Tennessee Lady Vol News

Cora Hall stated in today's News-Sentinel that Tess Darby was back at practice on Tuesday.
Very good news for the Lady Vols.

Most definitely. Sounds like she was just exposed to a positive case rather than having it herself. Great news as I was concerned we might see more players out over the next two/three weeks.

Also good because a lot of players who were actively sick have looked really sluggish for a while after coming back. When I had it I felt like it took me a month to 6 weeks before I felt all the way normal again and I’m young and healthy.

From the Auburn game article......

The NCAA Committee will share its first projected women's tournament bracket of 2021-22 on Thursday night (1/27), highlighting the current top 16 seeds who can earn the right to host if they remain among those seeds when the official bracket is announced on Sunday, March 13. The first reveal will take place at halftime of Thursday's South Carolina/Ole Miss game, which tips at 6 p.m. ET on ESPN. Additional halftime reveals are scheduled for Feb. 10 (South Carolina vs. Kentucky, 7 p.m. ET, ESPN) and Feb. 28 (Baylor vs. Iowa State, 7 p.m. ET, ESPN2).

Getting vaxed has nothing to do with it!

I'm not taking a position on here that vax = good or vax = bad. It is a fact that the current policy is that if you are vax'd, you can play until you test positive. If you are unvax'd, you can be contact traced and miss multiple games or possibly the entire SEC Tourny. If she missed the entire SECT without even testing positive, that would suck, right?

I'm not taking a position on here that vax = good or vax = bad. It is a fact that the current policy is that if you are vax'd, you can play until you test positive. If you are unvax'd, you can be contact traced and miss multiple games or possibly the entire SEC Tourny. If she missed the entire SECT without even testing positive, that would suck, right?

Yes and thanks for not taking us down that path.

Poll make sure that Uconn didn't drop up to #15... They lose to unranked teams, they drop one step back. They win unranked team, one step forward. I can't wait to see how they rank Lady vols come Monday..

May be an unpopular opinion but I think it’s high time Kellie get over the fouls in the first half.

In this next game I would like to see her leave Tamari out there after she picks up her first. It kills us when she is off the floor. At some point she has to learn to play through it a little bit. The officials are never going to let her move like smaller players, she’s gonna pick up a cheap foul here and there.

The Auburn game was proof enough that we have zero depth at the 5. We are better off leaving Tamari out there and having her play her hardest for as long as she can. At least that way we can build a sizable lead and then we can get her a break. Or afford for her to foul out in the second half, as long as we are ahead a good margin.

May be an unpopular opinion but I think it’s high time Kellie get over the fouls in the first half.

In this next game I would like to see her leave Tamari out there after she picks up her first. It kills us when she is off the floor. At some point she has to learn to play through it a little bit. The officials are never going to let her move like smaller players, she’s gonna pick up a cheap foul here and there.

The Auburn game was proof enough that we have zero depth at the 5. We are better off leaving Tamari out there and having her play her hardest for as long as she can. At least that way we can build a sizable lead and then we can get her a break. Or afford for her to foul out in the second half, as long as we are ahead a good margin.
I get where you are coming from but recently her fouls have not been because of what she has done defensively but rather just running up the court and trying to get into position to post up when a guard steps in her path. If Kellie just lets her play and those are called on her back to back and she picks up an early 3 fouls then people will be screaming why Kellie didn't take her out.

What we need to see is better production from players when Key has to sit. When she had to sit prior to Keyen being out there was rarely a drop off because Keyen would step in to draw charges and she would also look to score. Emily has to trust herself to be able to rebound, block shots, and when guarded 1 on 1 make a move and not constantly look to pass the ball. We should be able to survive with her (Key) out for a couple of minutes, we just need to everyone to step up while she is sitting.

I get where you are coming from but recently her fouls have not been because of what she has done defensively but rather just running up the court and trying to get into position to post up when a guard steps in her path. If Kellie just lets her play and those are called on her back to back and she picks up an early 3 fouls then people will be screaming why Kellie didn't take her out.

What we need to see is better production from players when Key has to sit. When she had to sit prior to Keyen being out there was rarely a drop off because Keyen would step in to draw charges and she would also look to score. Emily has to trust herself to be able to rebound, block shots, and when guarded 1 on 1 make a move and not constantly look to pass the ball. We should be able to survive with her (Key) out for a couple of minutes, we just need to everyone to step up while she is sitting.

In an ideal world that is great, in reality we do not have anyone that can bring it off the bench right now.

