Tennessee Lady Vol News

Marta will most likely contribute and be better as she has matured. But she isn't going to be a Horston, a RJ, or a Key. If and a big if UT would just about go undefeated with 4 All SEC players.

Reactions: sisaq
I think another step NCAA should take after doing a great job adding portal system is to schedule teams just like pros instead of allowing coaches to pick who they want to play. Scheduling schools is another way to make the game tougher. Some coaches dosen't like to play anyone then makes it harder and risky to injury for teams that don't mind playing anyone.
That’s probably the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever read! Absolutely impossible in terms of logistics.

Reactions: olddog and sgacock
That’s probably the dumbest suggestion I’ve ever read! Absolutely impossible in terms of logistics.

Impossible but not dumb. All sports rules when ncaa started was some ppl that made them right and it was looked into be4 someone said yes lets do it.

Impossible but not dumb. All sports rules when ncaa started was some ppl that made them right and it was looked into be4 someone said yes lets do it.
The conference schedule is already made by the NCAA and conference as are the tournament schedules at the end of the season. No one will ever do anything about the non conference schedule that will always be the choices of the coach and school. What the NCAA needs to do is grade the non conference schedules fairly and award teams that play the top schedules and penalize those that don't when it come to tournaments.

Reactions: lvocd
Agreed. First of all, the conference eats up half the season. Second, the NCAA is like the Federal government - never give it more power than you have to. Third, a coach needs flexibility according to the team. A second year coaches needs ( Kim) are different than an entrenched (Dawn) coach. A money laden team like a Tennessee or SCar has different scheduling ability than a PAC team. Fourth, I could go on and on but I, kk just fall back on the second reason

Reactions: Voluble2
The conference schedule is already made by the NCAA and conference as are the tournament schedules at the end of the season. No one will ever do anything about the non conference schedule that will always be the choices of the coach and school. What the NCAA needs to do is grade the non conference schedules fairly and award teams that play the top schedules and penalize those that don't when it come to tournaments.

Great explanation....But not to insult someone's comment as the dumbest thing ever read in ur life. There's dumbest things said in America u never seen or heard them? 🙄 😆 🤣 why would some fans be so hateful when comment is not that serious. I think some ppl carry their problems and anger from home into this site. It's not that serious ppl we are grown atleast 34, 35yrs old. Enjoy ur beautiful day & be bless

Marta will most likely contribute and be better as she has matured. But she isn't going to be a Horston, a RJ, or a Key. If and a big if UT would just about go undefeated with 4 All SEC players.

I wouldn’t be shocked if she has as good a career as Horston and Key. Marta is a talented player. She was All-SEC freshman team for a reason. Lots of opposing coaches had things to say about her as a freshman and she wasn’t even totally healthy.

She can play inside out, handle, shoot the 3, defend and has a great transition game. She can also set the offense up and take someone 1-1 with success. She’s going to contribute in a major way as she progresses so long as she stays healthy.

I wouldn’t be shocked if she has as good a career as Horston and Key. Marta is a talented player. She was All-SEC freshman team for a reason. Lots of opposing coaches had things to say about her as a freshman and she wasn’t even totally healthy.

She can play inside out, handle, shoot the 3, defend and has a great transition game. She can also set the offense up and take someone 1-1 with success. She’s going to contribute in a major way as she progresses so long as she stays healthy.

The one and only area of Marta's game that isn't phenomenal is, to my eye anyway, that she isn't very quick. She gets the job done for the most part, but it remains to be seen how she'd fare if opposing coaches stick their quickest defender on her.

But OMG! I think she may be this season's Keyen Green as far as leadership is concerned. In the Carson-Newman game she was the one always directing teammates and talking to them on the floor. And when she shoots she KNOWS it's going in. You can see that in her body language. I could not be happier knowing we've got three full seasons of Marta Suarez to look forward to. 🤗

In my opinion, the only reason Marta or Puckett isn’t starting is because the LVs landed the most explosive scorer in WCBB Rickea Jackson. Both are good enough to start for several ranked teams. Hollingshead as well is a starter caliber player coming off the bench.

I think half of the SEC schools would trade their team for our second string ! JMO

The one and only area of Marta's game that isn't phenomenal is, to my eye anyway, that she isn't very quick. She gets the job done for the most part, but it remains to be seen how she'd fare if opposing coaches stick their quickest defender on her.

