Tennessee Lady Vol News

press release from Youngstown State Forward Emily Saunders has signed a grant-in-aid to transfer to Youngstown State from the University of Tennessee, YSU head coach John Barnes announced on Tuesday.
Saunders, a 6-foot-5 post from New Richmond, W. Va., was one of the most highly-touted posts in the country coming out of Wyoming East High School before she spent three seasons with the Lady Vols.
Saunders continues a summer trend of West Virginia natives finding their way to Youngstown State from the transfer portal. She joins guards Dena Jarrells and Shay-Lee Kirby, who both signed to become Penguins in April. Saunders, Jarrells, Kirby and Paige Shy, who played for YSU in 2021-22, were AAU teammates in the West Virginia Thunder program. All four of those student-athletes will have two years of eligibility remaining at Youngstown State.
"Emily brings not only great size, but also a presence in the paint that will definitely be felt by our opponents," Barnes said. "She is a great student and teammate who puts those around her in front of herself. We have watched Emily for years, and everyone from YSU is extremely excited to see her don the Penguins uniform next season."
Saunders played in 60 games over three seasons in Knoxville, and she played in a career-high 20 games as a junior in 2021-22. She shot 54.5 percent from the field and 60 percent from the free-throw line while posting career averages of 1.5 points and 1.2 rebounds. Her best statistical season came her freshman year when she averaged 3.7 points and 2.2 rebounds while shooting 70.8 percent from the field. Saunders was named to the SEC Academic Honor Roll in both 2019-20 and 2020-21.
Saunders was one of the top post players in the country in high school. She was ranked as the 88th-ranked overall player, the 18th-ranked post player and as a four-star recruit by ProspectsNation.com, and she was the No. 187 overall player in Dan Olson College Girls' Basketball Report. She was the Gatorade West Virginia Player of the Year as a senior in 2019, she was tabbed an all-state selection every season by multiple outlets. Saunders helped lead Wyoming East to three Class AA state championship game appearances and a state title in 2016. Her point guard in that championship season was former Penguin guard Gabby Lupardus. Saunders scored 1,243 points and had 892 rebounds and 559 blocks during her high school career.
Print Friendly Version
re

Lynx Sign Guard Odyssey Sims - Minnesota Lynx

"MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – The Minnesota Lynx today announced the team has signed guard Odyssey Sims to a training camp contract. In subsequent moves, the Lynx have waived guards Layshia Clarendon, Crystal Dangerfield and Yvonne Turner along with forwards Rennia Davis and Kayla Jones and center Hannah Sjerven. Per team policy, terms of Sims’ deal were not released."

Wow. It is brutal out here.

From Rookie of the Year to off the team just two years later... life comes at you fast.

What's your favorite memory from the Rennia Davis-Lynx era?

From Rookie of the Year to off the team just two years later... life comes at you fast.

What's your favorite memory from the Rennia Davis-Lynx era?
There's a chance that Minny will swoop in and take at least one of those players off the waivers as a hardship exemption or something, but it will likely be one of the PGs.

A lot of folks on here are very negative towards BG and it seemed you wanted someone to say she broke a law instead of just saying it was a nightmare.
So now my question- why did you ask when you knew the answer?
Because when I think of the WNBA I don't think of Griner. She is not the face of the league....

Reactions: Deebowbear
Because when I think of the WNBA I don't think of Griner. She is not the face of the league....
No, my question was when someone mentioned a nightmare for BG you asked what that might be when you clearly knew what the issue was - breaking some countries laws. So why ask when you knew what had happened.
As an aside anyone who breaks Russian laws is okay with me.

No, my question was when someone mentioned a nightmare for BG you asked what that might be when you clearly knew what the issue was - breaking some countries laws. So why ask when you knew what had happened.
The subject was support for the WNBA ...If you wish to carry the Griner banner that's on you. She is not the face of the league.

Reactions: Deebowbear
The quote was "the ongoing Griner nightmare" lots of good going on with the league.Why bring her into the equation???

Atlanta wasn't unique, teams were bought and sold in other cities and the same things happened in them. They were so worried about losing the NBA's financial support that they wouldn't step out on a limb and get aggressive in growth. All I could do was watch it happen. I offered to step in and help, but the aim was buy and sell, not buy and grow.

Seems that it still has that same mentality. Too scared of taking risks to grow.

By and large, WNBA teams don't turn a profit for their owners. If I was a multi-millionaire, I wouldn't be interested in buying a team if I knew it would be a money pit and I would be paying not just the upfront fees, but having to cover the operating costs while the players b!tch about being "underpaid". No thank you...not unless I'm a bleeding heart who considers the team a charitable donation as opposed to a business investment. That's probably why there's no opportunity for expansion: not enough investors with deep pockets willing to buy a team while knowing that they will get no ROI AND will lose even more money year-over-year. Seems the NBA doesn't mind doing that for the teams that they own since they get positive feedback for supporting women's sports...which does add value to their brand...but their pockets are way deeper than the average owner.