Our other starters are maxed out aside from maybe Horston. But if she tries to do too much her turnovers shoot through the roof and she loses confidence.

I agree a lot of TKs calls have been positioning calls. Something I think the NCAA needs to take a look at. It’s super common in the SEC and it has to stop. There is no reason for a 5’6” player to be lining up in “defensive position” against Tamari. Like is she really gonna guard her? No. She’s just there tying to pick up a cheap foul. Not much we can do about those.

I maintain Kellie has to start leaving her out there though. We are better off building a 15-20 point lead and having her foul out 3 minutes into the 4th quarter than we are sitting her for half the game and letting teams shoot layups and turn us over. She’s our main pressure release against these overplaying defenses as well. Something Emily isn’t comfortable doing. Tamari often releases to the top of the key to get the ball from Walker so we can reset our offense.

Last edited:
I maintain Kellie has to start leaving her out there though. We are better off building a 15-20 point lead and having her foul out 3 minutes into the 4th quarter than we are sitting her for half the game and letting teams shoot layups and turn us over. She’s our main pressure release against these overplaying defenses as well. Something Emily isn’t comfortable doing. Tamari often releases to the top of the key to get the ball from Walker so we can reset our offense.

This is also how I feel about it. IF -- and yes, that's a big "if" -- we can build a 15-20-point lead by the 4th quarter, there's also a better chance in the fourth quarter that the opponent could start having some issues with fatigue, and that would benefit Emily and Karoline if they were to need to take over at that point. Having either of them sub in while the opponent is still fresh means there's a higher risk of reaction-time differences will be quickly exposed. If that same opponent has naturally slowed down a tad because she's getting tired, that's better for our subs.

I am definitely on Team Leave Tamari In. She may not, and like will not, always get to be full-on "Tamari the Enforcer" if she's being more careful not to foul, but even a more tentative Key will still help the team as long as she's on the floor.

Even though Kellie may pull Tamari after a foul in the first quarter, Tamari still comes back in the game in the second and third quarters.

In basketball, 15 points can disappear in a couple of minutes. Much as we need Tamari on the court as much as possible, totally agree with Kellie, we must have Tamari there for us in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
In an ideal world that is great, in reality we do not have anyone that can bring it off the bench right now.

Our other starters are maxed out aside from maybe Horston. But if she tries to do too much her turnovers shoot through the roof and she loses confidence.

I agree a lot of TKs calls have been positioning calls. Something I think the NCAA needs to take a look at. It’s super common in the SEC and it has to stop. There is no reason for a 5’6” player to be lining up in “defensive position” against Tamari. Like is she really gonna guard her? No. She’s just there tying to pick up a cheap foul. Not much we can do about those.

I am writing the NCAA rules committee re this
This compares to "flopping"
Getting ahead of an impact player and just stopping in front of them
somebody's going to get hurt by this

I am writing the NCAA rules committee re this
This compares to "flopping"
Getting ahead of an impact player and just stopping in front of them
somebody's going to get hurt by this

Yes, the one at UGA really pissed me off. Morrison literally hid behind Staiti. Tamari didn’t even know she was there. She waited until TK glanced back to look for the ball then slid out from behind Staiti and flopped. Should have been a defensive foul.

If that is the case you adjust your lineup to get more bench production.

IE, Walker has never played the PG position in College and rarely in high school and she is playing it for us which has her facilitating more when she would rather be trying to score. Snoop was successful at Troy because they ran a 4 out 1 in, when she gets her touches Key is often on the opposite box so the person defending Key can double off and help Snoops defender which often leads to snoop turning the ball over when she puts it on the ground.

I say that to say maybe we should shake up the lineup.

I am not kellie nor will I pretend to be and don't mind if others thinks this lineup is foolish but I would start the following:

PG-Brooklyn
SG-Walker
SF-Horston
PF-Puckett
C-TK

Brooklyn doesn't look to score and looks to facilitate so it frees Walker up to score like she did last game. Puckett also can stretch the floor from the outside which eliminates the double teams in the paint. Your first sub would be Rae in for Brooklyn and Snoop in for Puckett with Walker then sliding over to the PG. If Walker needs a breather then you bring in Tess as Horston slides to the PG slot. Against Arkansas you can almost go small ball behind Key and if that is the case you use Striplin and Puckett in spurts as her back up. Emily and Rennie would not play (unless they absolutely had to) and Tess and Wynn would be based on situation.

VN Store

Back