Tennessee hires Rod Clark

Luke Barnwell (sunrise Christian coach) thinks a lot of him... I wouldn’t mind to see Barnwell on the staff. Lol

Well, that is a bit limited because he has 3 years of coaching experience (1 at UI-Chicago, and 2 at Austin Peay), but he landed Donte Houston at Austin Peay when he had offers from Houston, TCU, Seton Hall, and Saint Louis. That may seem like small potatoes, but given the profile of AP in comparison to the other teams, it's pretty significant.

It's also not fair to discount his high school relationships, especially in the Midwest and directly tied to Sunrise Christian Academy.

Feel free to remain skeptical if you like, but if you persist on being on the "see it to believe it" train, you will perpetually be behind the 8-ball. Sometimes you just have to have faith that the people in charge are making the right decisions, and as I said before, Barnes has been on point in staff hires. If I'm of the "see it to believe it" viewpoint, it is more likely to be in relation to the idea of one of his assistants NOT panning out based on history at Tennessee.

Maybe Clark can give Barnes some tips on Porter Moser's defensive techniques.

No one. The Bradys just leave him out of all the reunions.
Bwaa-ha-ha, I actually liked Oliver, gave Bobby a road dog, but that was "Jumping the Shark" before "JtS" was a thing. Should be called "Adding Cousin Oliver", but doesn't sound as good

You're comparing apples and parakeets.

My point is it's not always a sure thing.

Barnes has always made solid coaching hires but this guy is light on experience. You're hoping he reaches his potential. He is not a proven commodity. There was a good chance he was on the way out of the door at APSU due to the coaching change. I like some of his resume items and potential but as someone mentioned because of his experience and programs he's been at we don't see the track record for landing big recruits yet.

My point is it's not always a sure thing.

Barnes has always made solid coaching hires but this guy is light on experience. You're hoping he reaches his potential. He is not a proven commodity. There was a good chance he was on the way out of the door at APSU due to the coaching change. I like some of his resume items and potential but as someone mentioned because of his experience and programs he's been at we don't see the track record for landing big recruits yet.

If you don’t see how Clark will help in recruiting I honestly just don’t think you follow or understand college basketball recruiting enough

If you don’t see how Clark will help in recruiting I honestly just don’t think you follow or understand college basketball recruiting enough

Help in relation to whom? I think we can all agree that most coaches don't hurt.

Your comment has no basis of comparison.

I want him to be successful but the proof will be in the pudding. He has a good background at the high school level. Since he is replacing English, I hope he does more than just recruit. There is a reason English found a head coaching gig quickly.

Last edited:
Someone said he recruited the best recruit ever in Austin Peay’s history. But even if he doesn’t have a ton of experience, recruiting is about relationships, and he seems to be connected. Schwartz is our X’s and O’s guy, and Rick has hired just a few assistants.

Someone is wrong. The best player ever recruited to Austin Peay has been and always will be James “Fly” Williams.

Reactions: walkenvol
Someone is wrong. The best player ever recruited to Austin Peay has been and always will be James “Fly” Williams.

Well I don’t follow Austin Peay, and they didn’t have recruiting rankings in the 70’s. So anytime someone talks about rankings, it’s going to be in the last 25 years.

Well I don’t follow Austin Peay, and they didn’t have recruiting rankings in the 70’s. So anytime someone talks about rankings, it’s going to be in the last 25 years.

Well Google him then. Led AP to 2 NCAAs as fresh & soph, almost beat Ky in NCAA, (lost something like 106-100 in 2OT) one of nations leading scorers as a freshmen & soph when NCAA was dominated by jrs & srs. Probably the best mid major college player to ever play at any school in Tennessee IMO.

Reactions: germanicus
I read this morning that UT is targeting Justin Gainey from Marquette. I'm sure our interest in Jonas Aidoo is a huge factor, but after reading his bio at the Marquette site, I'm still sitting with questions. Is this guy an X and O hire or another ace recruiter? If its' the latter, where is his area of connection? Someone care to fill me in in this guy?

VN Store

Back