But OMG! I think she may be this season's Keyen Green as far as leadership is concerned. In the Carson-Newman game she was the one always directing teammates and talking to them on the floor. And when she shoots she KNOWS it's going in. You can see that in her body language. I could not be happier knowing we've got three full seasons of Marta Suarez to look forward to. 🤗

Actually 4 if she wants to stay 4 more ! Her COVID and red shirt injury don’t count ! Just Saying

Reactions: lvocd and VolBall09
If your going to shoot the three at least 15 to 20 times a game then you need Marta, Sarah, Justine, or Tess maybe two of them in the lineup a lot of the game. This really opens it up for Rickea and Jordan and they know how to work the offense to get them open looks as does Powell. I think one should be starting over Walker JMO and the others should play a lot depending on the matchups with the other team. We made 147 threes last season. If we don't get well over 200 this season and increase the percentage by at least four points from 30 to 34 will be disappointed cause we have the talent to do that easily. If your thinking about numbers then Tess and Justine go about 38 percent looks like Marta should get close to that as well with the stroke I saw in the exhibition game. Puckett went 30 last season think that goes up this season. Powell is a 32 percent three pointer for her career. Jackson and Horston shoot it around thirty. Walker may be better not being a point guard, but she is an option way down the line to take a lot of them this season.

One thing that stands out in the tons of new video content we are getting about the players and program (shoutout to @Volfan2012 for sharing those videos) is how poised and articulate our girls are when discussing basketball. Marta stands out as someone with a coach's eye for the game. Jordy and Tess also embody the poised leadership roles. Really excited to see more as the season goes on!

I go back and forth between Walker starting versus Marta or Puckett. Walker, according to Coach, is one of the best defenders on the team. I think having her leadership and defense to hold down the other teams' smaller guards is critical for us at the start of any game. I imagine Walker will be that 5th starter for those reasons.

Bird wasn't quick either....She could be our Larry bird!!

"Extreme pressure when you have the talent she has to work with this season."
If tallent is the reason you have pressure then we'll take that pressure any time.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I go back and forth between Walker starting versus Marta or Puckett. Walker, according to Coach, is one of the best defenders on the team. I think having her leadership and defense to hold down the other teams' smaller guards is critical for us at the start of any game. I imagine Walker will be that 5th starter for those reasons.

I'm not convinced that's the best starting lineup, either. I'd like to see if the team does better with another rebounder/post scorer in the starting lineup, such as Franklin or Hollingshead. But the coach knows a ton more basketball than me, so I'm ok with it either way.

I'm not convinced that's the best starting lineup, either. I'd like to see if the team does better with another rebounder/post scorer in the starting lineup, such as Franklin or Hollingshead. But the coach knows a ton more basketball than me, so I'm ok with it either way.

Matchups will probably play a big role in who starts in that last spot. I could see it changing every night depending on who we play or who had a great practice etc...

Agree on all points, but I think KJH thinks Walker brings a calm maturity and focus to get the game started on the right foot. Also, her motor is always on high and that helps set a tone. But we probably got a good indication how that will go when Walker got subbed out just 5 mins into the game last Sunday. It was Darby who subbed against C-N, but I also think eventually it will be Marta or Puckett getting the majority of those mins.

Walker is like a good baseball utility player; there's alot she does well and can be inserted in lots of different situations so I think she gets plenty of important mins.

At first at least, I see Franklin/Hollingshead as relief for Key, and very high quality relief at that.

Agree on all points, but I think KJH thinks Walker brings a calm maturity and focus to get the game started on the right foot. Also, her motor is always on high and that helps set a tone. But we probably got a good indication how that will go when Walker got subbed out just 5 mins into the game last Sunday. It was Darby who subbed against C-N, but I also think eventually it will be Marta or Puckett getting the majority of those mins.

Walker is like a good baseball utility player; there's alot she does well and can be inserted in lots of different situations so I think she gets plenty of important mins.

At first at least, I see Franklin/Hollingshead as relief for Key, and very high quality relief at that.

Thoughtful post, thanks. I guess Kellie wants a coach on the floor to get the game going on the right foot. That makes sense, at least early in the season. I see Franklin as a four. She's undersized a bit at that, but I know she was a 5 at Mo State. I see Hollingshead and Srtriplin as depth for the 5.

Over the years I have heard so many people talk smack about Tamari Key on this site from her hair, to her eyelashes to her ineffective play on the court. She was ranked 47th out of high school and has shown what can happen when coaches develop players. Wonder what the nay-sayers thought about all the other great players of the past? KEY PILING UP NUMBERS ON BOTH ENDS • Senior Tamari Key is significantly impacting Tennessee on both ends of the floor with her 6-foot-6 frame. • Defensively, the Lady Vol center set school records in 2021-22 for most blocks in a season (119), highest block average in a season (3.500) and most blocks in a career (277), and she ranks No. 1 through three seasons with the highest career block average (3.08). • Offensively, she is a career .588 shooter on field goals through three seasons, ranking fifth at UT in that category. • Key also became the first Lady Vol to post more than one career triple-double, carding one in her sophomore season and adding another a year ago, tallying double-figures in points, rebounds and blocks in those efforts.

VN Store

Back