Tennessee Lady Vol News

Coach Harper keeps talking about Puckett as the player that can do it all. I felt the same way after seeing her play a few times and her work ethic. I watched a lot of that World Tourney that had both Citron number 15 Notre Dame and number 12 Verhulst Louisville and just kept thinking that Puckett was a good as either one of them just not ranked as high. I will be delighted if she proves this to be true because both Citron and Verhulst are terrific players, but so is Puckett.

Coach Harper keeps talking about Puckett as the player that can do it all. I felt the same way after seeing her play a few times and her work ethic. I watched a lot of that World Tourney that had both Citron number 15 Notre Dame and number 12 Verhulst Louisville and just kept thinking that Puckett was a good as either one of them just not ranked as high. I will be delighted if she proves this to be true because both Citron and Verhulst are terrific players, but so is Puckett.

I think her ranking like Striplin is because the talent level of play in Ala is far below the talent in other states. I could be wrong but i don`t think so. Now with that being said she can play with on the level with the likes of Citron, Verhulst.

I think her ranking like Striplin is because the talent level of play in Ala is far below the talent in other states. I could be wrong but i don`t think so. Now with that being said she can play with on the level with the likes of Citron, Verhulst.

That's weird because a lot of the ranking people are those that go around to summer AAU circuits and view them there. One would think their rankings came at least in part from those that watched them against AAU competition and they were on the Nike Circuit.

If rankings were based solely on HS performance a player like Teonni who barely played/did not play shouldn't have been ranked at all. Not disagreeing with your statement but just food for thought.

Love seeing Horston on the Ann Meyers-Drysdale pre-season list. Hopeful that means she has accepted her role as a shooting guard rather than a PG. Thats where she can affect the game the most with her skill set, build and athleticism. Cannot wait for this season!

That's weird because a lot of the ranking people are those that go around to summer AAU circuits and view them there. One would think their rankings came at least in part from those that watched them against AAU competition and they were on the Nike Circuit.

If rankings were based solely on HS performance a player like Teonni who barely played/did not play shouldn't have been ranked at all. Not disagreeing with your statement but just food for thought.

Correct part of the ranking are from the AAU circuits, But a lots of the rankings also are from your HS team schedule and level of competition and the player skill set. Like Bishop McNamara High School MD. That team is loaded with a lot of talent and there schedule is very difficult they play teams in 3 different states DC,NJ,VA. and very good teams. As Teonni fair maybe she should not have been ranked she took the year due to covid and to heel. But as for her rankings as one of the best players in the country no argument from me. I hear you VA thanks

Love seeing Horston on the Ann Meyers-Drysdale pre-season list. Hopeful that means she has accepted her role as a shooting guard rather than a PG. Thats where she can affect the game the most with her skill set, build and athleticism. Cannot wait for this season!

Everyone else can clearly see that, the question is whether Kellie is smart enough to play her there...

Everyone else can clearly see that, the question is whether Kellie is smart enough to play her there...

Kellie would have had to nominate her for the AMD award for that position I think. So they have likely discussed at length that she’ll be playing off ball. May have been a goal for them together for her to be the best 2 guard in the country.

Who is this “everyone else”that you refer to? I would venture to say that just as many “everyone else” might say Jordan has the talent to be an amazing point guard. Also you have no idea about whether Kellie is smart or not because you cannot see past your petty grievances and bias.

I'm sure she will play most her minutes at off guard, but will also need to fill in at PG for Walker. I don't think Miles will be game ready this season to keep Horston free from PG duties.
I am wondering if Kaiya Wynn has the ability to slide over to the pg position for some backup. Most combo guards can, hence the word combo. She did play the position some in high school and she is fast and Kellie keeps saying she is a great on-ball defender. If her handles are good enough, she may be able to back that position up some too. I know Kellie likes to have at least 3 that can play the position. In her first season, she had Jazmine Massengill, Zaay Green, and Jordon all playing the spot, which was very smart considering what happened to Zaay a game or two into the season.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I am wondering if Kaiya Wynn has the ability to slide over to the pg position for some backup. Most combo guards can, hence the word combo. She did play the position some in high school and she is fast and Kellie keeps saying she is a great on-ball defender. If her handles are good enough, she may be able to back that position up some too. I know Kellie likes to have at least 3 that can play the position. In her first season, she had Jazmine Massengill, Zaay Green, and Jordon all playing the spot, which was very smart considering what happened to Zaay a game or two into the season.
When I think of effective "combo guards", they are usually PGs that have scoring prowess and can play off the ball (Bueckers, Clark, and Ionescu are recent examples that come to mind). Having a SG try to play PG seems to be a much harder transition, even if they are a combo guard. Jordan Walker is a perfect example of that.

If a freshman had to play some backup, I'd rather it be Miles since that is her natural position and she'll likely need to play there a lot next season. Even then, I still think Horston will play primary backup to Walker.

I'm sure she will play most her minutes at off guard, but will also need to fill in at PG for Walker. I don't think Miles will be game ready this season to keep Horston free from PG duties.

That's what I'm afraid of. I have serious doubts about Walker holding up this season. After she and Horston limped through the season at PG last year, literally, why Kellie decided to run it back with those two is beyond me...

Why? Her shooting % is pedestrian. And given her height, strength, and rebounding hops, plus her slashing ability, why shouldn't she be the three on this team instead of the 2? Burrell is a much better shooter than Horston. Why would you think Kellie should play Horston at the 2 instead of the 3? Do you really question her intelligence as a three time national champ point guard?

When I think of effective "combo guards", they are usually PGs that have scoring prowess and can play off the ball (Bueckers, Clark, and Ionescu are recent examples that come to mind). Having a SG try to play PG seems to be a much harder transition, even if they are a combo guard. Jordan Walker is a perfect example of that.

If a freshman had to play some backup, I'd rather it be Miles since that is her natural position and she'll likely need to play there a lot next season. Even then, I still think Horston will play primary backup to Walker.

Or you can have something like the young lady who went from LSU fo Baylor and was a major piece in their national championship team.

Not always the case but i am intrigued to see how/if walker adapts

That's what I'm afraid of. I have serious doubts about Walker holding up this season. After she and Horston limped through the season at PG last year, literally, why Kellie decided to run it back with those two is beyond me...

I'm gonna ignore this one, because it isn't clear what you mean by "run it back."

VN Store

Back