But I agree with your earlier theory that If the women who all attend men's NBA and college basketball games supported the WNBA, then the league would thrive. But it seems they prefer to commit to men's basketball instead, so there's that.

A lot of folks on here are very negative towards BG and it seemed you wanted someone to say she broke a law instead of just saying it was a nightmare.
So now my question- why did you ask when you knew the answer?

Plus we don't know that she broke a law. I am not typically into conspiracy theories, but it would be totally nuts for someone to try to smuggle pot at a Russian airport where everyone knows things are checked. If someone is that out of control with their drug use, they would be getting in trouble for stupid impulsive behavior all the time. Many in the WNBA believe it was planted. We do know that Russia is about as anti-gay as any country can be, and that they pull over and incarcerate gay citizens all the time for no reason other than hearsay. One can only imagine that Griner, a hyper masculine high profile American player who is lesbian could be targeted in Russia during this period of intense conflict between our countries. To me this is more believable than after all these years that Griner has being playing ball over there and in Europe that she decided out of the blue that she was going to carry pot in the check-in at the airport in Russia. What would be the point. She has money and can get pot anywhere she goes. She certainly can't smoke on board. It makes no sense. I have no trust in what Russia is saying about the situation. The fact that they won't extradite makes the whole thing seem more political than anything else.

I am certainly no big BG fan but I am a fan of human decency. She is being used as a political toy. This is not about the law. She needs to return home.

Reactions: glv98
I have about four times ..you just don't like the answer.....what are you after???
Answering that you don’t consider BG the face of the WNBA or even a significant player does not explain why you did not accept someone calling her arrest a nightmare. You responded to that post by asking what did she do to get arrested? You asked this when you already knew it was a drug related arrest. This seems like an attempt to throw shade on BG.
After this lengthy back and forth I am wondering if your question was related to the use of the word nightmare not the arrest? As in why was this a nightmare versus why was there an arrest. We obviously are not on the same page here.

Answering that you don’t consider BG the face of the WNBA or even a significant player does not explain why you did not accept someone calling her arrest a nightmare. You responded to that post by asking what did she do to get arrested? You asked this when you already knew it was a drug related arrest. This seems like an attempt to throw shade on BG.
After this lengthy back and forth I am wondering if your question was related to the use of the word nightmare not the arrest? As in why was this a nightmare versus why was there an arrest. We obviously are not on the same page here.

Just a couple of follow-up points on Memvol44's "different page"

The United States government has offficially classified Brittany Griner as "wrongfully detained."
U.S. now considers Griner 'wrongfully detained'

From the NYT, here are the conditions that lead to such a classification:

A law passed by Congress in 2020 established 11 criteria for such a designation, any one of which can be a sufficient basis to secure the detainee’s release, including “credible information indicating innocence of the detained individual,” “credible reports that the detention is a pretext for an illegitimate purpose,” or a conclusion that U.S. “diplomatic engagement is likely necessary.”

While Memvol44 is free to not consider Griner "the face of the WNBA," it is more consequential that WNBA does:

on May 3 that it will feature Griner's initials and jersey number (No. 42) on the sideline of all WNBA courts this season. The league also granted the Mercury roster and salary cap relief so they can carry a replacement player. Griner will continue to be paid her full salary.

"As we begin the 2022 season, we are keeping Brittney at the forefront of what we do through the game of basketball and in the community," WNBA commissioner Cathy Engelbert said in a statement. "We continue to work on bringing Brittney home and are appreciative of the support the community has shown BG and her family during this extraordinarily challenging time."

Last but not least, anyone who objects to the appellation "nightmare" being used in reference to someone who has been arrested and wrongfully detained by a country with an abhorrent human rights record and that is currently committing war crimes, well, they really need to re-assess their priorities.

Please don't misquote me .. I asked what is the nightmare.......her arrest has little to do with the status of the WNBA......my quote was "apparently using drugs"...... Not saying she is innocent or guilty..thus the word apparently.......which in my opinion has nothing to do with the status of the league.

Just a couple of follow-up points on Memvol44's "different page"

The United States government has offficially classified Brittany Griner as "wrongfully detained."
U.S. now considers Griner 'wrongfully detained'

From the NYT, here are the conditions that lead to such a classification:

While Memvol44 is free to not consider Griner "the face of the WNBA," it is more consequential that WNBA does:

Last but not least, anyone who objects to the appellation "nightmare" being used in reference to someone who has been arrested and wrongfully detained by a country with an abhorrent human rights record and that is currently committing war crimes, well, they really need to re-assess their priorities.
Your just a fountain of misinformation.... The subject at hand was the status of the League. I used the term apparently niether saying guilty or innocent....And the Griner "nightmare" has really nothing to do with the subject at hand..

VN Store

Back