus 11 so how did they do it. All variables being equal as you see rebounds were virtually even and turnovers a slight edge so it had to be shot clock management. Sorry if people can't see this but the stats are there to view.

Does the team shooting it in 20 seconds get more shots in a game than a team shooting it every 27 seconds everything else being even. What is your answer. Because I showed it to you on the Marshall stats and you keep talking about possessions which are immaterial to winning a game. Shots made win games and shooting early in the shot clock while another team doesn't clearly gives you more chances to make points.
If Team A shoots every 20 sec and Team B shoots every 27 secs, then each team completes 1 possession every 47 seconds. Let's pretend that both team shoot 100% and there are no rebounds or turnovers to create extra possessions. 40 min = 2400 sec. Divide by 47s, and both teams will average 51 possessions apiece.

If Team A and B both shoot every 27 secs, then possession each team completes 1 possession every 54 seconds. Using same criteria as above, both teams will average 44 possessions apiece.

No matter how many seconds a team takes to shoot, the only way a team will gain more shots than the other team is offensive rebounding to create multiple shot attempts in the same possession or forcing turnovers to limit the other team's # of possessions and shot opportunities.

All a team does by shooting quickly is create more potential possessions for both teams.

Again let me run this by you all things being equal look at the Marshall basketball stats. If you shoot in 20 seconds and the other team takes 27 seconds who gets the most shots in a 40 minute game. Of course you have to rebound misses because I said all things being equal. If you notice Marshall stats rebounds were 39.4 to opponents 40.3. Turnovers were plus three. Shots per game were plus 11 so how did they do it. All variables being equal as you see rebounds were virtually even and turnovers a slight edge so it had to be shot clock management. Sorry if people can't see this but the stats are there to view.
Turnovers were plus 8 for the season and shots were plus 12. Opponents shot 45% to their 42.5%. There were more chances for offensive rebounds for Marshall due to a little worse shooting, so they averaged 16.4 offensive rebounds per game. If the other team had less chances for offensive rebounding, say only 12, then there is your shot differential. Looking at their box scores where they really tried to build up an advantage on the other team was second chance points and points off of turnovers. If they were ahead by a large margin in those two categories, then they usually won those games even if they shot a worse %. If those two stats were close and Marshall shot a worse %, then they usually lost. In the VA Tech game, the two categories were almost identical and VA tech shot incredibly better, hence the large margin of defeat. ,

VN Store

Back